5/22/24 2:10PM Tigers @ Royals

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Canha is now officially worse than Baez in May and both are horrendous.

took a while for the Tigers approach to take root, but now Canha is fully on board with controlling the zone

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

yep. people made fun of them for (gasp) trying to get better last winter. imagine how completely crazy it is that front offices have to defend their choices to try to improve their teams. 

OK I'll bite, outside of Seth Lugo the rest of their signings have been lackluster.  

Wacha 4.45 ERA
Smith 7.63 ERA
Renfroe .160 AVG .518 OPS
Frazier .189 AVG .547 OPS
Lugo 1.79 ERA

So the signings outside of Lugo have been Baez and Maeda level in terms of performance. The Royals have benefited from Witt playing like an MVP, Salvador Perez finding the fountain of youth and Ragans, Marsh pitching well. They are not doing well because they "improved the team through FA". 

• Like 1

Will Vest shoulda just gone out to the mound and told Hinch to sit down and shut up. Overmanaging game after game with totally foreseeable results. Oh well, it's good to lower fans expectations. We wouldn't want to disappoint them.

3 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

OK I'll bite, outside of Seth Lugo the rest of their signings have been lackluster.  

Wacha 4.45 ERA
Smith 7.63 ERA
Renfroe .160 AVG .518 OPS
Frazier .189 AVG .547 OPS
Lugo 1.79 ERA

So the signings outside of Lugo have been Baez and Maeda level in terms of performance. The Royals have benefited from Witt playing like an MVP, Salvador Perez finding the fountain of youth and Ragans, Marsh pitching well. They are not doing well because they "improved the team through FA". 

They're going to fade. I see them losing between 80 and 90 games.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Starting to think the Diamondbacks pitchers were tipping their pitches or something.   Total anomaly last weekend.        

the tiger self professed approach to hitting has always seemed to me to be optimized for hitting bad pitching. So you get it and you clean up and struggle the rest of the time. The DBacks pitchers didn't ever have the sense to pitch Baez outside.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

I don't think they are...but they can probably hang in the division race because they have two elite hitters right now.

I doubt Perez will continue to post a 163 OPS+ the rest of the season. I also doubt they win 90 games. But they are now 13 games over .500 and have positioned themselves well to make a run at a playoff spot. 

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

will we ever see a hitter come to the Tigers and have better than his average year?

He's a 36 year old on the downward part of an average career. Did we expect a .320 hitter with 40 home runs? Or a guy collecting a huge paycheck before sliding into retirement?

Wow.    Season just ended this week.  The rest is pointless.     Again before Memorial Day.   Couldn't even get us to the 4th of July.   How many years in a row is this team going to be out of it before the first day of Summer.    Yeah, yeah, I know "evaluation"  "rebuilding" "young team".    Sorry,  I'm ****ing sick of it.   

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's a 36 year old on the downward part of an average career. Did we expect a .320 hitter with 40 home runs? Or a guy collecting a huge paycheck before sliding into retirement?

no doubt the who of who they have brought in is part of the equation, but that's no comfort to the result.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow.    Season just ended this week.  The rest is pointless.     Again before Memorial Day.   Couldn't even get us to the 4th of July.   How many years in a row is this team going to be out of it before the first day of Summer.    Yeah, yeah, I know "evaluation"  "rebuilding" "young team".    Sorry,  I'm ****ing sick of it.   

Out of what? Despite this week, they are still only 2 games out of the final playoff spot. Contending for the division looks unlikely, but there are still more than 100 games to play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1