07/04/2022 1:10 EDT Cleveland Guardians at Detroit Tigers (Doubleheader Game 1)

casimir

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

That was a Canadian accent, so I’m gonna go with fan.

Astute observation, it's not as funny as a teammate saying it but considering it's opposing fan calling out a completely different team it still makes it pretty funny but sad for us.. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

This is the same guy’s feed, by the way:

I was kinda in that boat as that at the time of the trade but I figured even if he excelled there we'd atleast be happy with Meadows but since that hasn't happened it just makes Paredes success hurt that much more. Also it hurts seeing Candy, Schoop and others struggle here cause if it indeed has nothing to do with the Rays and he would've performed this way for us then with their struggles that means he probably would've gotten a shot to do that here this year. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Also, Trump is no longer president so why are we still talking about him

The President of the United States (and someone who aspires to the job again) has a much more acute impact on my day to day life than someone playing for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Probably in the minority, but the Paredes discourse is pretty old at this point

It is but considering the fact that people still bring up the JD return 5 years later I think talking about him just 3 months later isn't that big of deal. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was kinda in that boat as that at the time of the trade but I figured even if he excelled there we'd atleast be happy with Meadows but since that hasn't happened it just makes Paredes success hurt that much more. Also it hurts seeing Candy, Schoop and others struggle here cause if it indeed has nothing to do with the Rays and he would've performed this way for us then with their struggles that means he probably would've gotten a shot to do that here this year. 

The idea that we were already liquidating top prospects for middling veterans before we even hit the .500 mark had to be a last straw for thousands of fans.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess Chas can claim the high ground because he was skeptical from the start, but when Jeff Riger is on his Twitter dot com account sharing every single Paredes home run when I dont recall his objections at the time, it's just trolling 

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It is but considering the fact that people still bring up the JD return 5 years later I think talking about him just 3 months later isn't that big of deal. 

Sure. But that deal is also much more in the past tense at this point, which if anything makes it better / fairer to reappraise the deal.

With this deal, the Tigers still have Meadows under team control for a couple of more years after this one. And it seems like some talk about the guy in the past tense or if he's incapable of providing value... and that just comes across as a premature judgment.

Edited by mtutiger

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Probably in the minority, but the Paredes discourse is pretty old at this point

Is it old?  Put the Meadows season aside.  I think we can all agree that has been flukey as all get out.

But the Paredes thing, if he hits like this, what does that say about Detroit’s talent evaluation and development?  I suppose it could also be considered a fluke, much like the Tigers resurrected JD Martinez’ career.  Or was that more Martinez and the Tigers were just lucky enough to have offered the opportunity?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So does your thread-copping and your calling me out by name in replies to others, but hey, all in good fun, amirite?

So I give you credit for being one of the few people who actually held that the trade was better from the Tampa Bay end (unlike most everyone else complaining about it), and the response is that I'm "calling you out"?

Good Lord, Relax. 

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

But the Paredes thing, if he hits like this, what does that say about Detroit’s talent evaluation and development?  I suppose it could also be considered a fluke, much like the Tigers resurrected JD Martinez’ career.  Or was that more Martinez and the Tigers were just lucky enough to have offered the opportunity?

This is the biggest takeaway for me, for sure. Meadows is capable of coming back and playing well, but either way it doesn't say much for the Tigers that they didn't give Paredes more of an opportunity or set him up for success.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is the biggest takeaway for me, for sure. Meadows is capable of coming back and playing well, but either way it doesn't say much for the Tigers that they didn't give Paredes more of an opportunity or set him up for success.

Or where does Paredes level off at?  The ISO and hard hit rates are too far off the charts to be considered sustainable.