Craziest Thread You will Ever Read - Stupid Opinion here

Tigers should trade for Juan Soto. I'm saying it here.

The Tigers should offer Dingler, Jobe, Skubal and someone like Ty Madden for Juan Soto. I literally called the Cabrera trade with my friends before it happened and I would love to see something like this. But if you add Soto to Greene, Torkelson, and Baez.... That could be the core going forward. Jung in a couple of years too.... We have the space, can afford to trade from the dearth of starters, and we can easily afford Soto's contract and he'd be the heir apparent to franchise player that we are losing next year in Cabrera. 

Like I said, this is a stupid opinion. But it would re-energize the fan base showing ownership cares, we'd be dealing from extreme depth we have and it would really solve a few problems including giving us that bonafide true Superstar. This team could salvage itself in two years vs what we are looking 3-5 years down the road without. 

Just thought I'd mention it........ 

15 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Tigers should trade for Juan Soto. I'm saying it here.

The Tigers should offer Dingler, Jobe, Skubal and someone like Ty Madden for Juan Soto. I literally called the Cabrera trade with my friends before it happened and I would love to see something like this. But if you add Soto to Greene, Torkelson, and Baez.... That could be the core going forward. Jung in a couple of years too.... We have the space, can afford to trade from the dearth of starters, and we can easily afford Soto's contract and he'd be the heir apparent to franchise player that we are losing next year in Cabrera. 

Like I said, this is a stupid opinion. But it would re-energize the fan base showing ownership cares, we'd be dealing from extreme depth we have and it would really solve a few problems including giving us that bonafide true Superstar. This team could salvage itself in two years vs what we are looking 3-5 years down the road without. 

Just thought I'd mention it........ 

Yeah that's not enough for Soto. Think Greene, Skubal, Jobe, Olson, Keith and we have to take Patrick Corbin off there hands and we still probably don't have enough. The closest thing we have for a bench mark here is Cabrera's trade which included 2 top 10 prospects and a bunch of others and then taking Dontrelles contract

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

Just now, LongLiveMaroth said:

Yeah that's not enough for Soto. Think Greene, Skubal, Jobe, Olson, Keith and we have to take Patrick Corbin off there hands and we still probably don't have enough.

No player is worth that much. Bruh, but you're right that Avila might be stupid enough to pay something like that. 

In order to get Cabrera we had to trade 2 top 50 prospects (Maybin and Miller). They get that in Skubal and Jobe from my trade proposal. The rest would be sweeteners to finish up the pricing. Dingler is no slouch, nor is Madden. But those two could be interchangeable with other prospects in our system like Olson, or Keith.....

The other problem with trading for Juan Soto is that to make the trade worthwhile to any degree, we would have to pony up minimum 15/450 to lock him down, and if he wasn’t willing to take that from his current team because they’re not close to competing for a ring any time soon, he won’t take it from the Tigers who would have decimated their chances just to get him on board for just this year. 

8 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Why bail them out of a bad situation for two years of Soto? Just sign him as a free agent.

I'm just proposing this because its what we did with Cabrera (to an extent). We were just coming out of a rebuild getting legitamacy with Pudge and Magglio too around the same time frame. If we make the trade, you can put it on the condition an extension is signed. Otherwise, yes wait till Free Agency.

I just think having that exclusive window will be very beneficial versus trying to out bid the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets and the other big boys. The Tigers can afford to make this trade now and afford to sign him. That is why I think they should do it (assuming we get that contract extension). But its just my $0.02. 

37 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

No player is worth that much. Bruh, but you're right that Avila might be stupid enough to pay something like that. 

In order to get Cabrera we had to trade 2 top 50 prospects (Maybin and Miller). They get that in Skubal and Jobe from my trade proposal. The rest would be sweeteners to finish up the pricing. Dingler is no slouch, nor is Madden. But those two could be interchangeable with other prospects in our system like Olson, or Keith.....

Tigers had to give up 2 top 10 prospects to get Cabrera.  Think Greene and Torkelson.  

14 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I'm just proposing this because its what we did with Cabrera (to an extent). We were just coming out of a rebuild getting legitamacy with Pudge and Magglio too around the same time frame. If we make the trade, you can put it on the condition an extension is signed. Otherwise, yes wait till Free Agency.

