2022 NCAA Football Thread

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

God those bottom feeder B1G teams are terrible. Northwestern lost to Southern Illinois and Purdue to Syracuse. Indiana needed a comeback win to beat Western Kentucky and Rutgers won by 2 against Temple. Not to mention Nebraska getting destroyed by Oklahoma. 

and michigan state hasnt even played yet!  🙂

5 hours ago, casimir said:

I'll say it...... its time to mix some waters into your current hydration program.

After hearing the news that Scott Frost was very late for almost every practice and spent more time on the Golf Simulator (to the point where the Golf manager complained to the AD) than on football film, I figured Nebraska would come out laser-focused, fresh and hungry..........Then I saw OK's QB run 61 yards where the defense barely tried to stop him.   Yikes they're bad.      

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As much as I hate them for the dagger to the heart of every Michigan fan in 2007, App State is an absolute blast to watch.  

Looking back upon that game, I feel much more weight was (and continues to be) put on it at a national level than it ever deserved. App State beat #6 Texas A&M last week and it’s out of the headlines by this week. Why is App State’s win at The Big House so revered as one of College Football’s greatest all time upsets? They came in as two-time defending FCS Champions, as good if not better than a large number of Power Five schools. 

In terms of sheer talent and expectations, there are a handful of games that immediately come to mind (Ohio State v Purdue in 2018, Stanford v USC in 2007, Pitt v WVU in 2007, and even Kansas v Texas last year) that I think are larger upsets. Further, in terms of objective point spreads, Michigan/App State doesn’t even crack the top 15 in the last thirty years.

I think the gravity that loss seemed from the outside to bring to the Michigan program over the next decade (associated with Lloyd Carr stepping down, Rich Rod+Brady Hoke coming in) has truly elevated that game into a category it never really deserved as one of the greatest upsets of all time. People have pointed to it as some “turning point” for the program that devolved it into mediocrity, which is incredibly overly simplistic to the dynamics of the program in 2007 and beyond. It’s not as if had that field goal been good against App State, Lloyd Carr wouldn’t have resigned after losing to OSU again, or Rich Rod would have come in and gone significantly better than 3-9 in 2008.

I think it was a meaningful and huge upset that no one saw coming. I don’t think it’s top five - maybe not even top ten - in NCAA history. It’s also another reason why there should be no ranking of teams until at least week four. Seeing “Appalachian State @ #5 Michigan” as if Michigan was ever actually a top five team that season is disingenuous to the actual talent level of that team, as could be seen the following week when they got smoked by Oregon. I’ll sit down now.

34 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Looking back upon that game, I feel much more weight was (and continues to be) put on it at a national level than it ever deserved. App State beat #6 Texas A&M last week and it’s out of the headlines by this week. Why is App State’s win at The Big House so revered as one of College Football’s greatest all time upsets? They came in as two-time defending FCS Champions, as good if not better than a large number of Power Five schools. 

In terms of sheer talent and expectations, there are a handful of games that immediately come to mind (Ohio State v Purdue in 2018, Stanford v USC in 2007, Pitt v WVU in 2007, and even Kansas v Texas last year) that I think are larger upsets. Further, in terms of objective point spreads, Michigan/App State doesn’t even crack the top 15 in the last thirty years.

I think the gravity that loss seemed from the outside to bring to the Michigan program over the next decade (associated with Lloyd Carr stepping down, Rich Rod+Brady Hoke coming in) has truly elevated that game into a category it never really deserved as one of the greatest upsets of all time. People have pointed to it as some “turning point” for the program that devolved it into mediocrity, which is incredibly overly simplistic to the dynamics of the program in 2007 and beyond. It’s not as if had that field goal been good against App State, Lloyd Carr wouldn’t have resigned after losing to OSU again, or Rich Rod would have come in and gone significantly better than 3-9 in 2008.

I think it was a meaningful and huge upset that no one saw coming. I don’t think it’s top five - maybe not even top ten - in NCAA history. It’s also another reason why there should be no ranking of teams until at least week four. Seeing “Appalachian State @ #5 Michigan” as if Michigan was ever actually a top five team that season is disingenuous to the actual talent level of that team, as could be seen the following week when they got smoked by Oregon. I’ll sit down now.

