4/19/24 8:10PM Tigers @ Twins

I had forgotten how good the '87 Tigers were that season.  Tops in the AL in offensive runs per game and 3rd best in runs allowed per game.  Meanwhile, Minnesota was slightly below league average in both measures.  And Detroit took the regular season series 8-4, outscoring the Twins a cumulative 83-58.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I couldn’t locate Matt Nokes’s plaque whe I visited Cooperstown a few years ago.

favorite player when i was a kid ... I always thought that Catchers were the coolest players

Edited by Toddwert

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was my first favorite player as a 6 year old fan only because my real name is Matt and 6 year old me thought it was so cool we shared a name. 

Was it Nokes or Fick who was the dead pull hitter - virtually every ball in the air right down the 1st base line?

8 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

favorite player when i was a kid ... I always thought that Catchers were the coolest players

From what I’ve heard, Jim Price was of the same opinion.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I had forgotten how good the '87 Tigers were that season.  Tops in the AL in offensive runs per game and 3rd best in runs allowed per game.  Meanwhile, Minnesota was slightly below league average in both measures.  And Detroit took the regular season series 8-4, outscoring the Twins a cumulative 83-58.

1987 and 2009 forever cemented the Twins as the devil for me.  They could be the last baseball team on the planet after a nuclear strike that I survived and I wouldn't root for them.

Tigers should have played the Cubs in 84 and the Cards in 87, and 2011 and 2013.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

1987 and 2009 forever cemented the Twins as the devil for me.  They could be the last baseball team on the planet after a nuclear strike that I survived and I wouldn't root for them.

Tigers should have played the Cubs in 84 and the Cards in 87, and 2011 and 2013.

Its baseball, so anything can happen.

1987 they had that weeklong play in trying to pass by Toronto to win the division.  Maybe that gassed them for the ALCS?

2009, hey, helluva game 163.  The 7th through 12th innings were mesmerizing.

6 hours ago, casimir said:

But then we met in the playoffs.....

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Its baseball, so anything can happen.

1987 they had that weeklong play in trying to pass by Toronto to win the division.  Maybe that gassed them for the ALCS?

2009, hey, helluva game 163.  The 7th through 12th innings were mesmerizing.

With instant replay...Tigers woulda won. Inge was hit by that pitch. 😡😡

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I will never put myself through watching that again in my life.

I won't watch it again either.  It was compelling enough live and my team didn't win.  I don't think I've ever watched a loss again.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I have always believed baseball really missed out in 84 when the Cubs didn’t make it. A Tigers/Cubs series would have been a good one. 

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I have always believed baseball really missed out in 84 when the Cubs didn’t make it. A Tigers/Cubs series would have been a good one. 

I think that was the last World Series with day games, or day games starting in the eastern time zone.  So, playing that in Wrigley would have been ironic.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think that was the last World Series with day games, or day games starting in the eastern time zone.  So, playing that in Wrigley would have been ironic.

Bill Buckner has and will always be remembered for his error in 86. You don’t hear as much about Leon Durham’s error in Game 5 of the 84 NL Championship Series. Durham let the ball go right through his legs and it costs the Cubs.

53 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If the Cubs had made it the Tigers would have had home field advantage because of Wrigley not having any lights.  The other options were they play their games at Comiskey or Busch.   Baseball didn’t want to lose the revenue of World Series night games for games 1 and 2 and a 6 or 7.