Red Wings looking for a Head Coach

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Blashill, Houda and Goalie Coach Jeff Salajko all "not renewed"

I hope Blashill gets the Michigan State gig, he'll do a great job there and bring them back from the abyss.  

that certainly didn't take long. Almost surprised Yzerman didn't have the new guy announced already - but I suppose he could be working for a team still playing.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I want an experienced NHL coach. Iyer's list could give us another Blashill.

Who are you thinking?  I can’t see Torts personality working.  Quenneville willl be employable again but I don’t think enough time has passed.   Claude Julian and Paul Maurice aren’t exciting.     

Won't be Sergei...........the fact that #91 is still not in the rafters, even with Yzerman as the GM, shows that somewhere there is still some bitterness. 

There have only been 2 European head coaches and neither lasted long, but Larionov has been in North America longer than he was in Russia, so I don't think you can call him just European anymore. 

I think Yzerman is looking for someone with experience.   

I'm ranking them like this.......

Rich Tocchet - Checks a few boxes

John Tortorella - He feels more like a quick fix to me, but he's out there and he would be entertaining as hell.  

Paul Maurice - Well traveled, but most NHL coaches are. 

Peter DeBoer (if he's fired in Vegas)

I have seen some suggestions of bringing Babcock back but I think he's damaged goods and now that we've loaded this team with so much young talent, some of which will not meet expectations, we're probably entering the stage of the rebuild where the Wings start courting major Free Agents and Babcock might be poison there. 

Gallant would be the perfect red-ass type of coach, but he's spoken for and I bet at this time next year he'll be looking for another job. It's like the timing never lines up with Gerry, but he's the kind of coach that lights a fire under guys and then burns them out quickly, like the Billy Martin of hockey.    

If Yzerman could somehow get Jon Cooper or Rod Brind'Amour, that would be a no-brainer, but why would Tampa let him go? 

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Marc Carwford got hired?   I don't think that would happen, but you never know.  

Former Wings that could get considered are Igor Larionov, Lane Lambert, Kris Draper, Martin Lapointe, but I don't see any of those guys as a Head Coach.  I could see Draper, Matlby or Lapointe coming here as an assistant, but I don't think Igor would want to be an assistant. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Give me the Frolunda coach or Lane Lambert.  I'm not personally interested in the same names that get cycled through bad teams year after year.  Especially Tortorella, please dear god no.  He would probably play Vrana 6 minutes a night and trash him in the media after every game.  The young coaches in college also intrigue me, I would hope they would be more flexible than Blashill was with his shitty systems. 

Yzerman's last coach hire was Jon Cooper (now the longest tenured coach in the NHL) who had never coached in the NHL before getting the gig in Tampa.  I hope he goes this route with the Wings.

• Like 1

I am going to shamelessly steal from Bultman's article on candidates for the people who jumped out at me:

Lane Lambert, assistant coach, New York Islanders

Yzeman’s former teammate (and roommate) in Detroit, Lambert has spent the last decade as the right-hand man for Barry Trotz in Nashville, Washington and now New York. The familiarity with Detroit’s GM is interesting, but even without it, Lambert’s time learning from one of the NHL’s best coaches is invaluable and would have Lambert near the top of any prospective candidate list regardless. The Islanders went to the last two Eastern Conference finals as underdogs and pushed the Lightning to seven games last season.

“He’s extremely detailed,” Islanders forward Matt Martin said of Lambert two seasons ago. “You never go into a game not prepared.”

Ryan Warsofsky, head coach, Chicago Wolves

Warsofsky coached the Wolves to the top record in the AHL this season and was an assistant on the Charlotte Checkers’ 2019 Calder Cup team that featured Alex Nedeljkovic in 2019. That’s an impressive track record for a coach who’s just 34 years old. The age is an interesting factor, as he could end up coaching a player or two who is older than him in the NHL, but it’s hard to argue with his results so far.

Mitch Love, head coach, Stockton Heat

Stockton looks poised to win the Pacific Division in Love’s first year on the job, one year after finishing last in the AHL’s Canadian Division. He spent the previous three years coaching WHL Saskatoon and has served as an assistant for Team Canada at the 2020 and 2021 World Juniors, as well as the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup previously. At 37, he’s young too, but that kind of turnaround in his first AHL season is promising, and his experience with Hockey Canada should give Detroit confidence he can work with young players.

Karl Taylor, head coach, Milwaukee Admirals

The AHL’s 2019-20 coach of the year, Taylor spent last season as a consultant for the Wolves when the Admirals opted out of the 2020-21 season. This year, he’s back behind the bench in Milwaukee and has the Admirals right back in the playoffs. One thing of note with Taylor: Milwaukee’s power play has been excellent in each of his last two seasons, clocking in at 25.2 percent in his 2019-20 season and 23.6 percent this year.

