NorthWoods Posted July 31 Posted July 31 56 minutes ago, Hongbit said: I love what Lee has done so far but the sample size is so tiny that I can’t put him in as part of the future core quite yet. None of Anderson, Ranier, Lee have yet.....but I'm an optimist. I didn't dig further down the prospect list, though I was tempted. Quote
Tenacious D Posted July 31 Posted July 31 35 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said: If Skubal/Mize/Torres are dealt, I expect 2 higher level prospects back at minimum. But truly, the key to making this a better team for next year is taking an Ozempic shot to this roster and cutting all the visceral fat out of the 40-man roster and then replacing them with players that have some type of legitimate mlb skill set and prospects that are rule V eligible. No one from the group of: Vierling, McKinstry, Perez, Outman, Cruz, Verlander, Flaherty, Jansen, Anderson, Gipson-Long, Vanasco, B. Smith, Waguespack, Workman and Sweeney should be on the 40-man going into next spring. You could probably add several more like Brieske, Diaz, Granillo, Vest, etc. If we are going to sell off our big three upcoming free agents and call up Clark—then it’s also going to be time to call up Anderson also and then have some wiggle room to add the next crop of guys onto the 40-man for next spring (Briceno, Peck, Callahan, etc.) Very unrealistic to have 40 studs on the 40-man. I think they are leveraging it properly. The issue is when we need the room for players who require protection. Quote
Cruzer1 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 This is just a hunch, but Mize's last start, he was 90-91 on the radar, which is unfortunate timing. I think he might be injured, but he hasn't been put on the il, so what do I know? Quote
CaliforniaDreaming Posted July 31 Posted July 31 If he is injured, it will show up on the medicals before the trade if finalized. It seems foolish for the Tigers to try to hide an injury knowing it will probably be discovered before the trade is finalized. Quote
chasfh Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said: No one from the group of: Vierling, McKinstry, Perez, Outman, Cruz, Verlander, Flaherty, Jansen, Anderson, Gipson-Long, Vanasco, B. Smith, Waguespack, Workman and Sweeney should be on the 40-man going into next spring. You could probably add several more like Brieske, Diaz, Granillo, Vest, etc. I wonder when the last time an organization turned over 15 spots on their 40-man over the course of a winter? 1 Quote
1984Echoes Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, Tiger337 said: I think I would be happy if they ended up with one impact player out of this. That ... So you're not expecting Scott Harris to succeed in getting a Randy Johnson return for Skubal (Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen, John Halama)? You're expecting him to fail by getting a Justin Verlander return (Franklin Perez, Jake Rogers, Daz Cameron)? I'm just asking what exactly you're expecting out of Scott Harris. It's a KEY moment in time... for him. You're expecting him to fail? Quote
1984Echoes Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, KL2 said: MLB deals rarely get that complicated Maybe... But I'm still high on HOPIUM at the moment so I'm not going to let go of that until the fat lady has sung... 1 Quote
Tiger337 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said: If Skubal/Mize/Torres are dealt, I expect 2 higher level prospects back at minimum. I don't doubt they'll get good prospects and the propect hounds will pump them up big time, but we won't know for several years how good they'll be. I suspect the return will look worse 7 years from now than it does on Monday. That's what I mean when I say I would be happy with one impact player. They may also add 1 or 2 players who ae ok but not impactful. I am fairly optimistic about their future. They have some good core pieces and they have some good prospects on the way. I just don't think this deadline is going to make or break the next decade. 1 Quote
1984Echoes Posted July 31 Posted July 31 10 minutes ago, chasfh said: I wonder when the last time an organization turned over 15 spots on their 40-man over the course of a winter? 1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said: ... the key to making this a better team for next year is ... No one from the group of: Vierling, McKinstry, Perez, Outman, Cruz, Verlander, Flaherty, Jansen, Anderson, Gipson-Long, Vanasco, B. Smith, Waguespack, Workman and Sweeney should be on the 40-man going into next spring. You could probably add several more like Brieske, Diaz, Granillo, Vest, etc. ... Yeah, I'm sorry MT... But, don't you think that's a bit much? Quote
Tiger337 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said: So you're not expecting Scott Harris to succeed in getting a Randy Johnson return for Skubal (Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen, John Halama)? You're expecting him to fail by getting a Justin Verlander return (Franklin Perez, Jake Rogers, Daz Cameron)? I'm just asking what exactly you're expecting out of Scott Harris. It's a KEY moment in time... for him. You're expecting him to fail? I am expecting something in between those two extremes since your second scenario did not have any impact players in it. Quote
1984Echoes Posted July 31 Posted July 31 2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: I don't doubt they'll get good prospects and the propect hounds will pump them up big time, but we won't know for several years how good they'll be. I suspect the return will look worse 7 years from now than it does on Monday. That's what I mean when I say I would be happy with one impact player. They may also add 1 or 2 players who ae ok but not impactful. I am fairly optimistic about their future. They have some good core pieces and they have some good prospects on the way. I just don't think this deadline is going to make or break the next decade. OK... This is a little more clarity/ clear. Quote
