2023 Draft

Per The Hockey Writers site, on Cleveland (6' 5" 210), not great on skates, not much O, a lot of stay-at-home Defense:

"But if the Vegas Golden Knights’ Stanley Cup win taught us anything, it’s that there’s still a place for big, bruising defensemen who can wear down the opposition, and in the 2023 NHL Draft class, there isn’t a player that can do that better than Cleveland. Known for being a punishing hitter, he’s one of the toughest players at the United States Hockey League (USHL) level. This season, he led the NTDP with 106 penalty minutes, 30 of which came in a single game after he removed his helmet in a fight. He doesn’t do anything halfway, so when he commits to a hit or a fight, he gives it his all. It’s made him one of the most feared players on the National Team, even though he is usually the seventh defenseman on the roster."

Edited by 1984Echoes

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Per The Hockey Writers site, on Cleveland (6' 5" 210), not great on skates, not much O, a lot of stay-at-home 😧

"But if the Vegas Golden Knights’ Stanley Cup win taught us anything, it’s that there’s still a place for big, bruising defensemen who can wear down the opposition, and in the 2023 NHL Draft class, there isn’t a player that can do that better than Cleveland. Known for being a punishing hitter, he’s one of the toughest players at the United States Hockey League (USHL) level. This season, he led the NTDP with 106 penalty minutes, 30 of which came in a single game after he removed his helmet in a fight. He doesn’t do anything halfway, so when he commits to a hit or a fight, he gives it his all. It’s made him one of the most feared players on the National Team, even though he is usually the seventh defenceman on the roster."

Nice to add some toughness if the kid can play too.

2 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Yamamoto and Kostin for future considerations

OK Then!!!

Kostin - 6' 3" 215# 24 y.o. Center, 11 goals in 57 games/ 10 min's/ game with the Oilers in 2022-23, former 1st round (#31) pick by the Blues

Yamamoto -  5' 8" 155# 24 y.o. RW, 50 goals in 244 games/ 14 min's/ game with the Oilers in 2022-23, Oilers 1st round (#24) pick 2017.

#73 We selected Liam's (Red Wings 2021 draftee) brother:

Noah Dower Nilsson. Goal scorer. LW. 6' 0' 185, excellent shooting, IQ, playmaking skills, skating. 26 goals in 37 games last year.

Why wasn't he a 1st round consideration...? Not by the Wings but at least by the end of the round?

Age maybe...?

No... he's 18 like everyone else...

OK... not interested in playing much D, makes bad passes, doesn't control the puck on his stick as well as he should...

Now I see why he's a 3rd-round projection rather than a 1st/2nd-round talent...

But...

He's a goal-scorer.

Edited by 1984Echoes

12 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The fixation people have on DeBrincat on 97.1 and elsewhere is a little mystifying.  He's a goal scorer...but he isn't going to vault us to cup contention.  If we're going all in one someone...let's call Winnipeg re Connor

25 year old players who score 35-40+ goals in a season on multiple occasions, with favorable trade conditions, don't grow on trees. If Yzerman doesn't doesn't think we are in position to take the next step and aren't ready for a guy like Debrincat then ok. But we were bottom 10 in every scoring metric and we have a chance to get a young, 35+ goal scorer. What's not to like about that?

8 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I would also love the Wings to get McDavid but that's probably just as likely.  The Jets wanted roster players for PLD, not picks/prospects for a full rebuild.   There's little chance they're giving up Connor right now on the contract he has.

this.

connor is a pipedream.

keller in arizona was a pipedream too.  i mean, if arizona calls you on seider and says we'll give you a bunch of future picks are you taking it?  probably not.  neither is arizona and neither is winnipeg.

so I know next to nothing about NHL contract rules so someone help me out here.

The last year of his contract paid Bebrincat $9M. If I understand correctly (and probably don't), Ottawa has to make him a qualifiying offer of at least that by 7/1 or he is a UFA? Nice player but $9M? Are teams just waiting to 7/1 to be sure Ottawa actually does retain his rights?

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so I know next to nothing about NHL contract rules so someone help me out here.

The last year of his contract paid Bebrincat $9M. If I understand correctly (and probably don't), Ottawa has to make him a qualifiying offer of at least that by 7/1 or he is a UFA? Nice player but $9M? Are teams just waiting to 7/1 to be sure Ottawa actually does retain his rights?

i thought he had a clause in his contract that he if the team did not offer him a contract an opted to take him to arbitration the agreed upon number would be $9 million for this year.  then he becomes a udfa next year.  ottawa exercised that clause, i believe.

but dont quote me on that.

39 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

25 year old players who score 35-40+ goals in a season on multiple occasions, with favorable trade conditions, don't grow on trees. If Yzerman doesn't doesn't think we are in position to take the next step and aren't ready for a guy like Debrincat then ok. But we were bottom 10 in every scoring metric and we have a chance to get a young, 35+ goal scorer. What's not to like about that?

40 goals with Patrick Kane...27 without him.  Nice player...but he isn't worthy of the level of angst he's creating.

Re Connor...that's the kind of player you go all in for.  With multiple 1st round picks next year and tons of $$$...we can swing for the fences on something better than DeBrincat

21 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

40 goals with Patrick Kane...27 without him.  Nice player...but he isn't worthy of the level of angst he's creating.

Re Connor...that's the kind of player you go all in for.  With multiple 1st round picks next year and tons of $$$...we can swing for the fences on something better than DeBrincat

the other thing about the Wings is that yes - they have some guys like Zadina that seem pathologically unable to finish, but their biggest problem isn't yet needing guys that specialize just in putting the puck in the net, it's generating scoring pressure to begin with. They can't get out of their own end, and when they do get in the O zone, they spend too much time neutralized along on the boards. The need more puck possessers, more strong on their skates guys who can get the puck into scoring areas of the ice (and of course better passing would also help). Hopefully that is what guys like Danielson (and maybe Soderblom) profile to do. Get some of that and see if the puck doesn't go in the net a lot more.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1