3/3/24 1:05PM EDT Tigers @ Yankees

I traversed to Steinbrenner Field in 2007 for an ST game between the Tigers and Yankees. Sat a few rows up behind the Tigers dugout (thank you stubhub). It was pretty awesome to see the two names, Kaline and Leyland, on road gray jerseys leaning on the dugout rail side by side just below my seat. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

His pitches looked good but that slider hung right over the middle.

Per gameday it was low enough but in the middle. Dangerous place to be against a hitter who can adjust to make that golf style swing. I think for most hitters if you throw them high you can get away with leaving it in the middle, but if you pitch down you better keep it out of the middle.

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Per gameday it was low enough but in the middle. Dangerous place to be against a hitter who can adjust to make that golf style swing. I think for most hitters if you throw them high you can get away with leaving it in the middle, but if you pitch down you better keep it out of the middle.

I'm thinking a guy who lives low in the zone (A) really needs to be able to get balls in on guys hands... middle-inside would seem to be OK I'm thinking, to go along with the bottom of the zone. (B) Change of speeds absolutely necessary. Without changing much in eye-level, a pitcher BETTER be able to offer changes in speed/ to throw off a hitters' timing... and (C) STILL would need to keep it out of the middle of the plate.

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

At some point he's just not going to be worth it and the team would be better off going to Kreidler or even Eddys....

Without question. I just hope they don’t drag their feet on this waiting for the impossible. This is one ugly contract.

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

At some point he's just not going to be worth it and the team would be better off going to Kreidler or even Eddys....

19 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Without question. I just hope they don’t drag their feet on this waiting for the impossible. This is one ugly contract.

You have to wonder if Hinch and Harris have already started thinking about what the lines are for pulling the plug. Of course such a decision never happens in a vacuum; someone else - Kreisler, Leonard, McKinstry - whoever, has to show they are likely put up better numbers than whatever Javy is doing.  

Edited by gehringer_2

If the MTS Board is discussing shortstop options on March 3rd, Harris and Hinch should be way out in front of this.

I’d like to see El Mago find his Mago but I am zero on confidence at this point.

The ‘we’re not going to block anyone’ mantra should apply here as well.