The Shaving Thread

djhutch

I contemplated putting this in the consumer review thread, but I thought maybe having its own name would get more feedback. 

I have been shaving my head for roughly 10 years.  The best results I've had were with a Gillette Fusion, but it got to a point that I just couldn't bring myself to spend $20-$25 for 4 razor blades - even if I did stretch them for a couple weeks.  I switched to Dollar Shave Club, which has been fabulous until recently.  I don't know if the blades have changed, or if I'm just getting more reckless, but I've nicked myself about a half dozen times pretty good & finding good kut kits is next to impossible.

So for the first time I'm thinking about getting an electric shaver.  Anybody have any experience in this area, before I bleed to death?

I switched to a safety razor a few years ago.  I feel I get a better shave with just the single blade and I never ran numbers, but I think it is cheaper.

Looking on Amazon right now.  100 Gillette Platinum Blue blades for $12.92.  I would guess you get bare minimum 5 shaves per blade and more likely 7-10.  So you have your next 3-5 years of blades for $13.  I don't do it but you can use a leather strop on the blades to extend their life.

Next step is using a straight razor.  

• Like 2

I don’t shave my head so I can’t offer advice there.

I’ve used DSC and Harry’s. DSC was good and then quality started to decline. Harry’s always ended up nicking me so I dropped them quick. 

Im going to go back to the old fashioned safety razor when I exhaust my current blades. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have been shaving my head for 25 years and use Gillette Proglide ($28 for 8 amazon). The key for me is the vibrating handle. Smooth as a baby butt and no irritation.

That's not bad .. I was always a little nervous about vibrating razor blades, though!

On 4/14/2022 at 9:50 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

I don’t shave my head so I can’t offer advice there.

I’ve used DSC and Harry’s. DSC was good and then quality started to decline. Harry’s always ended up nicking me so I dropped them quick. 

I'm going to go back to the old fashioned safety razor when I exhaust my current blades. 

This is exactly where I'm at.  I tried Harry's as well & got the WORST slice I've ever had.  Worse yet, I was in a hotel room.  I'm surprised they didn't call the cops with all the blood on those towels. DSC has been great for 5-6 years, but lately it's gone down .. thus my dilemma. 

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

What gets me are the guys who try to hold onto the few strands of hair left on their head. Guy, you look terrible just shave it or cut it closer.

I have a standing order every 6 weeks or so for a cut with a #2 blade. No desire to shave my head completely (serious receding hairline). I'll pay the extra rather than do it myself or try to convince my wife along with the cleanup.

• Haha 1

I recently bought a safety razor and found out that watching instructional videos on youtube is not only helpful, it is necessary. I started using it like I would the other razors I've been using my whole life and there was quite a bit of blood.

My piece of advice is that these razors are great but you need to edumacate yourself on how to use them properly so you get your best and most inexpensive shave ever.

27 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

recently bought a safety razor

so I'm old enough that safety razors were still the most common article when I started shaving. The better ones had adjustable blade guides. The cheaper ones without that were pretty brutal. The other big problem with the old style safety razor is you have to be really careful with it, which most people used to disposable plastics aren't conditioned to. Bang it around or let the blades get a little nicked - easy because they were heavy and so much blade was exposed - and your face is toast. It was a big 'breakthough' improvement when the 'Techmatic' came out because it had a blade guard that snapped in place to shield the edge when the razor wasn't in use.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...