2023 B1G Championship: #2 Michigan Wolverines (12-0) vs. #16 Iowa Hawkeyes (10-2)

MichiganCardinal

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jerry Palm is projecting 1. UM 2. UW 3. FSU 4. Texas.  In this scenario Michigan would get the tougher matchup despite being number 1 which seems pretty unfair to me but I suppose you could've said the same last year where Georgia was 1 but got OSU and we were 2 and got TCU. 

i was hoping for michigan-washington in the rose bowl one last time.  not because i think washington sucks, but because of the big ten pac ten rivalry.

• Thanks 1

i cant believe he didnt say anything.  not one word of congrats.  nothing.  what a total pussy.

its YOUR JOB.  you wouldnt even stand there and say congrats like every commissioner has ever done.  take the boos like they all do.  they boo goddell every year.  betman.  all of them get booed.  its part of the job of being in charge.

the big ten is such a joke to hire this tv shill.  it really tells you who runs college sports: espn, nbc, cbs, and fox.

The more I think about the CFP selection, the less debate I think there should really be. You have three undefeated conference champions and the 4th and 5th 12-1 conference champions played each other. If roles were reversed, and Alabama had beat Texas and then lost to Tennessee or LSU, there wouldn’t be debate about putting them in over Texas. Why should there be controversy now?

The debate is literally just because instead of shafting the PAC-12, Big 12, or ACC this year, this stupid system that narrows 130 teams to 4 is shafting the SEC. Boohoo. Win the games.

Alabama didn’t have to schedule Texas, but they did. Texas didn’t have to schedule Alabama, but they did. This is the consequence of their mutual choice.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The more I think about the CFP selection, the less debate I think there should really be. You have three undefeated conference champions and the 4th and 5th 12-1 conference champions played each other. If roles were reversed, and Alabama had beat Texas and then lost to Tennessee or LSU, there wouldn’t be debate about putting them in over Texas. Why should there be controversy now?

The debate is literally just because instead of shafting the PAC-12, Big 12, or ACC this year, this stupid system that narrows 130 teams to 4 is shafting the SEC. Boohoo. Win the games.

Alabama didn’t have to schedule Texas, but they did. Texas didn’t have to schedule Alabama, but they did. This is the consequence of their mutual choice.

Nothing you said is wrong.  That’s why the decision is so tough.

The challenge is that if they put in FSU, they haven’t put the best 4 teams into the playoff.   That’s a hard choice because FSU has earned their spot.

It’s similar to what we used to get into with undefeated G5 teams and how they would get left out despite going undefeated and having done everything they could’ve on the field.  In this case, there’s no way that today’s version of FSU without Jordan Travis would even be in contention for the playoff.  It’s essentially a walkover game right into the final for the top seed.  They risk tainting the entire playoff and giving the #1 team a very big advantage by having to play a team without star QB (and most likely Heisman winner too).  

Don’t they have to take some of that into consideration?

If an undefeated Florida State gets shut out here, we could easily see a scenario where Alabama beats Michigan and Texas beats Washington and then the only undefeated team left in the country, from a Power 5 conference,  is sitting there, not part of the playoff.     Absolutely sucks,  man.  It would be offensive to leave them out. 

People talk about FSU's QB situation.   The fact they they are down to their 3rd string QB makes it even MORE impressive that they went unbeaten.   

But it's all about ratings and not fairness and the SEC will throw a tantrum if they don't get in and I don't see how you'd put Bama in over Texas when Texas beat them in Tuscaloosa.   Therefore, they'll shut FSU out.     Alabama should be the one watching, not FSU.   

And if that loudmouth Stephen A Smith (who along with Skip Bayless ruined ESPN) thinks Michigan should go from #2 and be undefeated and out of the playoff...........they shut out a team in a conference championship.  That's rare, man.   The offense didn't look good, but I think the strategy was to play a boring and vanilla offense, knowing that Iowa wasn't going to score much.   Had Iowa closed the gap, you would have seen more flash from the offense.   Michigan simply didn't want to show any playoff opponent anything new - and they didn't have to.   Sound strategy. 

Also - consider this.  Iowa has an outstanding defense.   I don't think any of the other teams in the playoff picture has a defense as good as Iowa.   Look at their season - they only allowed 20 points twice all year and once was last night.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If an undefeated Florida State gets shut out here, we could easily see a scenario where Alabama beats Michigan and Texas beats Washington and then the only undefeated team left in the country, from a Power 5 conference,  is sitting there, not part of the playoff.     Absolutely sucks,  man.  It would be offensive to leave them out. 

People talk about FSU's QB situation.   The fact they they are down to their 3rd string QB makes it even MORE impressive that they went unbeaten.   

But it's all about ratings and not fairness and the SEC will throw a tantrum if they don't get in and I don't see how you'd put Bama in over Texas when Texas beat them in Tuscaloosa.   Therefore, they'll shut FSU out.     Alabama should be the one watching, not FSU.   

And if that loudmouth Stephen A Smith (who along with Skip Bayless ruined ESPN) thinks Michigan should go from #2 and be undefeated and out of the playoff...........they shut out a team in a conference championship.  That's rare, man.   The offense didn't look good, but I think the strategy was to play a boring and vanilla offense, knowing that Iowa wasn't going to score much.   Had Iowa closed the gap, you would have seen more flash from the offense.   Michigan simply didn't want to show any playoff opponent anything new - and they didn't have to.   Sound strategy. 

Also - consider this.  Iowa has an outstanding defense.   I don't think any of the other teams in the playoff picture has a defense as good as Iowa.   Look at their season - they only allowed 20 points twice all year and once was last night.   

It’s going to be offensive to someone either way.  Leaving out an undefeated ACC champ, leaving out the SEC champ, leaving out the 2 time defending champ that is 29-1 in their last 30, leaving out the B12 champ with a victory over the SEC champ.   Everyone is deserving that’s what makes it so hard. 

As for Iowa, It’s no wonder the defense looks good.  After the big 3, this is as bad as the rest of the conference has been in years.    It’s insane at how bare the talent is this year on the offensive side in the B1G.  There are no offensive players of significance and no draftable QBs outside of UM, OSU, PSU.   That never happens.