2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the big ten needs to tell notre dame (and nbc) that theyre not playing notre dame unless they join the big ten.  see how many viewers nd-duke gets on a saturday night.

Yep. Stop placating them. The B1G is enabling ND's independence by scheduling with them. Announce that B1G is moving to a 10-team conference schedule, along with an SEC partnership for one game per year. No competitive B1G team will take their one non-conference game that can be a cupcake and schedule ND. ND will be left with table scraps and would join the B1G within two years, when their most competitive game on the schedule is against Miami.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just don't have an excitement for college football this year.      Let's just call it Minor League Football.    

I can understand what you are saying about not having any excitement.  I ignored OSU during Urban Meyer's last season, and the boycott kind of carried over to most college football content.

7 hours ago, casimir said:

I can understand what you are saying about not having any excitement.  I ignored OSU during Urban Meyer's last season, and the boycott kind of carried over to most college football content.

I just feel that it's all about money.     Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see Michigan won the Big Ten last year because anything short of an Indy appearance should have meant Harbaugh's job.      But the whole money angle is so overwhelming.   I know there never was an innocence to it, but it's just so over the top now that it's something to watch, but I'm not doing any daily countdown in anticipation.      If the conferences and schools are only going to make money-based decisions then they players should get paid, but it's just too much too fast and it's just ugly to me.    I'll watch on September 3rd, but my day won't be planned around it like it used to.   Maybe that just happens when you get older, but its just too many things. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know there never was an innocence to it, but it's just so over the top now

I wouldn't so much call it innocence, but there has been a big shift in primary market for college football from students on campus to the non-student off campus ticket buyer and TV viewer. For instance, before Bo got to UM, the average game attendance was more than 50% student body and locals. When football exploded and they started to actual sell - out the stadium, it was suddenly a different mix, with a shift to a higher priced ticket holder and the TV audience. As that trend has continued decade by decade, the student body has sensed they are no longer regarded as a valued audience and their participation has fallen off, which contributes to the shift in the 'feel' of the competition to one closer to that of pro sports.

That big money ticket holder living in the Detroit area is going to a have a fun time just getting to the Big House this year.  The orange cone brigade has done an amazing job of fucking everyone.   275/14 transition and 96 W are both still a construction mess with no sign of letting up soon.  

Student bodies at most schools see it as a party event more than a football game.    Even at Bama, it’s not uncommon to see students come late and leave early.  College girls care more about the party than the spectacle of college football and even sports addicted college guys still care more about where the girls are going to be than anything else.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Student bodies at most schools see it as a party event more than a football game.    Even at Bama, it’s not uncommon to see students come late and leave early.  College girls care more about the party than the spectacle of college football and even sports addicted college guys still care more about where the girls are going to be than anything else.  

Can’t blame those guys. You have a lifetime to watch Michigan football. But only have a few years when there  are hot coeds everywhere you turn and you actually have a chance with them. 

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

That big money ticket holder living in the Detroit area is going to a have a fun time just getting to the Big House this year.  The orange cone brigade has done an amazing job of fucking everyone.   275/14 transition and 96 W are both still a construction mess with no sign of letting up soon.  

If you have driven anywhere this Summer in the United States you can see the Infrastructure spending is off the charts.   There was a lot of pent up demand to actually have infrastructure spending.

Edited by romad1

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

If you have driven anywhere this Summer in the United States you can see the Infrastructure spending is off the charts.   There was a lot of pent up demand to actually have infrastructure spending.

There are a few spots here where they have thoughtlessly done construction on the main route, alternate route, and surface streets at the same time.   It’s all about the project without a care in the world about actual people and their inconvenience.   

Edited by Hongbit

There are a few spots here where they have thoughtlessly done construction on the main route, alternate route, and surface streets at the same time.   It’s all about the project without a care in the world about actual people and their inconvenience.   

good project management requires stakeholders are evaluated and their concerns are mitigated to the extent that they can be .   However…dat $  must get spent!

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

eventually they will unionize.

