NBA Info - January 2024

On 1/20/2024 at 3:26 PM, Deleterious said:

Wonder how many flops and free throws it took Wilt to get those numbers?

Also, 35 ppg is just the new 27 ppg. Historical comparisons of counting stats mean nothing to me anymore. Scoring is at an all-time high and defense is at an all-time low. I expect counting stats to just keep getting blown away until the NBA realizes they shifted too far and starts allowing some defense again.

6 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Wonder how many flops and free throws it took Wilt to get those numbers?

Also, 35 ppg is just the new 27 ppg. Historical comparisons of counting stats mean nothing to me anymore. Scoring is at an all-time high and defense is at an all-time low. I expect counting stats to just keep getting blown away until the NBA realizes they shifted too far and starts allowing some defense again.

It has gone on long cycles. Scoring increased all through the early days of the league - peaking in the early 1960's at 118 ppg, which is a bit higher than even now (and with no 3pt shot!). Then it started going down - falling to 91.6 in 1999. Then it started back upward to where it is today.

I don't think I want to go back to hammer and tongs D like the bad boys - so I don't know where the ideal point is. If it were me I'd widen the court a couple of feet so the 3pt line could be moved out. I think that would open up the mid-range game and add more variety to offenses, but changing the court is probably the one thing that has zero chance of happening.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It has gone on long cycles. Scoring increased all through the early days of the league - peaking in the early 1960's at 118 ppg, which is a bit higher than even now (and with no 3pt shot!). Then it started going down - falling to 91.6 in 1999. Then it started back upward to where it is today.

I don't think I want to go back to hammer and tongs D like the bad boys - so I don't know where the ideal point is. If it were me I'd widen the court a couple of feet so the 3pt line could be moved out. I think that would open up the mid-range game and add more variety to offenses, but changing the court is probably the one thing that has zero chance of happening.

I'd love to see some real changes, like eliminating the corner three, but I doubt we'll see anything like that.

Simple changes would be great too, though. Just give the defender as much respect as the offensive player and allow him the right to his space on the court.

Eliminate fouls where the offensive player initiated the contact by driving directly into a defender. Also, get rid of the moving, leaning, and grabbing on screens (see Lopez and Giannis on every screen yesterday). Those two things alone would make a world of difference for the ability to defend.

The pendulum has simply swung too far in favor of the offense. Sure, we want to see fun basketball, but we also don't want to see free throws all day. Let's not forget that better defense can also lead to more fast breaks, which can be even more fun.

• Like 1