Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't really like the idea of CJGJ re-signing. Not at all... to be honest.

I really LOVE the idea of the Lions signing Simmons, Gilmore, Zeitler, and Danna (oh, and Josh Reynolds too).

I think the locker room leadership those guys could provide would be immense. Along with what we've already got. Oh... and they would all be the key backups (or starter at LG for Zeitler) at their position too...

Actually, Duce is perfect for this team. Simmons, Gilmore, Zietler are all fading. 

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I love everything about this signing.  Will help right now but love the potential.  Still has a lot of room to grow and get maybe get really good.  

I think it's underrated signing. He can play slot and outside and is good against the run. Has shown steady improvement with the Raiders. He's like a good version of Will Harris. 

Not sure where those numbers are coming from since everything I see says Davis passer rating against was 96.1 which was the first time he went above 90 since his rookie season. Davis is also better in man coverage. Tampa rarely runs man and the Lions run it a lot. 

• Like 1

Also doesn't take into account penalties, Jacobs was 2nd in the league in PI calls with 6(Snead was actually the only one that had more) and among the leaders in total penalties with 9. Where as Carlton Davis wasn't called for a single PI and only had 3 accepted penalties in total against him.(Holding, illegal use of hands and unnecessary roughness)

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Flaps his jaw too much. Let plays do your talking...

It was hard to decide whether his flapping was worth it because he wasn't healthy. If he had played every game last season we may have a different opinion. I give him credit for rehabbing so aggressively to get back for the playoffs.

When CJGJ was signed a year ago, he was signed to be a starter. He lost that role while injured. It's possible the Lions looked at it and said "there is a distinct possibility that even if we bring back CJGJ; Iffy and Branch could earn the starting nickel and safety jobs on this team. If that happens, we may ultimately need to release CJGJ, because his ego can't handle being a rotational player"

If that was the case, the salary offer needed to be commensurate for that possibility. That said, I think the dude can ball (led the league in picks in 2022) and I think it's helpful to have someone on your team who can get under the opponent's skin like he can. I would bring him back on another one-year prove-it deal.

29 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Duce don't play in a rotation.

Duce not shy about letting everyone know that.

Duce ain't perfect for this team.

You are way too sensitive about what someone says. He's always been like that and the Lions have no issues with it. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You keep signing players to contracts and then ask them a year or two later to take a pay cut and no one is going to want to sign with you. 

No one is coerced, it's a purely logical thing, a reflection on non guaranteed contracts and changing conditions.

3 minutes ago, Longgone said:

No one is coerced, it's a purely logical thing, a reflection on non guaranteed contracts and changing conditions.

Sure no one is coerced but would you want to work for an employer that hires people and then a year later says either take a pay cut or your fired? 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Sure no one is coerced but would you want to work for an employer that hires people and then a year later says either take a pay cut or your fired? 

No, but in the NFL it's understood, you generally get an up front bonus and some guarantee, but you know the non guaranteed portion is open ended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

No, but in the NFL it's understood, you generally get an up front bonus and some guarantee, but you know the non guaranteed portion is open ended.

This is not understood. This doesn't happen often in the NFL and the Lions are doing it way more than anyone else. On top of that, the Lions aren't even hurting for cap space and they are asking players to take pay cuts. Combined with not spending a lot on free agents and the Lions are going to get a reputation for being a cheap team. 

54 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You are way too sensitive about what someone says. He's always been like that and the Lions have no issues with it. 

Don't misunderstand me.

I was being glib.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... When CJGJ was signed a year ago, he was signed to be a starter... "..we may ultimately need to release CJGJ, because his ego can't handle being a rotational player"

If that was the case, the salary offer needed to be commensurate for that possibility. That said, I think the dude can ball (led the league in picks in 2022) and I think it's helpful to have someone on your team who can get under the opponent's skin like he can. I would bring him back on another one-year prove-it deal.

These are the issues that lead my thinking on CJGJ, of which MC mentioned a couple:

1) Dude has an ego. He's going to want the chance to be a straight up starter.