David Carle, head coach, Denver University

Denver won the 2022 NCAA Championship, defeating two very different teams in the Frozen Four to claim the title. First, they knocked out a talent-laden Michigan team (that included four of the top five picks in the 2021 NHL draft) by taking away their offensive chances in a 3-2 win, outshooting the explosive Wolverines 33-21. Then, they hung five goals on one of the nation’s best defensive teams, Minnesota State — and its Hobey Baker winning goalie Dryden McKay — to win the national championship.

The Red Wings should be very familiar with Carle, as three Detroit prospects were on that championship-winning squad. He’s just 32 years old, but he’s already been to two Frozen Fours in four years as a head coach, plus two more as an assistant. His resume screams future NHL bench boss. The question is when.

Roger Rönnberg, head coach, Frölunda (SHL)

The Red Wings love drafting from Frölunda, the Swedish club from which Detroit has plucked Lucas Raymond, Simon Edvinsson, Elmer Söderblom and more in recent years. Could they lure away its coach, who has led the club to two Swedish championships and the European Champions League four times? NHL teams historically have not hired many coaches out of Europe. But considering how many Swedes, in particular, Detroit has drafted in recent years, the idea of bringing in a coach who speaks their native language (as well as English), could be fascinating. Before coaching Frölunda, he led Sweden to World Junior gold, and his former players speak highly of him.

“Kind of has that charm between being able to let loose around his players, but also demand a lot when it’s game time,” said Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog, who played for Rönnberg at the 2010-11 World Juniors.

Rikard Grönborg, head coach, ZSC Lions (NLA)

Grönborg, who played college hockey at St. Cloud State and coached the U.S. for several years in the mid-1990s and early 2000s, spent nearly a decade coaching Sweden’s national team at various levels from U18 to U20 to the World Championship and even the Olympics. Now, he coaches Zurich in the Swiss National League, where he has the Lions set for a championship-round Game 7 on Sunday. He reportedly interviewed with the Sabres in 2021 and was the head coach of Sweden’s 2016 World Cup team — for which Red Wings Vice President of Hockey Operations Nicklas Lidstrom was an advisor.

Fedorov and Larionov would be nice sentimental picks but I'm not sure if they have the resumes for the job yet even compared to the other "inexperienced" coaches here

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

lambert is interesting, but would that mean we'd have to play like the islanders?  i'd rather get more talent and open it up.

My hope is that he would be his own coach as the head boss and adapt what he's learned from his defensive-minded bosses and apply that to fit what the Wings need.  But I do agree I wouldn't want to play like the Islanders.

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

sounds like everybody loves Jimmy Rutherford, but he's a little cheap....

I don't know what kind of personal changes they made when Boudreau got there but the turn in the record was pretty dramatic. 

do we want bruce boudreau?  is he a guy who comes in and fixes messes by instilling proper habits?  ot a burnout guy who rubs people the wrong way for instant success, but in the end destroys a team's chemistry?

i dont know enough to know.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, buddha said:

do we want bruce boudreau?  is he a guy who comes in and fixes messes by instilling proper habits?  ot a burnout guy who rubs people the wrong way for instant success, but in the end destroys a team's chemistry?

i dont know enough to know.

Bruce Boudreau is the guy you bring in when your team is ready to win but isn't getting over the hump.  Like a Billy Martin-type.  He'll make you better right away, but by the end of the year 2, everyone will be fried.   Wings aren't there yet.  Wings still need a teacher, but probably one with a not-so-pleasant disposition at times.  A red-ass.   A Babcock type with out the personal assholery.  Those guys aren't easy to find.    I would still say Lane Lambert is the favorite because of a past close relationship with Yzerman, but maybe Yzerman doesn't want to eventually fire a close friend.   Maybe Rick Tocchet.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Bruce Boudreau is the guy you bring in when your team is ready to win but isn't getting over the hump.  Like a Billy Martin-type.  He'll make you better right away, but by the end of the year 2, everyone will be fried.   Wings aren't there yet.  Wings still need a teacher, but probably one with a not-so-pleasant disposition at times.  A red-ass.   A Babcock type with out the personal assholery.  Those guys aren't easy to find.    I would still say Lane Lambert is the favorite because of a past close relationship with Yzerman, but maybe Yzerman doesn't want to eventually fire a close friend.   Maybe Rick Tocchet.  

In that long presser, Yzerman kept coming back to the difficulty hiring someone he didn’t know or hadn’t worked with before. If that’s his preference then having to eventually fire a friend may be his fate. 

I think his time with Team Canada shows there's very few people he doesn't know.  I'm excited for the pick and have trust that he'll do the right thing.  It will be a guy most "hockeytown" fans have never heard of but real hockey fans will know.

No love for Gerard Gallant? Dude took an expansion team to a Stanley Cup and also took an above average Panthers team to first in the division, granted they were bounced early in the playoffs. Who cares if he's the Rangers head coach, trade for him out when they get bounced.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad