2023 Draft

you know the team yzerman wants to build: big on defense, focus on defense.

as everyone has pointed out, you still need to score goals.  i'm hoping raymond develops into that type of player or that we kind find that guy either through trade or free agency (debrincat maybe).  yamamoto is a nice 3rd or 4th line player but he's just more depth.

the defense is on its way, imo.  theyre bigger, longer, and stronger (except for asp but he's a nasty kid who moves the puck).  an im not saying anything we dont already know about the forwards.

i still think this is building up to be a "roll 4 lines" team with a big defense who puts pucks on the net and suffocates the other team with physical play.  we just need one of lombardi, mazur, or raymond to really break out as "that guy" and they can be a solid playoff team in a couple years, imo.

then we can all watch the hawks win multiple stanley cups again.  😞

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

you know the team yzerman wants to build: big on defense, focus on defense.

as everyone has pointed out, you still need to score goals.  i'm hoping raymond develops into that type of player or that we kind find that guy either through trade or free agency (debrincat maybe).  yamamoto is a nice 3rd or 4th line player but he's just more depth.

the defense is on its way, imo.  theyre bigger, longer, and stronger (except for asp but he's a nasty kid who moves the puck).  an im not saying anything we dont already know about the forwards.

i still think this is building up to be a "roll 4 lines" team with a big defense who puts pucks on the net and suffocates the other team with physical play.  we just need one of lombardi, mazur, or raymond to really break out as "that guy" and they can be a solid playoff team in a couple years, imo.

then we can all watch the hawks win multiple stanley cups again.  😞

That's the thing, exactly... 

We'll need to "find more goals" from anywhere in the lineup. Including if Yzerman can turn up a "hidden gem" or two, like Lombardi/ Mazur/ Soderblom... etc.

3 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

That dude looks awesome. Blocks a shot then beats the crap out of three guys.... I Like it!

It looked like he chirped the last guy after sending him flying, if they can develop this kid into a NHL player it'll be nice to have a mean bastard on the backend like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Dunno why. But reminds me of Abdelkater (?), sorry not a big hockey guy. But didn't he take boxing lessons so he could fight people and get a good contract? Or was that someone else.......?

I think you're remembering correctly, I am pretty sure Justin took mma or boxing lessons (or both?) to try to get to be a better fighter.  I don't think it ever worked to be honest I don't remember him winning too many scraps.  It looks like this kid is three inches taller than Abdelkader and played for the NTDP so I'm hoping he can be a useful player somehow.

cleveland is big and cant skate.  but again, big.  and nasty.  

we've seen this team get pushed around for years now.  yzerman wants bigger, stronger guys with an edge and maximum compete.  i assume that's what cleveland is.  i assume that's what this whole draft was considering how many defensemen they took.

i dont like drafting goalies high.  second round was ok for the guy they took this year considering they had three picks there, but to be honest i'm not sure i like this draft for the wings outside of round one.

then again, i dont have any expertise with hockey drafts (as opposed to the nfl where i am all over it, lol).  i'll trust the yzerplan no matter what.  it worked in tampa and it can work here too 

6 hours ago, buddha said:

cleveland is big and cant skate.  but again, big.  and nasty.  

we've seen this team get pushed around for years now.  yzerman wants bigger, stronger guys with an edge and maximum compete.  i assume that's what cleveland is.  i assume that's what this whole draft was considering how many defensemen they took.

i dont like drafting goalies high.  second round was ok for the guy they took this year considering they had three picks there, but to be honest i'm not sure i like this draft for the wings outside of round one.

then again, i dont have any expertise with hockey drafts (as opposed to the nfl where i am all over it, lol).  i'll trust the yzerplan no matter what.  it worked in tampa and it can work here too 

I'm just glad he used the top 5 picks. Supposidly our farm system was pretty strong going into the draft. Adding 5 more talents should be enough. Now next year we can trade the 1sts and 2nd rounders for immediate talent. I'm good w/ being done with the rebuild now. Next off season I say it's time to buy some stuff instead of window shopping....... We have talent coming up the pipeline so its time to finish it off. Yzerman did it the right way. Avila quit the Tigers rebuild too early..... Glad Yzerman stuck to his guns and did it right imo.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

I care less about what the NHL "pundits" say about the 2nd round and later because it is such a crapshoot by then. The NFL seems to be more predictable for the first 3 rounds or so before becoming a crapshoot. I'd rather they be saying that we did well with the first two picks (which they generally are saying) and the latter picks are more puzzling (which some are saying), than vice versa. 

Edited by lordstanley

21 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

40 goals with Patrick Kane...27 without him.  Nice player...but he isn't worthy of the level of angst he's creating.

Re Connor...that's the kind of player you go all in for.  With multiple 1st round picks next year and tons of $$$...we can swing for the fences on something better than DeBrincat

Debrincat played on Ottawa's second line with Joshua Norris as his Center and not Tim Stutzle. Had he played on their first line I bet his numbers are up. If he comes here and plays on our first line with Larkin and Raymond, I bet his numbers increase to, assuming Raymond continues to develop and isn't a liability.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Debrincat played on Ottawa's second line with Joshua Norris as his Center and not Tim Stutzle. Had he played on their first line I bet his numbers are up. If he comes here and plays on our first line with Larkin and Raymond, I bet his numbers increase to, assuming Raymond continues to develop and isn't a liability.

josh norris played 8 games last year.

debrincat played with shane pinto or claude giroux.