2022 NCAA Football Thread

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Apparently UCal did not want to see the two schools in different conferences but UCLA was in such dire need of more $$ they had no choice but the let UCLA make the initial move.

Now they are going to have to find a away to split to differenct conferences for revenue vs non-revenue sports. Track and swim programs (etc) can't afford to fly cross county for meets, not to mention a lot those athletes really are students and don't need the extra time committment. But what will probably happen instead is that  more non-revenue sports will end up being downgraded to club status.

So once all of the "big" schools get organized, what happens with conferences like the MAC?  Will their payday games vs the "big" schools exist anymore?

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm not yet convinced that the B1G doesn't want Stanford and Cal to some extent. They check a lot of boxes for the conference, but I think they want them to join on the B1G's terms money-wise. I think they could be waiting to offer Stanford and Cal a really bad deal that they can't refuse. If UW and Oregon have to wait until 2030 for a full share, Stanford and Cal might have to wait until 2050, but they'd still snatch up the opportunity to avoid being left without a raft.

I could also see them leveraging Stanford with Notre Dame. Coming to ND with a package like offering to add them along with Stanford, Cal, and Miami. If you have to, throw out a veiled threat of a ten-team conference schedule. As these conferences continue to expand, you would think schools will be less incentivized to play ND on ND's terms. Not to mention they'll make more money in the B1G, it's all about pride at this point.

nd has a contract with the acc too.  theyre bound by that to some respect.

also, they'll join when nbc tells them to join.  now they dont need to because they have a path to the playoff and nbc wants to add big ten teams to their schedule.  the big ten isnt going to say no to their new partner who is paying them a billion a year.

and nd could always go to the sec.

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

So once all of the "big" schools get organized, what happens with conferences like the MAC?  Will their payday games vs the "big" schools exist anymore?

Who knows. To me, it seems like the only possible outcome in the end is a 30-36 team super league under a whole new constitution and *everybody* else ends up dropping virtually to non-revenue status. Looking at it globally, I think it's inescapable that high cost/high revenue programs will only be able to exist in the same kinds of markets that pro-sports teams today do, and that is a pretty limited number of markets around the country. Certainly nothing like the current number of FCS teams. I can see maybe a few exceptions of teams with no local market but national brands like ND, Penn State and LSU, but not enough to keep anything like the current system alive.

But again, Congress is the wild card. They could - at any time - end NIL, make college athletes non-employees, recreate the system any way they like.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Who knows. To me, it seems like the only possible outcome in the end is a 30-36 team super league under a whole new constitution and *everybody* else ends up dropping virtually to non-revenue status. Looking at it globally, I think it's inescapable that high cost/high revenue programs will only be able to exist in the same kinds of markets that pro-sports teams today do, and that is a pretty limited number of markets around the country. Certainly nothing like the current number of FCS teams. I can see maybe a few exceptions of teams with no local market but national brands like ND, Penn State and LSU, but not enough to keep anything like the current system alive.

But again, Congress is the wild card. They could - at any time - end NIL, make college athletes non-employees, recreate the system any way they like.

Oh boy, Congress certainly is a wild card, ain’t it?

I think it's time to break up College Football into tiers.  Take 24 programs, compile stats or winning % on a 5 year rotating basis to pick those 24 teams - Break them into 2 divisions.  Each team gets 2 of their normal rivalry games protected, but the rest of the schedule is against those other 24 teams. 

The rest of Division 1 is put into traditional conferences, and fill in the bowl schedule.