In this thread we discuss Bobby Higginson

14 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

He touched off a firestorm on the old board by making the team in 2005 ahead of Marcus Thames, who had hit home runs in 2004 in Toledo and Detroit at ridiculous rate.  Higginson had been pretty well washed up since 2003 but the scuttlebutt was that Gibson had advocated for him.  It didn't matter much, he only played a handful of games in 2005 and that was the end of his career.

I remember that well. I remember creating a fake news article about people rioting in downtown Detroit on behalf of Marcus Thames.

18 hours ago, casimir said:

Higginson was probably my favorite player of that awful era.  I knew that he never played in the playoffs, but I guess I had forgotten that none of those squads played .500.

Higginson was at his peak when I became a Tigers fan and there wasn't much else to be excited about.  He was by default my favorite player until the Tigers became competitive.  

Higginson used to hangout in Royal Oak alot back when I was in my 20s and would frequent the bar scene so I've talked to him a few times. I remember one time we were shooting pool with him and it was in the middle of the 06 season, me and one of my friends said something to the effect of "does it bother you that the Tigers just so happened to be good right after you leave them?" and he responded with "I made 50 million dollars off them so I can't complain." lol atleast he was honest.

But what was the kicker was a little bit later he says to me and one of my friends "You guys wanna shot?" so we go up to the bar and take a shot and he proceeds to only pay for his. At the time those Miller Lite "man card" commercials were popular so my friend was like "You ask us if we wanna shot and then you don't pay for it? Your man card is revoked." He got all pissy after that. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 3

I went to a game where there were probably only 3,000 in the stands.  Bobby ran out to his left field position and threw a ball to a lady that he had been flirting with .  He was busy checking her out when a ball was hit to him and he misjudged it.  The guy ended up with a triple but Higgy didn't give a damn.  It was funny because no one else in the ballpark (except the pitcher) cared either.

It was also funny because when we went to get our tickets we asked for the cheapest tickets and they were like 6 bucks or something.  And the guy said don't go sit in those seats though because they were in the upper level.  We ended up sitting about 3 rows from the field.

Edited by gkelly

• 2 weeks later...