Padres Willing to give up top prospect to Carry dead weight

AlaskanTigersFan

I would entertain thoughts about Wil Meyers.  He's expensive at $22.5M for 2022, and there is a $20M team option for 2023 with a $1M buyout.  But he's a RHH OF bat, which I think could be helpful to balance out Baddoo and Greene in the outfield (with the RH bat and with the experience), and could reasonably play everyday if necessary.

Hosmer is due $21M in 2022 and can opt out after that.  But if not, he's on the books for 3 more seasons at $13M per.  This seems to be an unlikely fit given Torkelson at 1B and Candelario at 3B (if Torkelson at 3B is still an option).  Candelario is under control through 2023 and I would guess is projecting an extension is a toss up at this point.  I would think the prospect return would be higher with Hosmer, but I'm just not sure where he would fit 2023-2025.

I might have been interested in this deal a year ago, when "buying a prospect" would have been more appealing.  But now, on the verge of having a good team, it seems like a step backwards.  I keep reminding myself that Avila has a budget that has been set by ownership.  For all we know, he has already spent it.  But if he hasn't, if there is still $20 million left, I don't want to spend it on a stiff like Myers who is the 4th OF at best on the Tigers, just to get a prospect who might turn out to be good, or might not. I want to spend it on another starter and a reliever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure we know what to expect out of the budget for 2022, or what kind of signings will occur once the CBA is finalized.  I don't know what kind of budget the Tigers had to being with.  I would prioritize another SP ahead of an OF, I think there is still a need in the rotation.

Cots has the Tigers at $116.3M for 2022 (and they also use the correct old English D), and bbref has them at $115.1M.

I question Meyers' defense, but I think his bat would be helpful.  Grossman had a career type season, Baddoo had a nice rookie season, Hill has a great glove when healthy, and there are high hopes for Greene.  But its not a stacked OF by any means.

I understand the hesitation at first, but this isn't going to be a typical offseason.  If there is a short window in between the CBA and spring training, I think there could be a lot of short term deals signed, and possibly some bargains that the Tigers could take advantage of.  That's probably the best route to adding another OF (if needed).  But I wouldn't shut out San Diego's desire to move Myers just yet.  They might feel pressure to move him, and if its a short window of opportunity to do so, the level of prospect attached to Meyers might need to be improved.  And regardless of who is on the major league team now, there's always room for more prospects in the minor leagues.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I'm not sure we know what to expect out of the budget for 2022, or what kind of signings will occur once the CBA is finalized.  I don't know what kind of budget the Tigers had to being with.  I would prioritize another SP ahead of an OF, I think there is still a need in the rotation.

Cots has the Tigers at $116.3M for 2022 (and they also use the correct old English D), and bbref has them at $115.1M.

I question Meyers' defense, but I think his bat would be helpful.  Grossman had a career type season, Baddoo had a nice rookie season, Hill has a great glove when healthy, and there are high hopes for Greene.  But its not a stacked OF by any means.

I understand the hesitation at first, but this isn't going to be a typical offseason.  If there is a short window in between the CBA and spring training, I think there could be a lot of short term deals signed, and possibly some bargains that the Tigers could take advantage of.  That's probably the best route to adding another OF (if needed).  But I wouldn't shut out San Diego's desire to move Myers just yet.  They might feel pressure to move him, and if its a short window of opportunity to do so, the level of prospect attached to Meyers might need to be improved.  And regardless of who is on the major league team now, there's always room for more prospects in the minor leagues.

I follow your logic regarding the question marks with the OF, but think we should avoid adding any others to the mix.  I want Hill, Baddoo and Cameron to get AB’s (already assuming that Greene will be a starter).  Would like to see what we have in these guys.  Same goes with Paredes in the infield.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I follow your logic regarding the question marks with the OF, but think we should avoid adding any others to the mix.  I want Hill, Baddoo and Cameron to get AB’s (already assuming that Greene will be a starter).  Would like to see what we have in these guys.  Same goes with Paredes in the infield.

Based on Paredes minor league history so far, Paredes has to have extended playing time. I am not sure if we have room, and I am not really sure Hinch likes the guy. I think he is going to end up being an above average MLB regular. I like him a lot.

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think Cameron has an option left, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm jumping off of the Paredes bandwagon after seeing how out of shape he looked in winter ball.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

As long as he's getting at bats; nothing else matters much.

I don't know.  Is he a finished product with the glove?  I doubt it.

In his defense, we don't know what the arrangement of his team is with the other infielders and other major league teams.  There might not be an official working relationship with MLB and this league, but there could be some playing situations/promises made with various teams, couldn't there?