I just think having that exclusive window will be very beneficial versus trying to out bid the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets and the other big boys. The Tigers can afford to make this trade now and afford to sign him. That is why I think they should do it (assuming we get that contract extension). But its just my $0.02. 

The Tigers didn't trade for Cabrera until after they had two winning seasons in 2006/07.  This team isn't close to that level yet.

I would love to trade for Soto and extend him but we're just not in position to do so at this time considering the lack of top end talent in the system and on the team. As others have mentioned it would probably start with Greene and/or Tork plus Skubal and some of the top guys on the farm and by the time we do that we'd be no better off then where the Nationals are now anyway. 

If Mize and Manning were healthy and pitching at a top flight level I MAY consider it with the mindset that we could possibly flip one or both of them to help recoup our losses but that obviously isn't the case.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

Regardless if we have the pieces or not - which imo we do - why would Soto want to go from one loser of a team to another? I'm pretty sure the whole point is that he wants to go to a team that has a chance to win right now.

https://theathletic.com/3435069/2022/07/20/juan-soto-mlb-trade-market/ - These trade offers are more in line with my proposal. No one is close to offering Greene + Tork...... Just saying, he's not gonna cost nearly what you guys would think.... Skubal + Jobe would be a great foundation for a trade piece.... at least thats approximating based off the writers at the Athletic are saying.... Seems they are saying 1 younger MLB + a top prospect + a mid range prospect or two. Skubal and Jobe fit that.... 

54 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

https://theathletic.com/3435069/2022/07/20/juan-soto-mlb-trade-market/ - These trade offers are more in line with my proposal. No one is close to offering Greene + Tork...... Just saying, he's not gonna cost nearly what you guys would think.... Skubal + Jobe would be a great foundation for a trade piece.... at least thats approximating based off the writers at the Athletic are saying.... Seems they are saying 1 younger MLB + a top prospect + a mid range prospect or two. Skubal and Jobe fit that.... 

Again, we are an awful baseball team. He wants to win. Why in the world would he want to come here?

1 hour ago, Nerb said:

Again, we are an awful baseball team. He wants to win. Why in the world would he want to come here?

Additionally, are we going to just look past the fact this organization is broken? Resolving the current problems should be above and beyond trying to make a splash in the market. This org can’t outspend its weaknesses. Going out and trading for a high profile player right now doesn’t improve the system. 

This goes back to having an inept GM. This is the road DD pursued. There wasn’t much organic improvement within the org which was a problem then. Address the problems internally first. Then if you need a player to put you over the top, sign one. 

Edited by 1776

Soto makes no sense for the Tigers. They would get him for two years and then he'll leave.  The only teams that should consider trading for him are teams that are either one hitter away from post-season or willing to break the bank on an insane extension.  The Tigers are not in either category.  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Additionally, are we going to just look past the fact this organization is broken? Resolving the current problems should be above and beyond trying to make a splash in the market. This org can’t outspend its weaknesses. Going out and trading for a high profile player right now doesn’t improve the system. 

This goes back to having an inept GM. This is the road DD pursued. There wasn’t much organic improvement within the org which was a problem then. Address the problems internally first. Then if you need a player to put you over the top, sign one. 

Looking at it from that angle, it would probably be another Juan Gonzalez situation. 

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Looking at it from that angle, it would probably be another Juan Gonzalez situation. 

Which also occurred under Ilitch ownership.

No way we get Soto. No way we even try for Soto. Because if getting Soto is going to take, at minimum, TORK!, Greene, and Skubal—three pieces currently considered integral to the future fortunes of the team—then what exactly are we trying to accomplish here?

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Which also occurred under Ilitch ownership.

No way we get Soto. No way we even try for Soto. Because if getting Soto is going to take, at minimum, TORK!, Greene, and Skubal—three pieces currently considered integral to the future fortunes of the team—then what exactly are we trying to accomplish here?

I'm willing to bet once he's dealt (yes I know, more than likely not to us!), it will be for half that cost. I'm going to go with a current young player, teams top prospect (maybe their 2nd best prospect) and two B level prospects. 

Again, I'm not advocating Greene or Tork on the trade. Others are. I think it could be done without that if we actually made a legitimate offer (and again if we could work out a contract extension before finalizing the deal so its for 10 years not two). The Nationals NEED pitching. They have lots of position players but beyond Cade Cavalli, they are STARVING for pitching. And even Cade is supposed to be a #3 at best.... Oof.