5/15 1:40 O's @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t see it.  We still have Daz, Baddoo and Greene in the wings.

Even with them, there's a good argument to adding in the outfield this upcoming offseason (particularly if Grossman walks), but as far as a trade, that seems like it would be a waste.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Even with them, there's a good argument to adding in the outfield this upcoming offseason (particularly if Grossman walks), but as far as a trade, that seems like it would be a waste.

Yes—agree that we will likely need to replace Grossman.  I’ll assume Meadows and Greene have the other two spots.  Internal candidates would be Hill, Daz and Baddoo, so this season is critical for them.

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes—agree that we will likely need to replace Grossman.  I’ll assume Meadows and Greene have the other two spots.  Internal candidates would be Hill, Daz and Baddoo, so this season is critical for them.

I didn't foresee Baddoo crashing so badly. Maybe a slump but not a season long slump. I'm assuming he'll be back.

17 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

We need an outfielder. 

Kody can play both positions that Austin Meadows can, and as an added benefit can man first base (where Tork has struggled a good amount recently). The team seems content with Hill/Willi in CF, and on the outs with Cameron.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, even though the consensus seems to be on Cameron coming up.

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Kody can play both positions that Austin Meadows can, and as an added benefit can man first base (where Tork has struggled a good amount recently). The team seems content with Hill/Willi in CF, and on the outs with Cameron.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, even though the consensus seems to be on Cameron coming up.

need back list in order

1st set: Manning, Meadows, Reyes

2nd set: Greene, Pineda.

Can only hope or matter less set: Mize, Alexander, Cisnero, Funk

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

need back list in order

1st set: Manning, Meadows, Reyes

2nd set: Greene, Pineda.

Can only hope or matter less set: Mize, Alexander, Cisnero, Funk

Is Pineda in the second set? I don't know much about hand fractures or the grade of fracture he had, but it makes me nervous that it's his throwing hand.

Out of all the injuries they've had since the season started, his is low-key one of the worst.... the Tigers have thus far been able to avoid the trap of being stuck with bullpen days and have been able to keep their bullpen relatively fresh, but this will test that.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is Pineda in the second set? I don't know much about hand fractures or the grade of fracture he had, but it makes me nervous that it's his throwing hand.

2nd set because I don't see him being less than a month. I also should have added Kreidler. Of course that need depends a lot on whether Candelario starts earning his keep more consistently. Greene could surprise and be here by the 2nd week in June....

EDIT: Candelario is 754OPS since May 1, so I guess he is coming back some, but the glove??

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

2nd set because I don't see him being less than a month. I also should have added Kreidler. Of course that need depends a lot on whether Candelario starts earning his keep more consistently. Greene could surprise and be here by the 2nd week in June....

EDIT: Candelario is 754OPS since May 1, so I guess he is coming back some, but the glove??

I guess my question comment was more about when would be a realistic time frame to get Pineda back... just the description of the injury and where it occurred makes me think third set, but I'm not an MD. I just think he occupies a critical role in the rotation and, without him, we are kinda hoping that the other two young'uns can eat innings like he can. 

Candy has been better with the bat for sure, but the defensive lapses aren't helping to make the case that he's a long term solution at the moment.

Edited by mtutiger

57 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I thought Clemens was a 2nd baseman who had a few games at 1st base. I didn't know he had any outfield experience. 

53 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I thought Clemens was a 2nd baseman who had a few games at 1st base. I didn't know he had any outfield experience. 

He's been getting utility sort of play since last year.

Doesn't matter, as it appears that Daz is gonna be the callup for the OF spot.

39 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He's been getting utility sort of play since last year.

Doesn't matter, as it appears that Daz is gonna be the callup for the OF spot.

I see the point of having a real outfielder. With all of the young pitchers we'll have going, we need the best defense we can get. But I do think we should bring Clemens up for the 2nd base job and see if he can handle it. Shop Schoop at the trade deadline. JMO...

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Schoop has hit in 8 of his last 10 games but even that is a bare minimum 8/32. Could be evidence he's coming around, or it could just be evidence that he's gonna plateau at <700 OPS.

We can't have a team full of players who take the first 6 weeks off every year. Clemens is past the "prospect" age and we need to see if he's an answer, long term. All of these young players lost a critical year of development because of the pandemic.