11/10/2021 07:30 EDT Detroit Pistons @ Houston Rockets

casimir

I know ESPN booked this because of Cade and Jalen Green but I wonder if this is the worst nationally televised game ever in terms of combined records? There's probably been a bunch of times where teams were both 0-1 or something like that but outside of that it's hard to fathom the combined winning percentages ever being this low.  

isnt that sequence why cade isnt youre typical #1 pick?

green has his flaws but can get to the rim and make an occasional 3.  cade gets wacked at the rim and cant finish.

cade is best with the ball in his hands and threatening to shoot 3s.  but if that's the case, how does he play with killian who cant shoot, and if he doesnt have the ball in his hands he is useless in this offense?

I don't get how scouts and management can whiff on somebody like Hayes? I liked him pre draft but that's because the scouts had good things to say about him but it just makes me wonder what they saw or projected.

Like I get whiffing on freaks like Darko or athletic "unicorn" type players. You're hoping they can develop some tools to go with that athleticism or measurables but guys like Killian didnt have that. If he put up monster numbers in Europe perhaps I could understand but he didn't even do that so like what about him did they see that made many pundits fall in love with him?

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't get how scouts and management can whiff on somebody like Hayes? I liked him pre draft but that's because the scouts had good things to say about him but it just makes me wonder what they saw or projected.

Like I get whiffing on freaks like Darko or athletic "unicorn" type players. You're hoping they can develop some tools to go with that athleticism or measurables but guys like Killian didnt have that. If he put up monster numbers in Europe perhaps I could understand but he didn't even do that so like what about him did they see that made many pundits fall in love with him?

because he can pass.  he has good instincts.  he can defend.  he's young and you can teach shooting.

but he is far from an nba player right now.  he's not even close.

part of it is cade and how theyre using killian.  cade fell into your lap.  his best position is point forward/shooter with the ball in his hands.  what does that do to killian?  it means he's a second unit pg or he's a defense only shooting guard.

theyre treating him as the latter only.  which means he stands in the corner and does nothing, and his shot is so bad he's useless in that role. its a horrible strategy.  if you want him to develop, he should be in the g league or coming off the bench as a backup pg.

i mean, do you have to get cojo 20 minutes a night?  is it in his contract or something?  the team sucks.  there's little point in playing cojo so much.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

green has his flaws but can get to the rim and make an occasional 3.  cade gets wacked at the rim and cant finish.

cade is best with the ball in his hands and threatening to shoot 3s.  but if that's the case, how does he play with killian who cant shoot, and if he doesnt have the ball in his hands he is useless in this offense?

and 7-5 Evan Mobley says "Hi.' :classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, buddha said:

Green got punked after he blew by Cade and dunked, meanwhile Cade was out there facilitating, scoring at the rim, hitting a big three, taking a charge, rebounding and locking down Green forcing two late airballs after Green trash talked him. THAT'S why Cade went #1. He helps winning in different ways while Green scores some highlight reel buckets in a losing effort.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 2

Jerami Grants thiiird quarter was pretty impressive...dude could not miss.  Not having been following the past 3-4 years I was not sure who he was, but he had a heck of a game last night and when Green dunked over Cade and was talking smack....I knew right there the Pistons made the right call...he fell back on defense and we ended up getting 4-5 points immediately after that dunk.  

That fire 100% has a place in basketball IMO, not in the 3rd quarter of the 11th game of the year when you have only won 1 game so far.

20 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Green got punked after he blew by Cade and dunked, meanwhile Cade was out there facilitating, scoring at the rim, hitting a big three, taking a charge, rebounding and locking down Green forcing two late airballs after Green trash talked him. THAT'S why Cade went #1. He helps winning in different ways while Green scores some highlight reel buckets in a losing effort.

i'm not a huge green fan, and i think cade's shooting in the long run is what will make him super valuable.  he seems like a more consistent player than green will be, with green having nights he will go off.

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm not a huge green fan, and i think cade's shooting in the long run is what will make him super valuable.  he seems like a more consistent player than green will be, with green having nights he will go off.

Actually, I think it's Cade's overall game that will make him valuable in the long run. Cade can shoot, Green can also shoot but what sets Cade apart is his ability to impact the game in many different ways with last night being a prime example, although there were some mistakes mixed in which is to be expected at this early stage.

The one thing Cade needs to work on is being more aggressive with the ball because he can get whatever shot he wants to when he puts his mind to it. The blow by reverse layup and spin move score in the paint being two examples late in the game last night.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Fyi The game did just under 1 million viewers for ESPN, for comparison last week's game on Wednesday did 1.3 million on ESPN which featured the Hawks vs. Nets. I suppose all things considered it could've been worse.

Even considering it was the #1 pick -v- the #2 pick...both teams had still, up to that point, only won 2 games total.  I think a million is pretty darn good considering that.