4/19/24 8:10PM Tigers @ Twins

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would guess the CF experience worked against him in this case. Of what little OF he has played, he's played more center, so yielding is probably not a habit. But no matter - I don't care how experienced two OFs are, until they play next to each other for a while and learn each other's tendencies speed, call style, this kind of thing will *always* happen. There is a trust level that develops. In this case, Parker did pull off but Wenceel probably isn't sure and is still spooked. I'm just saying it's not really the players' fault when you put them in situations they've never worked through. And putting them out there may still have been what the team needed to do, that's not the point either. My point is just not to hammer the player for a confluence of circumstances that put them in a position where that kind of breakdown can be expected.

It's the downside of constantly moving players around. I guess the upside is match ups and happy clubhouse because everyone plays but to me it's not optimal. Perhaps with better players it will be less frequent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

It's the downside of constantly moving players around. I guess the upside is match ups and happy clubhouse because everyone plays but to me it's not optimal. Perhaps with better players it will be less frequent.

Even with players moving around, they will eventually get to 'know' each other, but it will take longer. Wenceel did get into 16 ST games, but it looks like mostly in center, so possibly he had never played next to or had a called ball situation with Parker.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I definitely think it will be. At whatever point we are peaking, we'll probably have something like five or six everyday guys who will get spelled maybe once every ten or so games, and six or so guys to rotate regularly among the other two or three slots.

• Like 1