4/11/24 1:10PM Twins @ Tigers

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, about 5:30. My driveway is dry, I'm sure a well maintained baseball field has excellent drainage. This game was called too early. They didn't even try to play...

unless your at the park you dont know what the weater is like... Living in Northern Michigan i dont know how many times theres been a foot a snow five miles away and like an inch or two at my house

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Keith has been quite the surprise at 2b, just because everyone seemed so skeptical. He seems perfectly comfortable, decisions are good, not forcing anything. I think 3b could still be a weakness if McKinstry ends up there against LHP a lot. He's not horrible at 3B but he's not really all that good either.

29 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

unless your at the park you dont know what the weater is like... Living in Northern Michigan i dont know how many times theres been a foot a snow five miles away and like an inch or two at my house

It's clear all the way from my house to Comerica. Has been for hours...

Screenshot_20240411_165253_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9b4378c9fb6ae71a80f9d298fca1f35c.jpg

32 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's clear all the way from my house to Comerica. Has been for hours...

Screenshot_20240411_165253_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9b4378c9fb6ae71a80f9d298fca1f35c.jpg

what sense does it make to have rain out for no reason? its going to be traditional Double header so you lose on the tonights gate and food and what not

1 minute ago, Toddwert said:

what sense does it make to have rain out for no reason? its going to be traditional Double header so you lose on the tonights gate and food and what not

The what not always gets overlooked in these circumstances.  I’m glad you were thoughtful of it.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

Yes, my only point was they could have played. The heaviest drizzle was only for a short time, other times it was dry. Overcast and chilly but I just think they called it way too soon because of the weather forecast. They called for heavy rainfall that never came.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, my only point was they could have played. The heaviest drizzle was only for a short time, other times it was dry. Overcast and chilly but I just think they called it way too soon because of the weather forecast. They called for heavy rainfall that never came.

Moving a game from a wet chilly day to a warm sunny one isn't the worst outcome even if it has to be as part of a double header. Later in the year when a reschedule is just a likely to end up in worse weather maybe push harder to play it, but with the Saturday forecast in hand it probably wasn't a hard call for Harris et al.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, about 5:30. My driveway is dry, I'm sure a well maintained baseball field has excellent drainage. This game was called too early. They didn't even try to play...

It rained non stop from about 4:30 until, well, the last time I checked was about 8:30 and it was still going.   But as long as YOUR driveway is dry they should play. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Toddwert said:

the turnout they had today/tonight probably doesn't move the needle.  There were have been 4,000 there tonight.  

I'd rather err on the side of caution and not risk a player losing footing and blowing out a knee.       It's April and it's a team from our region.............lots and lots and lots of chances for makeups.

The right decision was made. 

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

the turnout they had today/tonight probably doesn't move the needle.  There were have been 4,000 there tonight.  

I'd rather err on the side of caution and not risk a player losing footing and blowing out a knee.       It's April and it's a team from our region.............lots and lots and lots of chances for makeups.

They better call today's game too, it might sprinkle.

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It rained non stop from about 4:30 until, well, the last time I checked was about 8:30 and it was still going.   But as long as YOUR driveway is dry they should play. 

No, it didn't. I'm 15 minutes from Comerica. There's no reason to be snarky... I'm saying they could have played. They went by an incorrect forecast. "Due to the weather forecast;"

Screenshot_20240412_065213_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.1dd0e601b21e6a7ee2658eec008b94d4.jpg

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

agreed ... Riley Greene turns an ankle in some random thursday game when it shouldve been a rain out is gonna be annoying

48 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

agreed ... Riley Greene turns an ankle in some random thursday game when it shouldve been a rain out is gonna be annoying

Going by the forecast, tonight's game will be even worse. Heavy rain ending around gametime but also 40 MPH winds. Gonna be nasty.

15 hours ago, Toddwert said:

this is modern baseball - it's all about the probabilities. Harris and Hinch are going to have the team play to the probabilities on Mother Nature's tendencies just like any other pitcher's. - :classic_biggrin:

Joking aside, the advanced sale tickets aren't refunded, you still have to use then later, and I'm going to guess they estimate the increase in attendance for the DH on a nice weekend day will be greater than the lost walk-up on chilly rainy school week day game - which wasn't going to be much. By calling that early they probably don't have to pay much/any of the service crew. And you buy the goodwill of the fans that would have gone downtown to sit around the park waiting for a game that did have a high probability of being called anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2

It's early April and if my memory serves me well several of the weekday day games this early in the season cater to a lot of youth groups. Whether the Tigers give away the tickets or sell them at a discounted price.

Given there was quite a bit of chatter on this board Wednesday evening about the possibility of the game being postponed and the forecast's likelyhood of rain in the forecast, the powers that be decided they would be better off calling the game rather than have a couple thousand youngsters in the stands, or halfway to the ballpark and then call the game.

It allowed the groups, schools or whatever to reschedule their plans, possibly use a cancelation clause with their transportation providers. The kids and chaperones still get a ticket to a future event.

It also saves the team from criticism and grief from parents whose kids may of had to sit thru possible delays. As opposed to criticism from a couple moron message board posters.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is modern baseball - it's all about the probabilities. Harris and Hinch are going to have the team play to the probabilities on Mother Nature's tendencies just like any other pitcher's. - :classic_biggrin:

Joking aside, the advanced sale tickets aren't refunded, you still have to use then later, and I'm going to guess they estimate the increase in attendance for the DH on a nice weekend day will be greater than the lost walk-up on chilly rainy school week day game - which wasn't going to be much. By calling that early they probably don't have to pay much/any of the service crew. And you buy the goodwill of the fans that would have gone downtown to sit around the park waiting for a game that did have a high probability of being called anyway.

Oh, I agree and I even understand it. I really never argued they should play, only that they could have played. But it's a division game in April, plenty of time to make it up. A late season game against a team not coming back here may have forced them to try to get the game in. As it turned out, there was about a 4 hour window of no rain to light drizzle. I've seen teams play in much worse. Calling it was really the right decision in these circumstances.