Because at that time nothing close to that had happened in our lifetimes.   Remember Michigan was one bad penalty call away from going to a National Championship game the season before.    Texas A&M may have been ranked #6, but 2 weeks in the season the rankings are more of a guess.......they haven't even been in the playoff conversation since the playoff started and they got a bunch of publicity because of all the money they spent on players.  

We see massive upsets like this 2 or 3 times a year now.  

Another thing that happened in "The Horror" in 2007 was the Big House mystique was obliterated.  After that, teams weren't nearly as intimidated to come into Michigan Stadium.    That game was an earthquake and it really cemented a lot of Michigan's empty arrogance.   I am a Michigan fan, but I get tired of this idea that Michigan acts as if Bo won a bunch of National titles.  Even as a Michigan fan it was intolerable.  I don't care about the 70's..........and I REALLY don't care about titles when they still wore leather helmets.  I think it kind of detracted from the now.  

With the transfer portal some very good players are not going to tolerate being a backup and they are going to some smaller schools where they can start and it is shaking things up.   This kind of thing just isn't that rare now.  Not like it was then.   It was the college football version of the USA beating Russia in 1980, which, to me, is the only upset in my lifetime that was bigger than The Horror.  

37 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Spoiler: Texas may not be back. Down by UTSA in the 3d quarter. 

UTSA is a good team.  Are they ranked?  They were last year.   Just more of that parity.   As chaotic as it is, college football really needs it.  .  

Jesus, Payton Thorne, what the fuck are you doing there............go out of bounds.   Playing with fire there.    That crowd noise is really rattling Sparty.   But ultimately this doesn't hurt them.  May drop them in the rankings, but you take care of business in the Big 10 and you're in the picha at the end. 

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because at that time nothing close to that had happened in our lifetimes.   Remember Michigan was one bad penalty call away from going to a National Championship game the season before.    Texas A&M may have been ranked #6, but 2 weeks in the season the rankings are more of a guess.......they haven't even been in the playoff conversation since the playoff started and they got a bunch of publicity because of all the money they spent on players.  

We see massive upsets like this 2 or 3 times a year now.  

Another thing that happened in "The Horror" in 2007 was the Big House mystique was obliterated.  After that, teams weren't nearly as intimidated to come into Michigan Stadium.    That game was an earthquake and it really cemented a lot of Michigan's empty arrogance.   I am a Michigan fan, but I get tired of this idea that Michigan acts as if Bo won a bunch of National titles.  Even as a Michigan fan it was intolerable.  I don't care about the 70's..........and I REALLY don't care about titles when they still wore leather helmets.  I think it kind of detracted from the now.  

With the transfer portal some very good players are not going to tolerate being a backup and they are going to some smaller schools where they can start and it is shaking things up.   This kind of thing just isn't that rare now.  Not like it was then.   It was the college football version of the USA beating Russia in 1980, which, to me, is the only upset in my lifetime that was bigger than The Horror.  

I think a lot of what you said is fair and accurate. When I think of what my top ten would be, a lot do come within or following that 2007 season. The context is what provided the long-lasting shock, not as much the actual objective teams themselves.

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I will give Sparty credit though.........They were willing to schedule this game knowing how they do on the road in the Pac-12.   More balls than Michigan's Athletic Department has.  

Call it a lack of balls, but Michigan is in a better position heading into Week 4 to make the CFP than Sparty is. If Michigan loses one game from here to December, they’ll still have a fair shot to make the playoff. If MSU loses one more game from here to December, they won’t make the playoff. It won’t matter that Michigan scheduled Cupcake City College and MSU scheduled Washington.

It will hopefully get better with an expanded playoff, because teams will want to set themselves apart for the six wildcard spots (where a two-loss team with one good non-con loss may look better than a two-loss team that played no one good non-con)… until then though, Michigan’s route this year is the way to do it.

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

There's simply no excuse for certain FBS programs to lose at home vs FCS programs.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  

By the way............Major Kudos to Eastern Michigan for going out to the desert and beating Arizona State by a two-score margin.     Chris Creighton is a hell of a coach.   If you take out his first two years (when it was still mostly yRon English recruits, he's 36-37.   To be .500 at one of the toughest schools to coach, is quite an accomplishment (your region is dominated by a much bigger school, you don't get your pocket of followers).     

Nebraska would be smart to at least interview him.  I think he'd make them better.   If he can do it at Eastern............