Theo Epstein For the Tigers?

I think the owners like that Rob Manfred has become the lightning rod Baseball needs when they do something controversial, like rules changes, or juicing or deadening the ball, or integrating gambling into every nook and cranny of the game. Manfred is the face of whatever anger fans direct toward Baseball, and playing the heel is a pretty lucrative role for him, especially if he doesn’t really love the game all that much, which many suspect.

I know the Lions were burned by going all in on guys from a smart and successful team but despite that I definitely like the idea of going after somebody from the Dodgers, Cardinals or Braves type organization.

Yeah in the Dodgers case it helps to have the resources they have but money can't be the only reason they churn out and develop prospects hand over fist. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

There's nothing the Tigers could offer Theo Epstein to get him to come here except ownership.

Also, I don't think it's particularly creative. He gets called out in this letter because he's a big name, but do we really know that he'd be the best possible option on the market?

There are a lot of good and dynamic organizations in this league, such as the Dodgers and Rays, who have folks employed who deserve a shot at running a ballclub. Given some of the outside org hires made last offseason in player development, the Dodgers in particular make a lot of sense for the Tigers to look at should they want to theoretically hire someone as GM from the outside. 

I would prefer they do that than go get an Epstein, who has been out of the game for a while and doesn't seem interested in coming back.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Also, I don't think it's particularly creative. He gets called out in this letter because he's a big name, but do we really know that he'd be the best possible option on the market?

There are a lot of good and dynamic organizations in this league, such as the Dodgers and Rays, who have folks employed who deserve a shot at running a ballclub. Given some of the outside org hires made last offseason in player development, the Dodgers in particular make a lot of sense for the Tigers to look at should they want to theoretically hire someone as GM from the outside. 

I would prefer they do that than go get an Epstein, who has been out of the game for a while and doesn't seem interested in coming back.

another good point.  Epstein was the "first" disciple I guess of Billy Beane but now there's hundreds of them who are younger, hungrier, and probably smarter.

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

another good point.  Epstein was the "first" disciple I guess of Billy Beane but now there's hundreds of them who are younger, hungrier, and probably smarter.

Old innovators inevitably fall behind the new innovators.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oblong said:

He rebuilt the organizations though. Thats what I like about him. The Cubs built a "home grown" team. Same for the Red Sox. He knows how to get the right young guys. At least for one good run. I'd love to see what he can do.