Red Wings looking for a Head Coach

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No love for Gerard Gallant? Dude took an expansion team to a Stanley Cup and also took an above average Panthers team to first in the division, granted they were bounced early in the playoffs. Who cares if he's the Rangers head coach, trade for him out when they get bounced.

no.  gallant is a quick fix guy who burns out quickly.  and im not giving up assets for that.  if he wanted gallant - and if gallant wanted to come here - they could have done it last year.

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Trotz is a no if true. 

I thought Trotz has already quit one job because they wanted to move him to management and he wanted to coach? Maybe he's changed his mind over time.

Not to mention "some believe....". Really?

Taking lessons from Lynn Henning

Edited by gehringer_2

Would Trotz even want to come to Detroit?  He seems like a classic safe veteran > younger players coach to me, and while he's a great one, I'm not sure the Wings are in the place to take him on.  But maybe I'm off, seems to me like he would be better suited with say Vegas than where Detroit is at.

17 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Would Trotz even want to come to Detroit?  He seems like a classic safe veteran > younger players coach to me, and while he's a great one, I'm not sure the Wings are in the place to take him on.  But maybe I'm off, seems to me like he would be better suited with say Vegas than where Detroit is at.

or he goes home to winnipeg.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

The hope for any big name is the allure of being the head coach of this franchise will outweigh the challenges of coaching this roster.   

Edited by Hongbit

• 3 weeks later...

This long wait makes me feel like Yzerman is waiting for the Lightning season to end before finalizing a move, like he wants to be able to check on someone from that organization first.   I can't see Jon Cooper being available, I think that would cost multiple 1st round picks.   Could it be Jeff Halpern or Derek Lalonde?   Might be that Yzerman could be waiting for a chance just to interview someone.   

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This long wait makes me feel like Yzerman is waiting for the Lightning season to end before finalizing a move, like he wants to be able to check on someone from that organization first.   I can't see Jon Cooper being available, I think that would cost multiple 1st round picks.   Could it be Jeff Halpern or Derek Lalonde?   Might be that Yzerman could be waiting for a chance just to interview someone.   

It’s a long wait for the fans but all the jobs less Montreal are all still open.   I think he’s right on a normal timetable.    I think both Halpern and Lalonde are top candidates for a number of openings including here.    Not sure what to make of the Fedorov rumors.   He doesn’t seem like a fit.  

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s a long wait for the fans but all the jobs less Montreal are all still open.   I think he’s right on a normal timetable.    I think both Halpern and Lalonde are top candidates for a number of openings including here.    Not sure what to make of the Fedorov rumors.   He doesn’t seem like a fit.  

The fact that #91 is still not retired indicated to me that there is still a great deal of bitterness with ownership, so I doubt he gets the gig.  

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The fact that #91 is still not retired indicated to me that there is still a great deal of bitterness with ownership, so I doubt he gets the gig.  

Still, after playing with him for 13 yrs I don't think anyone is going to tell Yzerman anything about Federov that would change his mind about whether he wants him or not and I don't see Chris Ilitch, who is the only one who could, actually countermanding Yzerman on it. That said, I agree with Hongbit he seems like a far-fetched choice for enough other reasons that that one wouldn't be top of the list anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2