'cruitin

romad1

Liking Michigan's 2022 class.   I gather Deon Sanders has upset the old boy network down in SEC land by poaching some names.   I hope OSU suddenly went from a great class to disaster on the impact of The Game (won't hold my breath for that).  Heard MSU gave Tate Myre an honorary scholarship which is fantastic. 

It sounds like Coach Prime did a bit more than poach, apparently they're basically paying the kid like 1.5 million leveraging the NIL rules.  If that's the case.... it's a new ballgame now.

He poached the kid from Florida State.   Which is where people think Prime will be coaching very soon because it makes perfect sense.    

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Liking Michigan's 2022 class.   I gather Deon Sanders has upset the old boy network down in SEC land by poaching some names.   I hope OSU suddenly went from a great class to disaster on the impact of The Game (won't hold my breath for that).  Heard MSU gave Tate Myre an honorary scholarship which is fantastic. 

People don't believe me when I say that I think NIL is going to turn *everything*  upside down before all is said and done.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

People don't believe me when I say that I think NIL is going to turn *everything*  upside down before all is said and done.

We haven’t scratched the surface of what NIL will become.   We are in the infancy.   It will completely change college football and the sport will look completely different within 10 years.   I expect everything will change including playoffs, bowl games, draft rules, eligibility, transfers, and of course signing day.   

Edited by Hongbit

dabo went so far to say that the transfer portal takes away from the focus on education.

lord, give me the strength to lie and have no shame like dabo.  one of the biggest cheaters in college football has the gall to say that the transfer portal belies college football's educational mission because clemson cant compete with other schools on nil money.

that slimy pos is giving urban meyer a run for his money as the worst person in football.  what a fucking phony.

michigan finished strong.  still have some guys who might sign late too.  getting a top 10 class out of this with the way they started is a testament to how important this year's results were for them.

the next two years - if they can continue their success - might see them get closer to having top talent again.

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Gotta love this schmarmy schmuck thinking he's a victim of some sort of foul play.

Well Dabo, the following NFL teams will be looking for a Head Coach next year

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Jacksonville Jaguars

Las Vegas Raiders

Denver Broncos

and maybe the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan finished strong.  still have some guys who might sign late too.  getting a top 10 class out of this with the way they started is a testament to how important this year's results were for them.

the next two years - if they can continue their success - might see them get closer to having top talent again.

Until he signs an extension, its still not certain that Harbaugh will remain as coach.   I assume Gattis will be promoted if Jim elects to take the Bears or another NFL job.  

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Until he signs an extension, its still not certain that Harbaugh will remain as coach.   I assume Gattis will be promoted if Jim elects to take the Bears or another NFL job.  

I don't think Harbaugh wants to go anywhere else. I think he likes working with College players. But we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

you're thinking that harbaugh is a normal person.  he's not.  he's a freak.  i dont think he's going anywhere.

'Cruitin  is more like like 'Bribin' these days.    

I was for players getting paid because every decision in college football has been based solely on money in the last 10-15 years, but the amounts feel a bit ridiculous and it seems like there is a big chance this blows up in everyone's face.      Only a matter of time before high school players get *legally* paid.   Couple this with open gambling and it all feels more dirty than ever.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i dont see how.  are they going to unionize?

a draft a follow system like hockey might work.

NLRB has cleared the way for a union to form and some people at UMinn are already trying to get one off the ground, so that possibility is being pursued.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31896889/new-players-association-aims-represent-college-football-players-amid-changing-ncaa-landscape

The hockey model ties a player to a pro team, so in a system like that the NFL and the NCAA/conferences could work out deals on player placement, but I think it would still end up looking different because the current hockey system maintains amateur status for college hockey players and that is just what has gone away. Or maybe I should day maintained? I feel like all terms have to be used past tense!

But one place I wouldn't look for constructive solutions would be the NFL. To them, the beauty of NIL is that it is not their money. I don't see them being in a hurry to offer suggestions for a system  that looks like a minor league and makes them responsible for salary payments into a minor league/college  system.

Edited by gehringer_2

The long term question to me is whether NIL fundraising will eventually eat academic fundraising. College football doesn't make that much money for most schools - but just breaking even on the athletic dept budget is considered good enough because the good will generated by a national sports presence is thought to prime alumni giving across the board. But depending on where the NIL arms race goes/is allowed to go, at what point are you having to divert so much of your total development dollars into NIL that you can no longer make the argument that FB is supporting a net positive in the overall giving to the rest of the institution? For scale, UM is budgeting for ~$150M in donor contributions for FY '22. Just to pick a number out of thin air, let's say you can argue that a third of that is supported by sports goodwill That means if NIL costs get near $50M/yr people may start asking why you are operating a football team. Could it get there? Who knows at this point? Since M is one of the richest sports programs and also has one of the biggest total donor bases, you have to think those numbers are relatively smaller most other places. Sure, the Alabama's, Notre Dames and Michigans are not really very likely to be driven to the mat by this, but you have to have other teams to play! If schools at the bottom who can't compete financially start dropping out of conferences, the formation of new super conferences may be actually be fine from the fans perspective and the net result will be more non-revenue football being played in more places. Maybe not such a bad end - who knows?

Edited by gehringer_2