Red Wings looking for a Head Coach

On 6/24/2022 at 8:21 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

If Colorado wins tonight, when does Derek Lalonde or Jeff Halpern get named the Wings new Head Coach.  Monday?  

Is there any chance in the world both come to Detroit? Or is it one or the other? All the articles I've seen are Derek Lalonde. But is it possible to take both?

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Weekes now hinting that Lalonde AND Halpern could come to Detroit with Blashill going to Tampa to be an assistant for his good buddy Cooper.

that might be a bit weird for the '2nd' guy. You'd usually want more than horizontal move to make it worth your while.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that might be a bit weird for the '2nd' guy. You'd usually want more than horizontal move to make it worth your while.

100% agree it seems like an odd move for Halpern if he's going to be an assistant again but maybe him and Lalonde have something worked out where he will have more duties etc?  Also with the Wings I don't trust any leaks so...

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

what would you trade for pierre luc dubois?

I don't know if I would want to bring PLD into Detroit's rebuilding situation.  Pouted his way out of Columbus and now wants out of Winnipeg (or just to test free agency?).  He seems solid (top tier 2C?) but the vibe he gives off I don't love.  They weren't great situations in Columbus and Winnipeg (Torts and then having to live in Winnipeg/rumors their leadership is kinda meh) so it could just be that, but I'm not sure he would see Detroit as any better.  I would be afraid he'd just bolt for free agency like he told the Jets.

The Rangers are supposedly interested in him and I've seen Kaako + first round pick floated as a potential trade, also Chytil's name has been showing up and he just had a hot playoffs.  Seems risky if that's about the price.  If you could get PLD signed to an extension or something like that before then I would probably pay a prospect and a first for him, they need the C help.  Though I would hate to part with say Edvinsson and I feel like that's what it would be for the prospect.  Guess it is a good thing I don't do this for a living I can't decide.

13 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I don't know if I would want to bring PLD into Detroit's rebuilding situation.  Pouted his way out of Columbus and now wants out of Winnipeg (or just to test free agency?).  He seems solid (top tier 2C?) but the vibe he gives off I don't love.  They weren't great situations in Columbus and Winnipeg (Torts and then having to live in Winnipeg/rumors their leadership is kinda meh) so it could just be that, but I'm not sure he would see Detroit as any better.  I would be afraid he'd just bolt for free agency like he told the Jets.

The Rangers are supposedly interested in him and I've seen Kaako + first round pick floated as a potential trade, also Chytil's name has been showing up and he just had a hot playoffs.  Seems risky if that's about the price.  If you could get PLD signed to an extension or something like that before then I would probably pay a prospect and a first for him, they need the C help.  Though I would hate to part with say Edvinsson and I feel like that's what it would be for the prospect.  Guess it is a good thing I don't do this for a living I can't decide.

it would take bertuzzi, #8, and maybe zadina or hronek.  i think.  would you rather keep bert and have a young player on an elc who MIGHT be the next raymond but COULD ALSO be the next zadina?  

like you, i'm more worried about his attitude issues and how much they'd have to pay him in two years.

i'd pass because the price will likely be more than i want to pay plus the aforementioned attitude issues.

I'm extremely loathe to include Bertuzzi in a trade because I believe he is just so dynamic on the offensive end... I don't want to let go...

To that end... I know the team is a bit desperate to build this team up and therefore 2C is way high up on the "must have" list...

But with so little talent yet, in Detroit, I'm looking for "free" or as close to free options as possible. So:

1) A free agent. Nothing but money.

2) Pushing a round peg into a square hole: Can Berggren play Center?

3) In the draft: can we get by with nothing but draft picks and any prospect(s) not named Cossa or Edvinsson?

The dearth of talent in Detroit is what drives me to search for alternate methods to fill that hole. Like #'s 1, 2 or 3.

i'd definitely deal cossa in a deal for a good center.  goalies are fickle and cossa is a giraffe on skates right now.  all the talent in the world, but he's got a long way to go.

teams dont usually deal #1 defensemen or 1-2 centers for a reason.  we've got our #1 defenseman...

as for bert, he's a great disruptor and a really good player, but he's about to turn 26 and is due to get paid big money after this year.  if your timeline to compete is now based on seider/raymond, then the time to move bert to maximize his value is now.  he'll be in his 30s when the wings are ready to compete.  with his play style and injury history, there's a good chance he's not the same player by then.

• Like 1

Blash took a difficult job.  To take over a team as they are starting their tanking.   I didn't have a problem with him until the 2nd half of this season when it appeared something wasn't getting through to the players.     A lot like the task that Buddy Bell faced when he took the Tigers gig.  I think both were decent coaches/managers who had no shot at winning.