AlaskanTigersFan Posted July 31 Posted July 31 10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: I don't doubt they'll get good prospects and the propect hounds will pump them up big time, but we won't know for several years how good they'll be. I suspect the return will look worse 7 years from now than it does on Monday. That's what I mean when I say I would be happy with one impact player. They may also add 1 or 2 players who ae ok but not impactful. I am fairly optimistic about their future. They have some good core pieces and they have some good prospects on the way. I just don't think this deadline is going to make or break the next decade. The analytics on today's prospects are unlike anything we've ever seen before. More and more top 100 prospects are becoming legit ML players than ever before. The chance that we get multiple high end prospects, we should have an amazing hit rate on them. Sure some will fail. But if we walk away with a top 25 prospect, one or two top 50 prospects and another top 100 prospect, I'm going to guess three of the four at least will contribute in a major way. Quote
Tiger337 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 Just now, AlaskanTigersFan said: The analytics on today's prospects are unlike anything we've ever seen before. More and more top 100 prospects are becoming legit ML players than ever before. The chance that we get multiple high end prospects, we should have an amazing hit rate on them. Sure some will fail. But if we walk away with a top 25 prospect, one or two top 50 prospects and another top 100 prospect, I'm going to guess three of the four at least will contribute in a major way. I am very aware of that, but I think the hit rate is still less than you are implying. Quote
AlaskanTigersFan Posted July 31 Posted July 31 2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: I am very aware of that, but I think the hit rate is still less than you are implying. The Mets are asking for a ML pitcher right now and a top 100 prospect plus more for Peralta. He was pulled from starting because there's interest. I think we may drastically be undervaluing Mize's return........ Let alone Skubal...... Putting it in perspective, the Mets would be asking for Sheehan + Zyhir Hope from the Dodgers (or value similar) plus another prospect. Are you telling me you wouldn't bust a nut if the Tigers got that value back for Mize? Quote
Tiger337 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 (edited) 11 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said: The Mets are asking for a ML pitcher right now and a top 100 prospect plus more for Peralta. He was pulled from starting because there's interest. I think we may drastically be undervaluing Mize's return........ Let alone Skubal...... Putting it in perspective, the Mets would be asking for Sheehan + Zyhir Hope from the Dodgers (or value similar) plus another prospect. Are you telling me you wouldn't bust a nut if the Tigers got that value back for Mize? Are they asking for it or did they already get it? Edited July 31 by Tiger337 Quote
NorthWoods Posted July 31 Posted July 31 17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: This guy is legit and I follow him closely. That may be true but the results were still on the level that any organization would take. 6IP, 3H, 1R Quote
Tiger337 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 minute ago, NorthWoods said: That may be true but the results were still on the level that any organization would take. 6IP, 3H, 1R The point is lower velocity often suggests an injury Quote
diaspora04 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: This guy is legit and I follow him closely. The Paul Molitor of pitching. Great when he plays. Hurt all the time. Quote
NorthWoods Posted July 31 Posted July 31 Some projected returns..... https://www.patreon.com/TigersMinorLeagueReport/posts/evaluating-for-165385934 Quote
NorthWoods Posted July 31 Posted July 31 15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: The point is lower velocity often suggests an injury ...or a softer approach to avoid injury. But more likely an injury. Quote
1984Echoes Posted July 31 Posted July 31 (edited) 19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said: The point is lower velocity often suggests an injury 2 minutes ago, NorthWoods said: ...or a softer approach to avoid injury. But more likely an injury. Or... Sometimes... Just a "tired arm". Puts a guy on the shelf without an actual injury... PS: Don't pitchers call that "dead arm"? Edited July 31 by 1984Echoes Quote
monkeytargets39 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said: Yeah, I'm sorry MT... But, don't you think that's a bit much? Do we need them? How many more ABs and Innings are we giving any of these guys at this point? DFA them and if someone claims them, oh well—otherwise they’re minor league depth Quote
monkeytargets39 Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, Tenacious D said: Very unrealistic to have 40 studs on the 40-man. I think they are leveraging it properly. The issue is when we need the room for players who require protection. There’s at least 5 guys we have to add. Quote
casimir Posted July 31 Posted July 31 1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said: So you're not expecting Scott Harris to succeed in getting a Randy Johnson return for Skubal (Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen, John Halama)? You're expecting him to fail by getting a Justin Verlander return (Franklin Perez, Jake Rogers, Daz Cameron)? I'm just asking what exactly you're expecting out of Scott Harris. It's a KEY moment in time... for him. You're expecting him to fail? Couldn’t it be somewhere in between those returns? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.