2022 NCAA Football Thread

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I thought the Ryan Day is a born-on-third-base bich stuff was just propaganda.  But, man...they are just classless and soft as baby poop.  I hope we beat them in the Shoe.  They need to be brought down a couple pegs.

I'll add some context to this (even though M fans don't want it).  Its an Australian punter that's still picking up the game.  The avenue was clearly open to run with the ball (as evidenced by the result).  It wasn't a called fake punt.  Day and Schiano cleared it up after at midfield after the game was over.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That Rutgers kick returner is my player of the week for decking the OSU guy out of bounds.    A fake punt up by 39, you deserve to get slammed to the ground.  

It wasn't a designed fake punt.  You'd know that if you were watching the game.

30 minutes ago, casimir said:

It wasn't a designed fake punt.  You'd know that if you were watching the game.

So, Ryan Day apologized for that?   I see they apologized for not taking a knee on their final drive.   I think the brittle culture of OSU and its primer-sniffing fans would benefit from some catharsis.

47 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'll add some context to this (even though M fans don't want it).  Its an Australian punter that's still picking up the game.  The avenue was clearly open to run with the ball (as evidenced by the result).  It wasn't a called fake punt.  Day and Schiano cleared it up after at midfield after the game was over.

ryan "were gonna put 100 on their asses" day?

the punter made a mistake, but ryan's not the classiest dude in the world.

48 minutes ago, casimir said:

Was he on the hot seat?

they rushed for 2 yards against illinois.  they were shit last year and this year.  chryst probably should have been fired after last year.

leonard has been biding his time waiting for this job for years.  he cant be worse than chryst.

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My son the freshman at MSU sends that the natives in EL are pretty restless.   He's more into D&D and Halo to give too much of a damn for football (this was the smartest thing I ever did for him, not imposing my fan obsessiveness on him).

the natives should get used to it.  tuck isnt going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

the natives should get used to it.  tuck isnt going anywhere.

My son and my money go there.  But sure as hell, it was the Quicken Loans guy who covered the difference for him to go there vice some school in Virginia.  They seem to have deep pockets these days in EL. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Paul Chryst fired from Wisconsin. I think PJ Fleck would be a good fit for the Badgers.

jim leonard is their next coach.

minny to wiscy is a lateral move.  no need for fleck to do that.  if he moves on its to the next tier in the cfb.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

jim leonard is their next coach.

minny to wiscy is a lateral move.  no need for fleck to do that.  if he moves on its to the next tier in the cfb.

I would disagree that Minnesota to Wisconsin is a lateral move.  I think a well run Wisconsin program is among the top of the west year in and year out while Minnesota hopes to be among that group.

I kind of wondered if this move might have been more about keeping Leonard and a little less so about firing Chryst.  Obviously this is a poor start for Wisconsin.  But the opportunity presents itself to promote Leonard, and so they took advantage of it.

Edited by casimir

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I would disagree that Minnesota to Wisconsin is a lateral move.  I think a well run Wisconsin program is among the top of the west year in and year out while Minnesota hopes to be among that group.

I kind of wondered if this move might have been more about keeping Leonard and a little less so about firing Chryst.  Obviously this is a poor start for Wisconsin.  But the opportunity presents itself to promote Leonard, and so they took advantage of it.

he made minnesota into the exact smae program wiscy has been historically, just a slight bit below.  the resources are basically the same.  the recruiting footprint is the same.  

that whole tier of the big ten is basically the same.  fleck's next move is to the sec or the top tier in the big ten (michigan, ohio state, penn state, u$c).

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

he made minnesota into the exact smae program wiscy has been historically, just a slight bit below.  the resources are basically the same.  the recruiting footprint is the same.  

The question would be how much better a recruiting area the population concentrations at Chicago/Milwaukee may be for Wisconson than Minneapolis is for Minn. I would guess if there is a structural difference that is it. Also, Madison is more of a college 'destination' than Minneapolis. It's sort of like WayneState is just part of Detroit whereas UofM is AnnArbor. Madison is the state capital but it is stlll much more a college town than Minneapolis is because of UMinn.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

Is Minnesota’s sports program really on the same echelon as Wisconsin?  I am under the impression that it’s behind.  I suppose if you want to line up Fleck and Chryst and compare their results based on the type of programs that are at, it might be closer to a dead heat.  But Wisconsin has a few big wins, been in a few big games.  What has Minnesota done?

31 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is Minnesota’s sports program really on the same echelon as Wisconsin?  I am under the impression that it’s behind.  I suppose if you want to line up Fleck and Chryst and compare their results based on the type of programs that are at, it might be closer to a dead heat.  But Wisconsin has a few big wins, been in a few big games.  What has Minnesota done?

where are they at right now?  similar.

wiscy has the same resources and recruiting as minny for the most part, wiscy has been better for 10-20 years, but that doesnt make wiscy a blue blood program.  its not a national program.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

where are they at right now?  similar.

wiscy has the same resources and recruiting as minny for the most part, wiscy has been better for 10-20 years, but that doesnt make wiscy a blue blood program.  its not a national program.

Where are they at right now?  Where have they been in recent history, or longer term history?  We weren't around when Minnesota last won the conference (1961).  Wisconsin has had 7 conference titles (and lost 4 championship games) since.  Come on, we're really not going to have argument about Minnesota football vs Wisconsin football are we?  Because there honestly is not an argument to be had.

I agree with you that Wisconsin isn't a national or blue blood program.  But one team has been able to get some punches in vs blue bloods while the other one has pretty much shown up in the loss column.

36 minutes ago, casimir said:

Where are they at right now?  Where have they been in recent history, or longer term history?  We weren't around when Minnesota last won the conference (1961).  Wisconsin has had 7 conference titles (and lost 4 championship games) since.  Come on, we're really not going to have argument about Minnesota football vs Wisconsin football are we?  Because there honestly is not an argument to be had.

I agree with you that Wisconsin isn't a national or blue blood program.  But one team has been able to get some punches in vs blue bloods while the other one has pretty much shown up in the loss column.

yeah, but in the big picture right now i dont think that matters.  if your pj fleck there is little difference between minny and wiscy.  they are both mid tier big ten programs who pay similarly with similar recruiting footprints.

the next step is the next level of competition or a more prestigious job.  either the sec, a blue blood program, or the pros.  wiscy is none of those things.

51 minutes ago, buddha said:

yeah, but in the big picture right now i dont think that matters.  if your pj fleck there is little difference between minny and wiscy.  they are both mid tier big ten programs who pay similarly with similar recruiting footprints.

the next step is the next level of competition or a more prestigious job.  either the sec, a blue blood program, or the pros.  wiscy is none of those things.

Also - the Gophers built a new stadium that seats 50K. That tells us something about the level of their institutional ambition and the local market for college football.

Edited by gehringer_2