2) That said... even though he came back last year after surgery, he may not be able to find a situation in which he is the automatic starter. And may be forced to take MC's 1-year prove it deal. Not a bad bet for the Lions to take if he's willing.

3) That said... I'm going to guess that the Lions are pretty high on Kerby and Iffy as the safeties, and Branch as the nickel. CJGJ can probably squeeze in there somewhere... probably quite a LOT with Kerby losing the most time there, on a guess.

4) So... can CJGJ REALLY still ball after that surgery? I don't remember him being exceptional at the end of last year.. and actually getting burned a couple times. Does another 8 months chilling out and "soft recovering" from that surgery get him back to 100%? Does that make offering him a 1-year contract worth it?

5) The 3 young Lions are... greeeeeeeeeen. Not a huge amount of starting experience. It's why I ask the question that, even though Simmons is on the downside, he isn't the better locker room guy for those 3. I don't think he has more to offer on the field than CJGJ... but I think he has more to offer the other 3 guys in the locker room, coaching them up, and being part of a rotation with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, not taking the glib angle here, but... The biggest question I would have is: Does CJGJ REALLY want to be here for another year, given all of the circumstances?

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is not understood. This doesn't happen often in the NFL and the Lions are doing it way more than anyone else. On top of that, the Lions aren't even hurting for cap space and they are asking players to take pay cuts. Combined with not spending a lot on free agents and the Lions are going to get a reputation for being a cheap team. 

This does happen all the time in the NFL.  The Packers just did it with Aaron Jones who decided to take being cut and sign with the Vikings 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Other teams just cut players, like Green Bay did with Aaron Jones. It happens all the time. Players want to stay and play in Detroit. And the Lions may not spend their cap how you want them to, but they will spend it.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Don't misunderstand me.

I was being glib.

These are the issues that lead my thinking on CJGJ, of which MC mentioned a couple:

1) Dude has an ego. He's going to want the chance to be a straight up starter.

2) That said... even though he came back last year after surgery, he may not be able to find a situation in which he is the automatic starter. And may be forced to take MC's 1-year prove it deal. Not a bad bet for the Lions to take if he's willing.

3) That said... I'm going to guess that the Lions are pretty high on Kerby and Iffy as the safeties, and Branch as the nickel. CJGJ can probably squeeze in there somewhere... probably quite a LOT with Kerby losing the most time there, on a guess.

4) But the 3 young Lions are... greeeeeeeeeen. Not a huge amount of starting experience. It's why I ask the question that, even though Simmons is on the downside, he isn't the better locker room guy for those 3. I don't think he has more to offer on the field than CJGJ... but I think he has more to offer the other 3 guys in the locker room, coaching them up, and being part of a rotation with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, not taking the glib angle here, but... The biggest question I would have is: Does CJGJ REALLY want to be here for another year, given all of the circumstances?

Who knows? And who knows if Detroit wants to meet his price. All I said was he's a good fit, can cover both safety positions and nickel.

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is not understood. This doesn't happen often in the NFL and the ...

No? In the NFL, if a team needs your cap space they just release a player with ZERO obligation to anything not guaranteed. This happens ALL THE TIME in the NFL.

What do you mean this hardly happens?

A player can be OUT of a job (with no guarantees).

Or take a pay cut and stick with his team. 

This happens all over the NFL on an annual basis. I think you are not correct at all.

39 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

This does happen all the time in the NFL.  The Packers just did it with Aaron Jones who decided to take being cut and sign with the Vikings 

Aaron Jones and Von Miller. I don't know how many times in the past two years those teams have asked players to take pay cuts. In the Bills case, Von Miller made a lot more than Cominsky and the Bills had serious cap issues. The Lions have asked about 4 players in two years to take pay cuts. Keep in mind, this is an organization that has had very public feuds with two of its best players over recouping signing bonuses. It's not a good look. 

Edited by Motown Bombers