2022 NCAA Football Thread

Technically, it’s not the school paying players.  It’s the collectives made up of alumni and boosters.  There’s supposed to be a glass wall that separates the athletic departments but I doubt it is being followed.    

It does offer some excellent deniability for someone like Jimbo Fisher saying they don’t pay recruits or Jim Harbaugh saying Michigan doesn’t focus on NIL money.   They are both technically correct but it doesn’t mean deals are getting done on their behalf without direct program involvement.   

Edited by Hongbit

USC has run a masterclass on how to work the Portal/NIL game this off-season.    They used the big money to attract marquee national transfers like QB Caleb Williams, WR’ Jordan Addison,  Mario Williams, and S Bryson Shaw.    

Where they really have done the real damage is using smaller money to steal quality players from the other teams in the Pac-12.    They got Oregon and Stanford’s starting RB,  the best WR and CB from both Washington and Colorado, starting MLB from Arizona State, promising young LB from Utah.  They are getting better while making teams on their schedule worse.   SC was dead in the water without a coach and probably no better than 6th in the Pac-12 in December.    Now, it looks like they will start the season ranked somewhere in the top 15 nationally and probably a popular sneaky pick to make the playoff.    

Thank you legalized pay to play. 

Edited by Hongbit

On 6/3/2022 at 4:16 PM, buddha said:

u$c is doing is right.

michigan - as usual - is sitting around wringing its hands and pretending that its above "pay for play".  and as a result, they are falling behind again.

even notre dame is doing it!  

ND is doing it, or ND is doing it out in the open?  Let’s not kid ourselves.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:16 PM, buddha said:

u$c is doing is right.

michigan - as usual - is sitting around wringing its hands and pretending that its above "pay for play".  and as a result, they are falling behind again.

even notre dame is doing it!  

Michigan is frozen until they have a new President in place. Which is probably no different from where they would have been if Schlissel were still there as I never got the impression he was much a fan of major college sports at his institution.  

Actually rather alarming how long the search is taking. Hope that doesn't imply a lot of people have turned them down, but heck, I'd be leary of working for a board run by a couple of ambulance chasers too.

so just thinking about other possible professionalization fallout. How long before some school tries to get paid football players exempted from Title IX compliance calculations so they can cut a bunch of non-revenue women's varsity sports?

Edited by gehringer_2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I did not see this one coming.   Wow.

The new Pac-12 commissioner knew he was signing up for a tough job.  It just got tougher.

Lot of wheels turning. Hard to see this as anything but an indication that there isn't enough money, both member and NIL wise, available to PAC12 schools outside ScoCal for the conference to be where USC/UCLA want to keep playing. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lot of wheels turning. Hard to see this as anything but an indication that there isn't enough money, both member and NIL wise, available to PAC12 schools outside ScoCal for the conference to be where USC/UCLA want to keep playing. 

and you laughed at me when i said the big ten should do this.  lol.

$$$$$$$$$ rules all.  the dominoes are falling and you dont want to get left behind.  there will eventually be two conferences and everyone else will be playing for the scraps left by the sec and the big ten.

florida state and miami to the sec.  maybe arizona?

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

and you laughed at me when i said the big ten should do this

could be, though I thought I laughed more at the idea of merger because too many of the other  Pac-12 teams were already too weak.

The question is how/when will the BigTen jettison their weak sisters? IIRC the bylaws make it a lot easier to get in than to be put out.

BTW - Have you looked at UM's '23 early recruiting results? Don't.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This is nutso.  I have heard inklings that there is a move to kick the NCAA to the curb and have the schools play outside those rules. 

I think that is also likely. Once Buddha's super-conferences get organized they will jettison themselves from the NCAA. I think in the end you have to separate revenue and amateur collegiate sports anyway. It makes zero sense to try to manage the fencing team and the football under the same org. Pro's on one side, amateurs on the other.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

could be, though I thought I laughed more at the idea of merger because too many of the other  Pac-12 teams were already too weak.

The question is how/when will the BigTen jettison their weak sisters? IIRC the bylaws make it a lot easier to get in than to be put out.

BTW - Have you looked at UM's '23 early recruiting results? Don't.

the recruiting issues are 90% nil and 10% staff changeover.  if um doesnt get off its ass on nil, its fucked.  were already seeing the results.  honestly, they made a wakeup call like this to get over the stick up their ass about rules.

the big ten wont get rid of anyone.  they will add, add, and add some more.  they'll get to 20-24 and so will the sec.  those conferences will strike a deal with the others to give them some cash they can disperse.  some will drop football altogether, some will continue to compete at a lower level.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think that is also likely. Once Buddha's super-conferences get organized they will jettison themselves from the NCAA. I think in the end you have to separate revenue and amateur collegiate sports anyway. It makes zero sense to try to manage the fencing team and the football under the same org. Pro's on one side, amateurs on the other.

that's also a possibility.

then snooty holier-than-thou schools like michigan and notre dame will have decisions to make.  i know notre dame will jettison its supposed morals to win.  i suspect michigan eventually will too.