2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No it's not.  Look at how many scumbags there are in LEADERSHIP positions.   Including our own school  Bo knew a predator was around and not only did nothing, but used the leverage to get him to do whatever he wanted. 

I don't doubt there are scumbags in leadership positions, of course there are. When their scumbaggery goes public in today's day and age - particularly when it results in real-life consequences, like the death of a child (young adult), I think that we see that cost them their job more often than not... as it should!! Joe Paterno got driven out of his position and larger-than-life stature, and his statute taken down, despite ridiculous riots and rallies on their campus. Frankly, I would not have been upset to see Penn State get the "death penalty" or be removed from the Big Ten after that debacle.

Comparing it to another tragic death, I think it's arguable that Kelly was more directly responsible for the death of Declan Sullivan at Notre Dame than DJ Durkin was for Jordan McNair's death at Maryland. I don't understand how Notre Dame (and now LSU) can forgive and forget the former as a tragic accident, while Durkin gets fired and blacklisted from all future jobs.

Comparing it to Bo is tough because it did not become public until long after his departure and then more than a decade after his death. If the same happened with Harbaugh today, I would expect and hope he would be fired immediately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't doubt there are scumbags in leadership positions, of course there are. When their scumbaggery goes public in today's day and age - particularly when it results in real-life consequences, like the death of a child (young adult), I think that we see that cost them their job more often than not... as it should!! Joe Paterno got driven out of his position and larger-than-life stature, and his statute taken down, despite ridiculous riots and rallies on their campus. Frankly, I would not have been upset to see Penn State get the "death penalty" or be removed from the Big Ten after that debacle.

Comparing it to another tragic death, I think it's arguable that Kelly was more directly responsible for the death of Declan Sullivan at Notre Dame than DJ Durkin was for Jordan McNair's death at Maryland. I don't understand how Notre Dame (and now LSU) can forgive and forget the former as a tragic accident, while Durkin gets fired and blacklisted from all future jobs.

Comparing it to Bo is tough because it did not become public until long after his departure and then more than a decade after his death. If the same happened with Harbaugh today, I would expect and hope he would be fired immediately.

I don't know how nobody at Maryland knew what was going on and they had medical personnel there and I wonder if they were prevented from helping the kid out.    I can't understand how medically trained people on a hot day would not have spotted a heatstroke immediately. 

I remember watching Real Sports and a high school coach in Texas had a kid collapse and he did not hesitate, he had the kids teammates pick him up and run him right into the showers where they got cool water on him as fast as possible......saved the kid's life.    How do all coaches not know this?   How are they not looking for it on these hot days?  The days of Frank Kush and Woody Hayes are over, man, thank goodness.

Yeah, Brian Kelly should have been fired.   At any point did Kelly himself tell that kid to get up there?   I think that was the question and Kelly is like Michael Corleone, he had a lot of buffers.   The fact that the kid texted "Gust of wind up to 60 mph will be fun at work, I guess I've lived long enough." and "Holy fuck this is terrifying" says all you need to know about how obvious it was that he shouldn't have been up there.    And you know what, the guy in charge has to take the ultimate responsibility,  but not when the football team is good, right? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Why? It was a 1st down. He was down with 2 seconds to go. I think that’s time for a final snap. 

Yeah, you're right, I had forgotten about the 1st down and time stops for moving the change.  I guess I'm still trying to get the brain into football mode.

Past weeks TV ratings.

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekly-sports-tv-ratings-8-29-9-4-2022.html

1. Notre Dame-Ohio State (ABC): 10.531M
  2. Florida State-LSU (ABC Sun): 7.554M
  3. Oregon-Georgia (ABC): 6.199M
  4. Colorado State-Michigan (ABC): 3.929M
  5. Penn State-Purdue (FOX Thu): 3.512M
  6. West Virginia-Pittsburgh (ESPN Thu): 3.152M
  7. Utah-Florida (ESPN): 2.951M
  8. Cincinnati-Arkansas (ESPN): 2.899M
  9. NC State-East Carolina (ESPN): 2.031M
  10. Western Michigan-Michigan State (ESPN2 Fri): 1.345M

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

This is what the 100,000 seat Rose Bowl looked like with 27,000 announced. 

UCLA's campus is a good 30 miles of LA traffic from the Rose Bowl.

Think about the good percentage of students in Ann Arbor or East Lansing who will tailgate, realize it's 12:15, stumble into the game, get bored by halftime, leave, go drink some more, and pass out by dinner time (at home with any luck). Can't really do any of that when you factor in an hour-long bus ride to get there and an hour-long ride back... Only the most die hard of student fan is going to go to those games, unless the team gets really good. And they haven't been to the Rose Bowl (game) since 1998.

