2022 NBA Summer League

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Chet hasn't played great today but still has 11 points, 11 board and 2 blocks. 

I am not a big fan of his but yeah, he was still relevant in the game.  Always a good thing to see if a guy can stay impactful if he isn't scoring.  

Giving Presti all these picks is going to haunt the league for a long time.  We haven't even mentioned that Jalen Williams looked real good last night as well.  The man knows how to draft.

As I patiently wait for the Pistons to come on I just got to say how crazy/impressive the NBA has made something like the summer league into. Drawing thousands of fans, being on ESPN in prime time, talked about heavily on social media etc. it doesn't seem like that long ago it was taken place in a practice facility in Orlando in front of a couple dozen people or so. 

Liked what I saw from Stewart at the start.  First time touching the ball he nails a three.  Second time he attacked the closeout by putting it on the floor.  He doesn't have to be great at either of those skills but being average would make him a lot more valuable.  

refs ruined it.  called so many fouls, so many techs.  no flow at all.

sloppy game.  very summer league.  lots of grabbing and clutching.

stewart's 3 pointers looked legit.

killian still cant shoot but is still a very good passer.  cant attack the basket.

saben lee is just a warm body.

ivey looked as advertised.  uber athletic.  when he got a head of steam going downhill they couldnt stop him.  great finisher.  shot needs work.  played a little out of control but that's expected.  lane was clogged up because its summer league.

duren looked legit.  high flyer who is going to be a demon switching on d.  no offense to speak of other than lobs but that's ok, that's all he'll need to be.

spacing and shooting will be an issue unless stewart's 3 point chops are real and cade gets more consistent.  i expect both to be true.

Richard Jefferson pulling the old timer today and blasting teams for "coddling" players by not forcing all young players to play summer league instead of mainly rookies and struggling 2nd year players. He said "I made the finals my rookie year and was guarding Kobe in it yet the Nets made me play summer league the following season to work on parts of my game." I don't know what started the rant since I literally turned it on right when he started talking but he brought up Jalen Greene sitting courtside and not playing so perhaps that. The cohost brought up if Cade should be playing and he shrugged that off and the other talking head who's name I can't think of at the moment said that Cade may be one of the exceptions. 

It was a small sample size of course but Stewart did finish the season 11-18 from beyond the arc so perhaps his 3 ball can become relatively good. Like Del mentioned it doesn't have to be 40% but even if he can hit near 35% so it's good enough to have to respect it that could really help this offense.   

Mathurin finishes with 23 points in 20 minutes. I was only half watching after the 1st but from what I saw his offense was pretty much as advertised. His shot was really pure and he scored a couple buckets in transition but he couldn't take anybody off the dribble. A few times he had a bigger defender on him and he couldn't shake him and just settled for a jump shot. Still though the jumper looked really good and he ran the floor well, IF he can develop any time of one on one game he could be really good.