2022 NBA Summer League

20 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Duren, Noel, and Olynyk are going to sort of push him over there.

Maybe not.. but out of those 3, Stew, Bagley, Bey & Livers...

Who do you think is going to start & backup at SF? Who is going to start and backup at PF? And who is going to start and backup at Center? 

I think due to roster construction... A couple guys are going to be round-pegged into PF, whether they like it or not, whether they actually fit in there, or not..

I guess the frontcourt is less about position and more about who is playing together.  I am not super excited about playing Bagley and Stewart together.  Same with Noel or Duren with either of them.  Olynyk at least gives you a floor spacing.  Maybe Stewart will get there also but "hoping" he can develop a three point shot and then also chase around guys a lot quicker than him on defense doesn't seem like smart business acumen to me.  Which is why Livers becomes such a valuable piece for this team.  

I am usually anti there being only one way to build a team so I guess I have to be open to this.  Stewart is kind of a throw back to the power forward's of 25 years ago.  Hopefully it works out.  

4 hours ago, Hart said:

I guess the frontcourt is less about position and more about who is playing together.  I am not super excited about playing Bagley and Stewart together.  Same with Noel or Duren with either of them.  Olynyk at least gives you a floor spacing.  Maybe Stewart will get there also but "hoping" he can develop a three point shot and then also chase around guys a lot quicker than him on defense doesn't seem like smart business acumen to me.  Which is why Livers becomes such a valuable piece for this team.  

I am usually anti there being only one way to build a team so I guess I have to be open to this.  Stewart is kind of a throw back to the power forward's of 25 years ago.  Hopefully it works out.  

Yeah I'm not worried about that yet as, just like Weaver said... they're still in the "talent acquisition" phase.

On that note... next year, when our cap frees up in a big way again... 

Are we positioned to make a major signing/ sign and trade if someone want to come play with Cade/Ivey/ Duren? I mean, they are still so possibly young at this point. I'm not certain someone signs here looking to win Championships. Too early & unknown at this point. But maybe Weaver could swing a monster trade that clears some of the frontcourt logjam and, maybe gets us a star SF, just for example? Who would that be (conceivably)? Who would be exposed (Bey? Stew? most everyone else would be cap filler outside the Big 3...)?

Just something I started to think about...

Well, I think what we've learned from Weaver's time here and what he's said in interviews - he likes trades a lot more than free agency. Which is good, because I've been super impressed with everything he does other than free agency, where I think he's been kind of poor. Plus, Detroit isn't a free agent destination anyway, so it's probably a good tactic.

So, I expect Troy to prioritize trading into his cap space over waiting for the Free Agent market. What does that mean? Well, it means literally anything is on the table and it's a lot harder to predict. For example, this year people were throwing out all kinds of names for the Pistons, from Ayton to Portis, but Troy went totally out of the blue and traded to get Burks/Noel into the cap space. Two guys who were on nobody's radar for the Pistons because nobody knew they were available.

I expect more of the same next offseason.

I like the potential starting lineup of Cade, Ivey, Burks, Bey and Stewart.  Assuming Stewart's outside shot is indeed legit this would surround Ivey with shooters and give him the most room to operate. Plus I think 4 may be Bey's best position so that's an added bonus. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

57 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like the potential starting lineup of Cade, Ivey, Burks, Bey and Stewart.  Assuming Stewart's outside shot is indeed legit this would surround Ivey with shooters and give him the most room to operate. Plus I think 4 may be Bey's best position so that's an added bonus. 

Same. Bey/Livers as your PF rotation makes the most sense and is the archetype you need on most nights, especially come playoff time. It also frees you up to find a Wiggins-type for your SF as you work to round out the roster and get playoff ready in a couple years.

But I don't see it happening this year because it means very limited minutes for 5 guys at one position (Stew, Bagley, Duren, Olynyk, and Noel). 3 of those guys are young, on multi-year deals, and need minutes to develop. 2 of them are vets with plenty of mileage left in the tank that will want to play.

I assume/hope Weaver's going to make some moves to make sense of this roster by the All-Star break.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Same. Bey/Livers as your PF rotation makes the most sense and is the archetype you need on most nights, especially come playoff time. It also frees you up to find a Wiggins-type for your SF as you work to round out the roster and get playoff ready in a couple years.

But I don't see it happening this year because it means very limited minutes for 5 guys at one position (Stew, Bagley, Duren, Olynyk, and Noel). 3 of those guys are young, on multi-year deals, and need minutes to develop. 2 of them are vets with plenty of mileage left in the tank that will want to play.

I assume/hope Weaver's going to make some moves to make sense of this roster by the All-Star break.

Can we assume all of the bigs currently on the roster will still be on the roster come opening night?

I can't imagine this is the product they intended when they created Summer League. Teams just hold out their young players and 4 to 5 scrubs are on the floor at all times. Maybe they can rename this to "Summer Tryouts" and just have the GMs show up to watch a bunch of guys hoping to make a roster. Then create something more entertaining for the fans like a "Summer Preseason League" where most of the players have to actually be signed to your 15 man roster.

Edit: In fact, maybe just move Preseason to summer and turn it into a tournament league. That way teams can be less worried about injuries since you have a few months before the season starts to nurse minor injuries back to health.

Edited by Betrayer

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I can't imagine this is the product they intended when they created Summer League. Teams just hold out their young players and 4 to 5 scrubs are on the floor at all times. Maybe they can rename this to "Summer Tryouts" and just have the GMs show up to watch a bunch of guys hoping to make a roster. Then create something more entertaining for the fans like a "Summer Preseason League" where most of the players have to actually be signed to your 15 man roster.

Edit: In fact, maybe just move Preseason to summer and turn it into a tournament league. That way teams can be less worried about injuries since you have a few months before the season starts to nurse minor injuries back to health.

A tournament league?

Adam Silver is on line one and would like to speak to you.

• Haha 1