29 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Think about the good percentage of students in Ann Arbor or East Lansing who will tailgate, realize it's 12:15, stumble into the game, get bored by halftime, leave, go drink some more, and pass out by dinner time (at home with any luck). Can't really do any of that when you factor in an hour-long bus ride to get there and an hour-long ride back... Only the most die hard of student fan is going to go to those games, unless the team gets really good. And they haven't been to the Rose Bowl (game) since 1998.

The people in Pasedena hate the Rose Bowl as a stadium. I don't know if they still do it but in the past the city blockaded every single residential street around the stadium to completely prohibit anyone parking anywhere but a sanctioned lot on game day. If we did that in Ann Arbor you probably couldn't fill the stadium either!

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

There are no students.   Classes don’t start until the 22nd.   That’s a big reason why the place is so empty but the reality is they just don’t have much alumni support.

It’s not 30 miles from campus but it definitely isn’t just around the corner.  It’s 12 or 13 miles and probably 30-35 minute drive   One thing about going to college in LA means the students are very familiar with different parts of town and all the places for college kids to drink.  They don’t hang out just around campus and college bars can be found almost everywhere around LA.  UCLA students take over a number of spots in Pasadena on gameday.

It’s only a matter of time before they UCLA swings a deal to play in SoFi in Inglewood which is less than 5 miles from campus.  That will improve attendance but they still won’t come close to filing the place.  

Edited by Hongbit

18 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There are no students.   Classes don’t start until the 22nd.   That’s a big reason why the place is so empty but the reality is they just don’t have much alumni support.

It’s not 30 miles from campus but it definitely isn’t just around the corner.  It’s 12 or 13 miles and probably 30-35 minute drive   One thing about going to college in LA means the students are very familiar with different parts of town and all the places for college kids to drink.  They don’t hang out just around campus and college bars can be found almost everywhere around LA.  UCLA students take over a number of spots in Pasadena on gameday.

It’s only a matter of time before they UCLA swings a deal to play in SoFi in Inglewood which is less than 5 miles from campus.  That will improve attendance but they still won’t come close to filing the place.  

I think you might be thinking of USC to the Rose Bowl. That's about a 14-mile drive, same as USC to UCLA... UCLA is somewhere between a 25 to 35-mile drive to the Rose Bowl, depending on the route. I plugged it into Google Maps just now out of curiosity, and it shows as a 28-minute drive (at 9:00pm there), but I have to imagine that on a football Saturday in a bus, that timeframe can at least double. I take your point as well about the older UCLA students taking over bars, but that excludes at least freshmen and sophomores, and I'm not sure that vibe is the same as the stereotypical Big Ten campus, where the house parties and fraternity parties are much more lax about a person's age...... Granted, from my own experience, if there is a will there is a way.....

In any event, I agree on both of your last points. SoFi feels inevitable, maybe even by the time they are joining the B1G. It will maybe feel marginally less empty without all the empty and covered seats?

Given the playoff expansion, I wonder what the possibility is that Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA renege on their future moves and decide to stay put?  Maybe its zero, I don't know.  I suppose the money coming from the conferences outweighs the playoff chances (probably enhanced if they stayed with their current conferences) and whatever windfalls would become of that.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Given the playoff expansion, I wonder what the possibility is that Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA renege on their future moves and decide to stay put?  Maybe its zero, I don't know.  I suppose the money coming from the conferences outweighs the playoff chances (probably enhanced if they stayed with their current conferences) and whatever windfalls would become of that.

its zero.

those other conferences will get one team and the big ten/sec will get the 8.  the money difference will continue to grow.

and eventually the sec/big ten will break away and form their own competition.  maybe they'll call it "the champions league?"

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In any event, I agree on both of your last points. SoFi feels inevitable, maybe even by the time they are joining the B1G. It will maybe feel marginally less empty without all the empty and covered seats?

SoFi is actually small for a top B1G stadium, but I suppose it's better to have your team play to 70K full seats than 110K half empty ones. You'd think the 'rent' to use SoFi has to be a lot higher than at the Rose Bowl though.....

Anyone see the Iowa-S.Dakota game?

I wonder if something like this has ever happened before. 
Iowa's offense was NOT shut out.*  
Iowa's defense did NOT score a TD.
Iowa's defense outscored Iowa's offense.

Here's a link with the painful "highlights" to the same with zero TDs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPejgjoQqlo

(*I suppose you could argue that the 'offense' did get shut out as the FG was scored by special teams, but typically when talking about the offense or points scored by the offense FGs are usually included I believe.)

12 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That was a bad call in the Texas-Alabama game.  He didn't hit the QB late.  He did fall on him but you tend to do that when tackling a guy.  He didn't pick him up and drive him into the turf.  

Looked like a broken collarbone.  Good thing Ewers already got multi millions from NIL.