2022 NCAA Football Thread

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I heard late last week a theory about watching for NBC to get media rights to the Big Ten.  If that happens, Notre Dame is likely in the conference at that point.

I could see this happening. In conferences of 20-24 teams, you're going to have some overlapping marquee matchups. The NFL has their mega-deal with FOX, but they also have their deal for MNF with Disney, SNF with NBC, and TNF with Amazon, not to mention NFL Network. Right now, B1G has their mega-deal with FOX and a secondary with ESPN, but that's it.

In the days of six games on a Saturday, you could taper the games with Fox taking lead and ESPN taking secondary, with B1G Network just taking the non-conference games or the Illinois/Rutgers type games. As we move to 10-12 B1G games on a Saturday, you could see NBC entering the conference with some sort of "game of the week" agreement that would leave ND without a paddle.

Notre Dame likely won't be left with a choice at the end of this. That might be tomorrow, might be five years, and might be ten, but when the dust settles, Notre Dame will find themselves independently irrelevant if they dig their heels in.

In a 20-24 team conference, with Stanford, Cal, USC, Michigan, MSU, Ohio State, and so on, there will likely be a 9-10 team conference schedule that is more difficult than the conference schedules of past. Those schools will have no incentive whatsoever to schedule a non-conference game against Notre Dame while their conference partners schedule Central Michigan, Connecticut, or Hawaii.

Notre Dame would be left with the rest, to schedule games against TCU, West Virginia, Pitt, and Iowa State, hoping to be able to go 12-0 and not find themselves shut out of the CFP anyway after a pair of thrilling B1G and SEC Championship games.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Seriously, they've  had chance after chance after chance to be part of this.   They make perfect sense geographically.  They make perfect sense academically,  They make perfect sense rivalry-wise.     But no, they're soooooooooooo special.   Well fine, go be special somewhere else.         

Oh, and I know he's gone (and he'll bomb at LSU), but Brian Kelly killed a kid.      Have fun playing whomever you're playing.  

UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, Washington, Utah, Oregon and probably a team or two from Texas are coming

Big Ten East
Maryland-Rutgers-Penn State-Pitt-Ohio State-Michigan-Michigan State-Indiana-Purdue-Wisconsin-Northwestern-Illinois

Big Ten West

USC-UCLA-Oregon-Washington-Utah-Stanford-Cal-Texas Tech-Baylor-Iowa-Nebraska-Minnesota

Something like that.    

texas tech and baylor are never coming to the big ten.  utah is never coming to the big ten.

washington and oregon actually bring little to the conference money wise, but have the same academic profile (washington does, at least) and bring the nike money school.

virginia is a possibility for the dc market.  stanford and maybe cal because of nd and silicon valley.  

but nd is the prized pig.  once it goes - if it goes - the rest of the dominoes will fall.  big ten (and really, the big ten's media money men) will wait to see if they can get the big fish before moving again, imo.

texas tech....lol.  mcs, day drinking is not a good thing!

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

There’s been some political saber rattling in California that UCLA made this move without consulting the politicians that think they run the state universities.   Even some talk, they may try to fight UCLA from making the move but end of the day they have no other method to make up this huge budget deficit.  If anything the pols will try to use UCLA as leverage to take Cal along so Berkeley pay off the bill for the huge renovations to a stadium that nobody still goes to.  

But that’s the rub isn’t? The top schools can’t cash in if they can’t dump the school’s that don’t pull ratings. The whole point is to cut the pie into fewer, bigger pieces. I’m still waiting to see what mechanism the top 40 are going to come up with to jettison the bottom 90. To me that’s the big dog that hasn’t barked yet. 

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I could see this happening. In conferences of 20-24 teams, you're going to have some overlapping marquee matchups. The NFL has their mega-deal with FOX, but they also have their deal for MNF with Disney, SNF with NBC, and TNF with Amazon, not to mention NFL Network. Right now, B1G has their mega-deal with FOX and a secondary with ESPN, but that's it.