This is why it's such a CF right now. NIL doesn't create any framework between the Athletes and the schools, it just exists out in left field, so none of what needs to be defined systemically was helped to be defined at all by the NIL rulings.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is why it's such a CF right now. NIL doesn't create any framework between the Athletes and the schools, it just exists out in left field, so none of what needs to be defined systemically was helped to be defined at all by the NIL rulings.

right now is a joke.  they need to unionize but....who will be the organization that enforces the cba?  who will they bargain with?  the ncaa?  lol.

the big schools will need to break off from the ncaa and form their own working group with its own central authority.

however, where does that leave the remaining sports?  are the swim team going to unionize too?  womens handball?  

the only other sport that makes any money is men's college basketball.  do they unionize?

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

legally, how do you say that men's football players are employees but women soccer players arent?

they all will be.

Maybe the one way you could maintain some sports as truly amateur would be to stop charging for tickets for 'non-revenue' sports. I doubt it would make much difference to the overall economics anyway and would at least create a bright line where you could say "this athlete plays for free and that one doesn't" Of course, would that mean you couldn't televise a B10 swim meet either? Who knows!

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

right now is a joke.  they need to unionize but....who will be the organization that enforces the cba?  who will they bargain with?  the ncaa?  lol.

the big schools will need to break off from the ncaa and form their own working group with its own central authority.

however, where does that leave the remaining sports?  are the swim team going to unionize too?  womens handball?  

the only other sport that makes any money is men's college basketball.  do they unionize?

All good points.

But let’s focus on team handball.  Damnit, that’s good stuff.  The Olympics need to show that more often.  When everything was shut down for COVID, someone was broadcasting some 2019 European tournaments, both mens and womens.  That’s a fun sport to watch.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I just feel that it's all about money.     Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see Michigan won the Big Ten last year because anything short of an Indy appearance should have meant Harbaugh's job.      But the whole money angle is so overwhelming.   I know there never was an innocence to it, but it's just so over the top now that it's something to watch, but I'm not doing any daily countdown in anticipation.      If the conferences and schools are only going to make money-based decisions then they players should get paid, but it's just too much too fast and it's just ugly to me.    I'll watch on September 3rd, but my day won't be planned around it like it used to.   Maybe that just happens when you get older, but its just too many things. 

The money angle bothers me too.  I don't disagree that when it comes the amount of money that the players generate for the universities, it makes sense that they can use their NIL to get cash - but the amounts are just insane.  They should have been capped - & would have been if the NCAA had the brass kehones to elect a commissioner to oversee the sport. 

I'm still not a fan of the playoffs are done.  I miss the days when making the Rose Bowl was a big deal.

I am fan of the new elitist world of college football where those with the resources can go from a 4-8 season to buying themselves a top head coach, top QB, an entire WR room including last years Belitnikoff award winner,  2 of the top returning RB’s in their conference from other teams roster, and still have enough left over to buy themselves top HS recruits for next year to keep the shelf full.    This new world is fantastic and just what this fan needed. 

Edited by Hongbit

40 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Certainly possible but too early to tell.  Ultimately, I think ESPN will decide their fate.  If they sign them up to a decent deal to replace losing B1G football and basketball, it may be enough to keep everyone else and possibly expand a few western schools from the MWC. 

This sure feels like a game of Duck, Duck, Goose between the PAC/B12/ACC.   There are 2 chairs left and someone is going to be on the outside.  First 2 to join together will leave the last for dead.  Not sure why any are are risking being the one without a chair.   Actually, I do. Ego and money.  

Certainly possible but too early to tell.  Ultimately, I think ESPN will decide their fate.  If they sign them up to a decent deal to replace losing B1G football and basketball, it may be enough to keep everyone else and possibly expand a few western schools from the MWC. 

This sure feels like a game of Duck, Duck, Goose between the PAC/B12/ACC.   There are 2 chairs left and someone is going to be on the outside.  First 2 to join together will leave the last for dead.  Not sure why any are are risking being the one without a chair.   Actually, I do. Ego and money.  

there are about 50 'dead man walking' football programs out there just waiting to be told they are being left out.