2022 NCAA Football Thread

sports media podcast: there is an automatic escalator clause in the big ten tv contract if they get notre dame.  the contract automatically increases by a predetermined percentage if they get the irish.

there is no escalator clause for any other team.  if the big ten adds any other teams, they will have a "good faith conversation" about increasing the contract amount.

its all about the irish.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Exactly how many times does ND have to say no before people get the hint?  At this point it has just become embarrassing.  

it wont be about the big ten asking, it will be about nbc/peacock/fox telling.

unless the irish can swing another tv deal with another provider.  does espn want them to play in the sec and will give them more money?  does amazon or apple want to use the irish as their entry into college football?  do the irish want to be only on streaming?

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

it wont be about the big ten asking, it will be about nbc/peacock/fox telling.

unless the irish can swing another tv deal with another provider.  does espn want them to play in the sec and will give them more money?  does amazon or apple want to use the irish as their entry into college football?  do the irish want to be only on streaming?

The Irish are just like everybody else.  They want what's best for them.  They'll pretend otherwise, but everybody knows the drill.

Money is green.  Shamrocks are green.

I’m sure it’s happened before, and I’m not judging NIL or what happened before or under the table or out in the open or any of that.  It just struck me that some guys are going to make more money as an “amateur” than they will as an active (to some extent) pro, and that amateur/pro thing amuses me.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Since these guys can make money now.  Will they start to tax scholarships?  

I could see a case for taxing them if you take NIL money.

Isn’t the NIL income?  Isn’t income taxable in the good ol’ USA?

Edited by casimir

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Isn’t the NIL income?  Isn’t income taxable in the good ol’ USA?

Yup. Of course if the player is getting high levels of NIL, whether his tuition becomes taxable is going to be small potatoes to his 1040 bottom line anyway. AFAIK, the tax exempt status of a tuition scholarship does not depend on your income. Now if your grant contains something like a stipend for work performed, like what a teaching fellow receives, that part is already taxable as a TA is an employee as well as a student just as NIL will be.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Incredibly overdue in my opinion. This should *finally* add a competitive nature to the sport that it desperately needed.

Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State’s fun was driving fans away from the sport, not towards it.

So, 6 highest ranked conference champions and the 6 highest ranked teams of the remaining 124 teams.  Essentially it’s the top 10 teams and a couple others that might not be in the top 12.  It stands to reason that one of the 6 highest ranked conference championships are outside of the top 12.  Heck, that 1 or 2 might go up to 3, maybe 4?

Is it a reracked bracket after the first round?  If 12 beats 5, do they still play 4?  I think they should use the NFL model of best plays worst, next best plays next worst, next next best plays next next worst, etc.

Edited by casimir