3/17 3pm Heat @ Pistons

Everything Miami has done on defense today is designed to make Cade expend energy.  Every time he has the ball he is doubled, sometimes with a third defender in drop coverage spying on him.  

My favorite thing is Miami full court pressing when Cade brings it up.  Williams apparently hasn't noticed this because Cade keeps bringing it up rather than letting someone else do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

My favorite thing is Miami full court pressing when Cade brings it up.  Williams apparently hasn't noticed this because Cade keeps bringing it up rather than letting someone else do it.

Aside from the issue with Williams, other than an occasional surprise look, you just should not be able to press any NBA team without getting toasted. Just another indication of how far away they are.

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I bet we still would have said Cade left too much time on the clock.

Williams is right, if he makes that shot, no one would say a word.

The other variable is what if that was the best look they would have gotten to end the game?  I can't recall if he had his dribble still or if he picked it up, but I guess he could have gotten to around the free throw line and pulled up for a two.  There still would have been time left on the clock, make or miss, say maybe around 5 or 6 seconds?  Make or miss the two, Miami still has a chance to win.  At least with attempting the three, Miami would have needed the three.

Ideally they get a shot with less than 8 seconds, but I don't know that its as easy as that if the franchise player has a good look with 8 seconds left.

Everyone will focus on that final play, and yea, Cade should've known the clock. But the real reasons they lost this game happened way earlier.

Your starting Center can't be 4-10 with 2 turnovers and poor defense. He's been averaging 3 turnovers a game lately and doing some serious Drummond stuff with the ball. 

Your starting Shooting Guard can't continue to play like the rebirth of Killian Hayes. He's been horrendous in every facet of the game, from shooting to defense, over the past 14 games. Cade's getting blitzed on every screen and they have nobody else that can takeover a game because Ivey has gone into a massive slump.

Not one of the starters could shoot the ball from outside and Miami plays a ton of zone which is designed to keep you out of the paint. There's zero movement off-ball in Monty's offense, so if you aren't hitting those low quality threes against the zone, then you're in trouble in this offense. It's been a problem all year and I don't expect Monty to figure out how to play against a zone anytime soon.

Edit to add: More and more I think you've got to make a decision and move either Ivey or Duren this offseason while you can get good value for them. You can't afford to extend all of these players starting with Cade this offseason and then those two next offseason and Ausar the year after that. Not when your team is this bad. Doubling down on a 12 win team is a bad idea.

Edited by Betrayer
  • Like 2

Cade has progressed nicely offensively this season so don't want to criticize him too hard but that was real braindead of him to not only not take the last shot but to hoist up a 3. It's that type of heroball that I wouldn't expect from him. Of course if Monty even cared one bit about coaching, he would have called a timeout to draw up a play and burn it into their brains that they need to be the ones taking the last shot not Miami. Just more Monty stuff in a long line of errors but I digress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Your starting Center can't be 4-10 with 2 turnovers and poor defense. He's been averaging 3 turnovers a game lately and doing some serious Drummond stuff with the ball. 

Yep, been saying this for a while. Serious Drummond vibes. Duren is stronger than Andre and has much better touch at the free throw line (which is important for a big man) but the low IQ stuff and lazy tendencies, not to mention lack of rim protection give me the Drummond vibes.

If it was up to me, Cade and Ausar are the guys I build around. I wouldn't trade them for an underwhelming return but Ivey and Duren would absolutely be up for auction to bring in more advanced players that fit better.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Yep, been saying this for a while. Serious Drummond vibes. Duren is stronger than Andre and has much better touch at the free throw line (which is important for a big man) but the low IQ stuff and lazy tendencies, not to mention lack of rim protection give me the Drummond vibes.

If it was up to me, Cade and Ausar are the guys I build around. I wouldn't trade them for an underwhelming return but Ivey and Duren would absolutely be up for auction to bring in more advanced players that fit better.

Has he been allowed to play because of his natural abilities thus far and simply hasn't been coached much?  I don't know, I suppose its possible with a lot of younger players.  But, yes, there are some fouls he commits where I just wonder what was going through his head at the time.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Has he been allowed to play because of his natural abilities thus far and simply hasn't been coached much?  I don't know, I suppose its possible with a lot of younger players.  But, yes, there are some fouls he commits where I just wonder what was going through his head at the time.

he's still very young.  otoh, so are most rookies and they get better.

its one of the pitfalls of taking 19 year old kids instead of college juniors or seniors.

but its not like the pistons are the only organization with these issues.

"andre drummond disease" is ignoring your talents and trying to be something youre not.  not focusing on improving your game and ignoring the fundamentals because you think youre better than you are.  and being lazy.

i dont watch enough pistons to know, but when i see duren turning the ball over a lot, and taking stupid running shots and ignoring open guys, i see the early warning signs of Andre Drummond Disease.  same with being lazy on defense.  he's obviously not as lazy as andre when it comes to nutrition and the weight room, so there is that.

somebody needs to get ben wallace to sit down with these guys.  they would give ben one shot early in the game to get him involved and then he would go back to rebounds and defense.  duren could be the same way if he wanted to emulate that player instead of trying to be lebron james.