Comerica Park Detroit, MI

Game Time Forecast: 67 ☀️

Listen: 97.1 The 🎟️ 

Watch: Ballysports Det

Starters:

Justin Verlander

Jack Flaherty

IMG_2848.webp

Wow, Marvin Gaye had a Motor City  city connect jersey?     WOW !

Remember when they started sporting pink in ballgames on Mother’s Day? That was probably about, what, 2010 or so? Back then there was still enough of—to use a way of speaking contemporaneous to the times—the stink of gay around the color to suppress adoption of use, and I would say roughly two-thirds of players did not participate, and of those who did swing a pink bat their first time up, at least a third of them went back to their regular non-pink bats for subsequent trips to the plate.

We do have a completely different generation of players in the game now, though, and a lot of them were familiar with female authority figures in the sports they grew up playing, like women coaches, umpires, girl players, and the like. There’s a lot that’s good about that in general, and one of them is the softening up toward use of the color pink as not being a commentary on your manliness. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

According to Greene, some of them do. TMI.

Cyclists go commando and all they’ve got is a thin sheen of Lycra covering them so when they hit the tarmac their rears hang out and there’s just no way around it. And they’ll ride for another hundred miles like that. 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Remember when they started sporting pink in ballgames on Mother’s Day? That was probably about, what, 2010 or so? Back then there was still enough of—to use a way of speaking contemporaneous to the times—the stink of gay around the color to suppress adoption of use, and I would say roughly two-thirds of players did not participate, and of those who did swing a pink bat their first time up, at least a third of them went back to their regular non-pink bats for subsequent trips to the plate.

We do have a completely different generation of players in the game now, though, and a lot of them were familiar with female authority figures in the sports they grew up playing, like women coaches, umpires, girl players, and the like. There’s a lot that’s good about that in general, and one of them is the softening up toward use of the color pink as not being a commentary on your manliness. 

I just looked it up, and pink bats on Mother’s Day were first used in 2006, which is even longer ago, and if I’m not mistaken, the only player in the majors today who also played in 2006 was Justin Verlander, who, either for nothing or not for nothing, is not sporting even a stitch of pink anywhere on his person. At least not visibly. 😁

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I just looked it up, and pink bats on Mother’s Day were first used in 2006, which is even longer ago, and if I’m not mistaken, the only player in the majors today who also played in 2006 was Justin Verlander, who, either for nothing or not for nothing, is not sporting even a stitch of pink anywhere on his person. At least not visibly. 😁

The Nike swooshes on his shoes are pink and he has a little pink ribbon on his chest.