2022 NCAA Football Thread

I think Michigan will find it difficult to replicate their efforts from a season ago without Hutchinson, Ojabo, and Dax Hill on the defensive side of the ball.

I do not think they are the #6 team in the country right now, though their cupcake non-conference schedule allows them to walk into Iowa City on 10/1 almost certainly 4-0, giving their young blood some time to acclimate and gain starting confidence.

Even after Iowa, it would take a semi-significant upset for them to lose to anyone but Penn State, Michigan State, and/or Ohio State, the former two of which are at home. This is one of the easier schedules in some time.

I think MSU is also overrated at #14. Let's see what they can do without Kenneth Walker and then we'll talk about them being the 3rd best B1G team.

I'm much less knowledgeable about college ball than I am the NFL, but if I had to stab at it....

EAST

#2 Ohio State (12-1) - B1G Champs, National Semifinal

#10 Michigan (10-2) - Rose Bowl

#24 Penn State (9-3) - Tampa Bay (Outback) Bowl

Michigan State (8-4) - Duke's Mayo Bowl

Maryland (7-5) - Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Indiana (6-6) - Gator Bowl

Rutgers (3-9)

WEST

#22 Wisconsin (9-3) - Citrus Bowl

Iowa (8-4) - Music City Bowl

Nebraska (8-4) - Pinstripe Bowl

Minnesota (6-6) - Quick Lane Bowl

Purdue (5-7)

Illinois (4-8)

Northwestern (2-10)

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Rumors that the MSU game will be played at night.  

Now do OSU!

My first instinct is to say UoM & OSU will never not be at noon.

And then I remember USC & UCLA will be in the Big Ten soon.

Is this a haiku?

What did I just do?

Oh, no, its a limerick, you buffoon.

• Like 1

That Michigan schedule is a thing of beauty.   

-8 home games/4 road games

-Creampuff non B10 games all in the Big House

-Misses Wisconsin, Minnesota and Purdue in conference 

-Even if everything goes wrong, the worst they can do is win 9 games

2C160A48-AA63-4E9E-8414-952027C13EE9.jpeg

Edited by Hongbit

michigan better win this year and next year because they are finished being a big time program if they dont change their nil and transfer portal stance.

msu is about to pass them.  notre dame is passing them.  ohio state is playing in another league.  penn state is killing them.  

this is the beginning of brady hoke 2.0 unless they change next season.

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan better win this year and next year because they are finished being a big time program if they dont change their nil and transfer portal stance.

msu is about to pass them.  notre dame is passing them.  ohio state is playing in another league.  penn state is killing them.  

this is the beginning of brady hoke 2.0 unless they change next season.

I find it really hard to have any confidence in Harbaugh and was sad to see him extended.  I just think he's a goof. And he seems to have no ideas of his own on defense. He sort of lucked into a great one last season with MacDonald and two great DE's peaking the same season. If Minter turns out to be average or worse the defensive regression will be painful to watch.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I find it really hard to have any confidence in Harbaugh and was sad to see him extended.  I just think he's a goof. And he seems to have no ideas of his own on defense. He sort of lucked into a great one last season with MacDonald and two great DE's peaking the same season. If Minter turns out to be average or worse the defensive regression will be painful to watch.

Sensible people I trust say this offense will be elite.  The question will be if the Minter D can be top 20 or top 25.   OSU did pretty well with an elite offense the last few years. 

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Sensible people I trust say this offense will be elite.  The question will be if the Minter D can be top 20 or top 25.   OSU did pretty well with an elite offense the last few years. 

The offense is loaded.  The amount of speed and talent is more than they’ve had in a long time.    They are 2 deep with talent at every skill position.  

They would still win 9 games if they had Rutgers defense.   

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

The offense is loaded.  The amount of speed and talent is more than they’ve had in a long time.    They are 2 deep with talent at every skill position.  

They would still win 9 games if they had Rutgers defense.   

The only factor they lack is Hassan Haskins as the hammer who can get any single yard you need.   They may find that with the QB they signed who apparently is a FB/RB in waiting.  Ronnie Bell being back is a factor they did not have last year.  

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The only factor they lack is Hassan Haskins as the hammer who can get any single yard you need.   They may find that with the QB they signed who apparently is a FB/RB in waiting.  Ronnie Bell being back is a factor they did not have last year.  

They will figure out short yardage but they shouldn’t be trying to hammer anyway.   They have fast playmakers and should be looking to get the ball downfield in chunks most of the time.     I could easily see Harbaugh getting overly conservative if I they had a Haskins type back.  

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

We'll see if McCarthy beats out McNamara. I think McNamara is steady, but he's not a championship caliber QB. McCarthy might be, if he is good enough to beat out McNamara cleanly. If not then he isn't and to me that puts a ceiling on the O.

He’s got time to figure it out.   They have 4 exhibitions before the season starts at Iowa on October 1st.