3/3/24 1:05PM EDT Tigers @ Yankees

34 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Way too early to fret about Baez. Nothing happening in 2024 until late summer at all unless he is failing defensively. El Mago needs the juice and spring training has none. He will be better in 2024. 

The organization was fretting about Baez last year already. I know they’re going to baby him as long as they can to give a chance to find something at the plate. But in fairness to the team and the fans, you can’t run his bat out there everyday and not expect problems.

The Tigers supposedly gave him specific areas to work on this off-season. I wonder what the org thought of the progress or results? Good or bad?

31 is on the young side for a hitter to be finished, but it does happen. That is the worst case scenario  - that the pitch recognition apparatus has just aged out and he's done as an MLB hitter. Otherwise he has to get on the Schenck system - be fully loaded up before the pitcher releases the ball. It's the answer for being late and Javy is late.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

31 is on the young side for a hitter to be finished, but it does happen. That is the worst case scenario  - that the pitch recognition apparatus has just aged out and he's done as an MLB hitter. Otherwise he has to get on the Schenck system - be fully loaded up before the pitcher releases the ball. It's the answer for being late and Javy is late.

I don't think 31 is too young to be finished for a hitter who has no hitting skill and seems to rely totally on natural ability and reflexes.  That's not say that he's done.  Statistically, the only difference between last year and some of his good years is lack of home runs.  If he gets his power back and maintains strong defense, he could still be useful.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think 31 is too young to be finished for a hitter who has no hitting skill and seems to rely totally on natural ability and reflexes.  That's not say that he's done.  Statistically, the only difference between last year and some of his good years is lack of home runs.  If he gets his power back and maintains strong defense, he could still be useful.      

It was depressing to here Monroe talk about him today. Not that what Greg says ever carries all that much weight, but we know he is sunshine and roses about almost any kind of positive point he can find about a Tiger player and he was downright depressive watching Javy's ABs today.

Of course FWIW,  in another example of Monroe's crystal ball, Vierling came up with the bases loaded and Greg immediately started in about how he had work on getting his average up against RHP by going the other way - Matt promptly pulled the ball to left against the RHP for 2 RBI.

Edited by gehringer_2

I know it's only spring training but when a guy gets picked off at second by such a ridiculous margin, does the third base coach not get his butt kicked up to his shoulders?

Here is how you coach third base, with a runner at second:  you yell at him YOU WATCH THE PITCHER!  I'VE GOT THE SHORTSTOP AND THE SECONDBASEMAN!

1 minute ago, Jim Cowan said:

I know it's only spring training but when a guy gets picked off at second by such a ridiculous margin, does the first base coach not get his butt kicked up to his shoulders?

Here is how you coach first base, with a runner at second:  you yell at him YOU WATCH THE PITCHER!  I'VE GOT THE SHORTSTOP AND THE SECONDBASEMAN!