2/26/24 7:30PM EDT Detroit Pistons @ New York Knicks

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Possession is definitely lost.  It could even be said a foul on the Pistons should’ve been the call.  

Ausar got bodychecked, possession or not. It's a loose ball foul, obvious as a call gets. Even the Knicks announcers were saying that it was a missed call.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Ausar got bodychecked, possession or not. It's a loose ball foul, obvious as a call gets. Even the Knicks announcers were saying that it was a missed call.

I don’t blame them.  I thought the same thing when I first saw it from the other angle.   It looks like Ausar’s got the ball and gets destroyed but in reality he lost it and destroys himself running into the Knick who beat him to the loose ball.  

Edited by Hongbit

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I like consistency and they had been letting them play all night. I'm good with a no call there 

I think this is fair.  I think the normal TV camera angle makes it difficult to see Thompson losing possession of the ball, and so the collision looks more foul than loose ball.  The floor angle made it look more 50/50.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I like consistency and they had been letting them play all night. I'm good with a no call there 

What consistency? So DiVincenzo can barrel into Ausar but then Duren gets called for jumping straight up as Hart barrels into him? How is that consistent? The Pistons are a deservedly bad team but they've getting the **** end of calls a lot this season.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

He had 30 points with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. He scored two the rest of the way, thats  a problem.

He’s not aggressive enough scoring.  He has too much of a point guards mentality.  I agree it’s a problem.  He needs to be taking something close to 25 shots per game.  If his shot is legitimately improved, which I think it is, he should be averaging 30 per game.  

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

He had 30 points with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. He scored two the rest of the way, thats  a problem.

48 minutes ago, Hart said:

He’s not aggressive enough scoring.  He has too much of a point guards mentality.  I agree it’s a problem.  He needs to be taking something close to 25 shots per game.  If his shot is legitimately improved, which I think it is, he should be averaging 30 per game.  

Cunningham clearly lost his shot in the 2nd half.  Grimes had picked up the scoring load in the 4th.

I get the general negativity around this team, but are we seriously sitting here trying to say that diving into a guy's legs is ok in the NBA? C'mon, even the NBA has apologized and the referee said it was a missed call. This should have been a Piston's win over a good team. They were robbed and the story is all over ESPN as well with quotes from Windhorst saying, "the NBA and the referees screwed up."

But getting past that, we've definitely seen more competitive games from this team recently and that's been fun to watch.  The starting 5 has been +2 on the court. They've also got some decent role players now in Fontecchio and Grimes, so it's going to be interesting to see what this core looks like over the remainder of the season and if they can start to gel despite what Monty has done (and continues to do) to set them back all season.

Apparently there is some nuance regarding the NBA possession rules.  The crew chief said that Thompson still had possession of the ball even though my eye tells me otherwise.  I still think no call is the right call but if they are saying by rule that Thompson still has possession, then it’s an obvious foul they missed.