In the days of six games on a Saturday, you could taper the games with Fox taking lead and ESPN taking secondary, with B1G Network just taking the non-conference games or the Illinois/Rutgers type games. As we move to 10-12 B1G games on a Saturday, you could see NBC entering the conference with some sort of "game of the week" agreement that would leave ND without a paddle.

Oh, I think that ND to the B10 would already be a done deal if NBC gets a piece of the B10 broadcasts.

11 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So my beloved Irish are #2 in 2023 recruiting class. I find that pretty amazing with a rookie coach and still independent. How can Michigan come in at #37 with a program that’s had Harbaugh 8 years into his run? 🤨

A2ACC009-2A88-4AA7-86B4-EDD85DA2DB7D.png

cause notre dame is paying really well right now.

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

True, but so has Michigan.

no theyre not.  that's the problem and its why everyone on this thread has been bitching about them for months.

michigan is being a slave to the "rules" on nil.  everyone else realizes there really are no rules and have been using nil to their advantage.  including notre dame.  michigan has not.

its why michigan is falling behind and will continue to fall behind until they get with the new normal in "college" football.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

no theyre not.  that's the problem and its why everyone on this thread has been bitching about them for months.

michigan is being a slave to the "rules" on nil.  everyone else realizes there really are no rules and have been using nil to their advantage.  including notre dame.  michigan has not.

its why michigan is falling behind and will continue to fall behind until they get with the new normal in "college" football.

So Michigan now falls into the "Poverty" category. I kid, I kid.....

2 hours ago, buddha said:

so many ways this can turn depending on what each of the actors believes. You have Harbaugh, Manuel, Ono, and possibly individual regents who may be interested in meddling.

Does Harbaugh want to be the martyr for the old traditions and not change until his program fails and he is fired? Will Ono bring some leadership from the president's office so the program gets some clarity on what the institution will and won't support? Will the athletic dept end up caught between and Admin and a block of regents that are either more or less conservative than one another?

Stayed tuned for the latest installment of academic sports politics Michigan style.

• Haha 1

this is why the long presidential search, which wasn't that big an issue for the 'U' as a whole since Coleman was willing to be a willing and able caretaker, has still really hammered the school on the fast moving conference and NIL stuff. Mary Sue was not going to make those kinds of decisions as an interim, and Ono isn't even officially on-boarded till October. Assuming sports may be something less than the very 1st thing he needs to address, seems MI is inevitably going to fall even further behind before they can start catching up. 

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so many ways this can turn depending on what each of the actors believes. You have Harbaugh, Manuel, Ono, and possibly individual regents who may be interested in meddling.

Does Harbaugh want to be the martyr for the old traditions and not change until his program fails and he is fired? Will Ono bring some leadership from the president's office so the program gets some clarity on what the institution will and won't support? Will the athletic dept end up caught between and Admin and a block of regents that are either more or less conservative than one another?

Stayed tuned for the latest installment of academic sports politics Michigan style.

the word is that harbaugh is among the people who dont want to do the new nil pay for play universe.

which, if true, is going to get him fired in three years when michigan is losing to ohio state 80-0 and michigan state 45-3.

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

the word is that harbaugh is among the people who dont want to do the new nil pay for play universe.

which, if true, is going to get him fired in three years when michigan is losing to ohio state 80-0 and michigan state 45-3.

Who knows where this will shake out. Harbaugh is certainly not the only person in sports in the B10 who probably doesn't like the direction things are going, but I can't see there are anywhere near enough of those people to force the conference (or even some splinter of it) to move in a different direction - esp after the UCLA/USC announcement demonstrating that conference management is in full speed ahead into the brave new world mode.

And I don't think I'm going to hold my breath waiting for MI to apply for membership to play in the Ivy league!

