2022 NCAA Football Thread

15 hours ago, buddha said:

his buyout drops considerably in october.  there is no way he's fired before then.

i thought scott frost to nebraska was a slam dunk and that nebraska would totally be back in the game.  he was young and very successful at ucf.  

but man, what a waste.  i am stunned at how bad nebraska has been since he came on board.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Pac 12 changed its championship game to top 2 teams regardless of division.  USC could have to play Utah twice.   I also figure that ND and UCLA will both have things figured out by the end of the season.   Don’t sleep on the trip to Oregon St. in 2 weeks.  They are sneaky good.  

Divisions are pointless for college football now.  Maybe it helps with travel for the MAC or a conference like that.  But what does divisional alignment do for the B10 at this point?

5 hours ago, casimir said:

It seems odd to me that he’d be fired before September is over.  I get that losing this weekend is bad, but if the situation was that close to it’s tipping point, it seems like a new coaching staff should have been assembled after last season.

I had similar thoughts. Even if you decided now that he was done, why make the move now? Anointing his assistant as interim coach is just declaring the 2022 season a wash. That’s not good for morale, recruiting, or retention.

They had no choice but to do it now.  Everyone knew once they lost this weekend that he was going to be fired.  It was a matter of when, not if. 

Think about potential future coaches watching this play out.  What if they let Frost twist in the wind for 3 weeks just to save a couple of bucks?  A Nebraska legend like Frost?  A guy who won them a NC as a player?  If they do him dirty like that to save money, how are they going to treat someone like me if it doesn't work out? 

They paid $7.5M for good public relations.  Cost of doing business.  

Couple of points on Scott Frost.

When he was hired Harbaugh was struggling to get to Indy and it looked like it was just never going to happen.  I thought with Frost being in the West that he was going to come in and do what Harbaugh did and get his team to Indy (to be destroyed by the East team).  I thought we'd be watching something that we can't have like watching Pujols get celebrated and have this surge of home runs while Miggy can hardly walk anymore and goes out with a whimper.    The opposite happened.   Look at Frost's history with onside kicks ....... then you'll see why the Northwestern game was a fireable offense.  

If Mickey Joseph comes in with 9 games left and wins 6 of them, do they keep him?    I mean, anyone in the West is beatable. 

I know the names thrown around are Mark Stoops from Kentucky and Matt Campbell from Iowa State and the coach from Kansas..............I don't know that Nebraska is an upgrade at this point. 

If Matt Rhule is not at .500 or better by week 6 or 8 in Carolina, he's going to be fired.   That might be the guy for Nebraska.  

I'm enjoying this.  The two reasons they got a share of the 1997 title were Tom Osbourne's retirement sentiment and they had an illegal TD in a close game where one of their guys kicked the ball up in the air on a touchdown.  It should not have counted and they would have lost that game. 

So screw Nebraska.  

On 9/12/2022 at 2:00 AM, Deleterious said:

They had no choice but to do it now.  Everyone knew once they lost this weekend that he was going to be fired.  It was a matter of when, not if. 

Think about potential future coaches watching this play out.  What if they let Frost twist in the wind for 3 weeks just to save a couple of bucks?  A Nebraska legend like Frost?  A guy who won them a NC as a player?  If they do him dirty like that to save money, how are they going to treat someone like me if it doesn't work out? 

They paid $7.5M for good public relations.  Cost of doing business.  

Are you referring to the contract buyout?  I did hear about this in more detail yesterday.  So, it was, what $15M that Nebraska would owe Frost if this occurred before October and only $7.5M if he were fired after September?  So, yeah, Nebraska did the right thing here by just getting it over with now.

Nice behind the scenes look at Arch Mannings official visit to Texas.  The Longhorns hosted 9 recruits that weekend and spent $280,000.  They hosted 14 more the following weekend for another $350,000.  So $630,000 on two weekends and 23 recruits.  12 of the recruits were already committed to Texas.  Of the remaining 11, 9 ended up going to Texas.  So money well spent I suppose.

Inside the Texas spending blitz that hooked Arch Manning and a No. 2 recruiting class