March Madness 2024

Kind of hoping Long Beach State gets to next weekend because that'd be fun to see them win a few more games under a fired head coach.

Lebron James' high school coach Keith Dambrot is at Duquense.  They won their tourney which was their only path to this tourney.  He is retiring after this season.  His wife is battling cancer.  This is their first NCAA tourney since 1977.  I'd like to see them get far.

I think those are the two storylines I like the most.  Or, I guess, those are the two that I like the most that I can think of right now.

Just now, casimir said:

Kind of hoping Long Beach State gets to next weekend because that'd be fun to see them win a few more games under a fired head coach.

Lebron James' high school coach Keith Dambrot is at Duquense.  They won their tourney which was their only path to this tourney.  He is retiring after this season.  His wife is battling cancer.  This is their first NCAA tourney since 1977.  I'd like to see them get far.

I think those are the two storylines I like the most.  Or, I guess, those are the two that I like the most that I can think of right now.

I saw him talking about Duquesne a few days ago and didn't understand why.  Now It makes sense.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

I saw him talking about Duquesne a few days ago and didn't understand why.  Now It makes sense.

I think they mentioned that the assistant who will be taking over at Duquesne also coached James at SVSM.

Dambrot went on to U of Akron after SVSM.  I don't recall the story of why he went to Duquense.

7 hours ago, casimir said:

I think they mentioned that the assistant who will be taking over at Duquesne also coached James at SVSM.

Dambrot went on to U of Akron after SVSM.  I don't recall the story of why he went to Duquense.

keith dambrot was the coach at central michigan when i was there.  he was fired for using a racial slur in the locker room.

12 hours ago, buddha said:

keith dambrot was the coach at central michigan when i was there.  he was fired for using a racial slur in the locker room.

Via wikipedia, which, yeah, I know.....

At 32 years of age, Dambrot replaced Charlie Coles as coach of Central Michigan University for the 1991–92 season.[4] He coached the team for two seasons, and was fired for making a controversial comment before a game against Miami University. He had asked the players if he could use a controversial word (the "N-word") in addressing the team before he actually did, and they agreed, but he still was fired.[8] He sued the university in a wrongful discrimination lawsuit, and all 11 black players on the team joined him in the suit, claiming the university's policy against discriminatory language was too vague. He eventually lost the suit, though the students prevailed in overturning the school's language policy.[9]

Charlie Coles turned in a pretty darn good run at Miami (OH) after coaching a few seasons in between CMU and Miami at a Toledo high school.  I remember thinking the high school had a pretty good hire pulling in a former MAC coach.  They aren't known for their basketball program, and I don't recall them having any big names around that time.

My god, what an awesome upset of Auburn by Yale. The biggest play of the game was the foul on the layup with 7 seconds left. It turned from a guaranteed two points to tie the game to two bricks at the line to maintain Yale’s two-point margin for the victory. Terrific drama.

17 hours ago, casimir said:

Grand Canyon and St. Mary’s is going to be fun.

I don’t remember the last time I stayed up that late to watch a live sporting event.  And I cannot claim to have not dozed off a time or two.  But it was a damn fun game.

• 3 weeks later...

Calipari walks away from Kentucky. It's amusing when the old kings of sleaze like Saban and Calipari find themselves at more disadvantage then they are willing to live with because the legal sleaze can now outpace what they used to do off the books.