I think the one big factor which has yet to play out, and which I would think is still vitally important to the schools, is that the one thing they fear most - esp MI, is loss of control - specifically that athletic depts, while great for PR, can also potentially produce huge headaches and liabilities when things go wrong. I tend to think that at some point the schools will get together and attempt to re-establish control over NIL in some fashion that walks back some of what the courts have done, but what form that takes remains unknown. Something like a collective bargaining bargaining agreement would be a method where the player's individual NIL rights would again be made subject to a rules based order that would still pass legal scrutiny.

Edited by gehringer_2

They way that NIL currently works it’s very possible for a group of boosters to start their own collective outside of the university.   A group of rich UM alums could start their own program right now and start paying players regardless of what the university says.  I believe something like this is already in motion at UM but I don’t know how deep it goes.  A bunch of the Texas schools have had success with this type of model but they do it in conjunction with the school.    NIL has a bigger impact on recruiting though if it can be done in conjunction with the program and with athletic department involvement.

Edited by Hongbit

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So my beloved Irish are #2 in 2023 recruiting class. I find that pretty amazing with a rookie coach and still independent. How can Michigan come in at #37 with a program that’s had Harbaugh 8 years into his run? 🤨

A2ACC009-2A88-4AA7-86B4-EDD85DA2DB7D.png

Every commit is a soft verbal until signing day in December.  

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They way that NIL currently works it’s very possible for a group of boosters to start their own collective outside of the university.   A group of rich UM alums could start their own program right now and start paying players regardless of what the university says.

right - and this is exactly the part that I believe most university admins will  ultimately find unacceptable. I think it's a pretty sure bet they are going to try to do something to get around it - it's just totally unknown what strategies may emerge.

Edited by gehringer_2

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Who knows where this will shake out. Harbaugh is certainly not the only person in sports in the B10 who probably doesn't like the direction things are going, but I can't see there are anywhere near enough of those people to force the conference (or even some splinter of it) to move in a different direction - esp after the UCLA/USC announcement demonstrating that conference management is in full speed ahead into the brave new world mode.

And I don't think I'm going to hold my breath waiting for MI to apply for membership to play in the Ivy league!

I think the one big factor which has yet to play out, and which I would think is still vitally important to the schools, is that the one thing they fear most - esp MI, is loss of control - specifically that athletic depts, while great for PR, can also potentially produce huge headaches and liabilities when things go wrong. I tend to think that at some point the schools will get together and attempt to re-establish control over NIL in some fashion that walks back some of what the courts have done, but what form that takes remains unknown. Something like a collective bargaining bargaining agreement would be a method where the player's individual NIL rights would again be made subject to a rules based order that would still pass legal scrutiny.

it will be collective bargaining.

once we get past the charade that these guys are anything more than minor league football players.

its kind of sad in a way.  the old way really is dead.  when was the last time you can remember a player getting suspended for academics?  the charade is truly up.

maybe it will involve the nfl actually having to pay its minor league players in the future?

49 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agreed, I was just amazed after Bobby Boucher Jr. left for the Burbon Bowl that ND would have a sinking ship scenario. 

I like Freeman and he’s a great recruiter but he’s got to win quick to keep the job at ND,   Not much leeway when you are 36 year old black Ohio St. alum in your first ever HC gig.  The AD essentially let the players pick the coach and that typically turns out poorly.   

14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I like Freeman and he’s a great recruiter but he’s got to win quick to keep the job at ND,   Not much leeway when you are 36 year old black Ohio St. alum in your first ever HC gig.  The AD essentially let the players pick the coach and that typically turns out poorly.   

Who’s idea was it to play Ohio state week 1? The rest of the  Big10 play charity games the first 3 weeks of the season.

20 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Who’s idea was it to play Ohio state week 1? The rest of the  Big10 play charity games the first 3 weeks of the season.

BYU, Clemson, and SC on the schedule makes it brutal.   BC and UNC are wins but not total pushovers.   Not the ideal schedule for a team without an established QB and lots of inexperienced talent on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1