Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Three years is a long time for a 32yo offensive lineman, but he earned it last year - and $6.3MM yearly won't break the bank. Hopefully we can get at least two years of starting out of him on that deal. I'm okay with it.

I think this may be a clue that they're not keeping Jonah, though it's not dispositive.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Three years is a long time for a 32yo offensive lineman, but he earned it last year - and $6.3MM yearly won't break the bank. Hopefully we can get at least two years of starting out of him on that deal. I'm okay with it.

I think this may be a clue that they're not keeping Jonah, though it's not dispositive.

Reports are it’s $9.5 million guaranteed. My guess would be it’s more likely a two year deal. 

This is one of my favorite days in the offseason. Everybody pays attention to the Draft but it's the real die-hards that are glued to screens for the start of legal tampering.

Holmes was busy last year on this day. Extended Buggs in the morning (which we generally liked), then made the big deal to get Sutton (which we loved), and then extended Anzalone (which we hated).

In fairness to my reactions that are coming today and this week - I was badly wrong about Anzalone. Anzalone was the leader of this defense last year and $6.1MM yearly seems like a bargain a year later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'd rather avoid trading high draft picks for veterans. Just stick to the plan, build through the draft and supplement through free agency. 

Obviously it all depends on the picks and the veteran, but generally yeah... I agree. Now, if it's a young enough player, then I'd be more inclined to give up some picks for him, but I don't want to give up high draft capital for a guy who's on the downside of his career.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

That's impressive but I wonder how many snaps he played against them cause from what I watched of the Chiefs it seemed like McDuffie was the one shadowing the top guys for the most part. 

i'd take mcduffie over sneed all day long.  so would the chiefs which is why theyre looking to trade sneed.

is patrick surtain available?  id pay more for him than sneed.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's impressive but I wonder how many snaps he played against them cause from what I watched of the Chiefs it seemed like McDuffie was the one shadowing the top guys for the most part. 

I also think the Chiefs game was when Jefferson left with an injury. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

Sneed is probably a bit overrated but these numbers at least say that he’s not the old washed loser that Buddha is making him out to be.  

i dont think he's an old washed loser, i think he is too expensive and i dont want the lions to give up a lot of draft capital to pay him.

maybe he becomes patrick peterson or jalen ramsey?  i dont know.  i dont want to take that chance.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think he's an old washed loser, i think he is too expensive and i dont want the lions to give up a lot of draft capital to pay him.

maybe he becomes patrick peterson or jalen ramsey?  i dont know.  i dont want to take that chance.

Having to pay for past performances that you didn’t bear any fruit is the downside of every big free agent signing.  

The Lions are entering a win now stage where a risk on a big free agent at the expense of draft capital may not be a bad idea.   They don’t have nearly as many holes as they did a few years ago.  Brad has also shown an uncanny ability to find diamonds outside the first two rounds.   Don’t get me wrong, draft picks are important but they are in a spot where they could roll the dice at giving up a few picks.    

Edited by Hongbit

If we're making an all in type move Id much prefer it be Wilkins over Snead, not just cause of the draft pick compensation but also I just think he'd make a bigger impact on the team.

Id like to then sign somebody like Gilmore as a stop gap DB who would also likely be an upgrade over what we had along with drafting one or 2 with one of our first four picks.