08/28/2022 2:35 EDT Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers

casimir

Dusty Baker said that after coming into the dugout at the end of the inning Verlander passed him and said 'he felt something' and went straight into the tunnel.  I could imagine Baker's fear after hear his prized pitcher who is coming off TJ surgery say that without giving him any context, hearing it was "just" his calf had to be about as relieving of news for Baker and the Astros as you could get. 

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I am saying they need to pay a bonus which would be whatever he is owed plus more to make him retire.

I know ownership wont pay him what is required to make him retire but they should.

Has that ever happened before? Honest question, I don't know either way

I’m not following the team too closely this year — that’ll probably change next year, I hope — but you guys must’ve been shitting your pants. 9-0 then OMG? And I don’t blame you. I’m glad I was too busy today to follow this game. I wish you all the best but I just don’t have the balls to watch this team this year. I tried to watch the free broadcast of mlb.tv’s Saturday game, but when I heard Shep’s voice my will to live left me. It’s a baseball version of PTSD  

Instead I woke up at 4:30 AM and watched cycling — Stage 9 of the Spanish Grand Tour — until 10 AM, then went out for a long walk with a friend and had lunch and then went to my reading group and got home ate a burrito and read the first 50 pages of Dostoyevsky‘s “The Brothers Karamazov” in which I think some really bad shit is going to go down by the time I get to page 848. I was happy. 

I wish I could share this season with you but I can’t. For the first time in the 19 years since I rediscovered this team of my childhood I just don’t have it in me. All I have to offer are complaints and negativity. You guys deserve better than bitching and complaining. Hope they’re better next year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Has that ever happened before? Honest question, I don't know either way

Probably not, but from the "selling" team's perspective (as Detroit would be here) it wouldn't be morally different from the Yankees paying David Justice X millions to play for the A's. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't see this happening.  Chris I probably will figure from a financial standpoint that Miggy sells X tickets/jerseys/etc and he'll lose that revenue if Miggy is gone.  Conversely, whatever marginal gain would come from replacing Miggy wouldn't counteract much if any of the revenue loss from Miggy's marketability, so from a business standpoint I don't see Chris making this move.

I wish I could look forward to Miggy not starting most days or the hope that he could be halfway decent, but I can't say these things.  I hope whatever happens with the rest of the team will make 2023 worthwhile watching.

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m not following the team too closely this year — that’ll probably change next year, I hope — but you guys must’ve been shitting your pants. 9-0 then OMG? And I don’t blame you. I’m glad I was too busy today to follow this game. I wish you all the best but I just don’t have the balls to watch this team this year. I tried to watch the free broadcast of mlb.tv’s Saturday game, but when I heard Shep’s voice my will to live left me. It’s a baseball version of PTSD  

Instead I woke up at 4:30 AM and watched cycling — Stage 9 of the Spanish Grand Tour — until 10 AM, then went out for a long walk with a friend and had lunch and then went to my reading group and got home ate a burrito and read the first 50 pages of Dostoyevsky‘s “The Brothers Karamazov” in which I think some really bad shit is going to go down by the time I get to page 848. I was happy. 

I wish I could share this season with you but I can’t. For the first time in the 19 years since I rediscovered this team of my childhood I just don’t have it in me. All I have to offer are complaints and negativity. You guys deserve better than bitching and complaining. Hope they’re better next year. 

Don't blame you at all Bert. 

I had hope finally coming into this season that they would be decent, and they have been victimized by horrible horrible bad luck, but they also have three "showcase" players who were still in their prime years who turned into nightmares this year (Baez, Schoop, and Candy), a marquee 1st Rounder who bombed (Tork), another 1st Rounder who failed health-wise (Mize), along with another prime-time star (Meadows), and all we can do is hope that they all rebound at some point.

This organization has been a bleep-show for a long time, and Chris I has never demonstrated the ability or will to be a successful owner, starting with having Avila sell off Verlander for beans and then pulling a Sgt. Shultz ("I knew nothingk!!") on the trade recently.

My "bright line" is Miggy, I admire the way they handled his great milestones this year, and I think the organization is to be commended for that. 

But I can't take another season of trying to remember when Miggy was healthy and something above Replacement level (2016 and before), while watching light bloopers to right and groundouts where the fielders practice soft-tossing to first and Miggy can't even get in the camera shot down the 1st base line.

I realize 2023 is going to be a Hail Mary, but I cannot continue to watch a team that thinks that's what I want to see.

I hope that Chris realizes that he has been the author of this garbage and spends a little $$ to help get the roster into some kind of decent shape.  I'm not talking about spending like his dad, I'm just saying get up to the league average of payroll (which isn't chump change) and saints forbid maybe even go a little beyond that. 

Shouldn't the fans EXPECT and DEMAND a decent and maybe even winning product?  What the heck.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 8:04 AM, sabretooth said:

Don't blame you at all Bert. 

I had hope finally coming into this season that they would be decent, and they have been victimized by horrible horrible bad luck, but they also have three "showcase" players who were still in their prime years who turned into nightmares this year (Baez, Schoop, and Candy), a marquee 1st Rounder who bombed (Tork), another 1st Rounder who failed health-wise (Mize), along with another prime-time star (Meadows), and all we can do is hope that they all rebound at some point.

This organization has been a bleep-show for a long time, and Chris I has never demonstrated the ability or will to be a successful owner, starting with having Avila sell off Verlander for beans and then pulling a Sgt. Shultz ("I knew nothingk!!") on the trade recently.

My "bright line" is Miggy, I admire the way they handled his great milestones this year, and I think the organization is to be commended for that. 

But I can't take another season of trying to remember when Miggy was healthy and something above Replacement level (2016 and before), while watching light bloopers to right and groundouts where the fielders practice soft-tossing to first and Miggy can't even get in the camera shot down the 1st base line.

I realize 2023 is going to be a Hail Mary, but I cannot continue to watch a team that thinks that's what I want to see.

I hope that Chris realizes that he has been the author of this garbage and spends a little $$ to help get the roster into some kind of decent shape.  I'm not talking about spending like his dad, I'm just saying get up to the league average of payroll (which isn't chump change) and saints forbid maybe even go a little beyond that. 

Shouldn't the fans EXPECT and DEMAND a decent and maybe even winning product?  What the heck.

And now, now, they are again trumpeting “rebuilding.“ The Neverending Rebuild. This is inexcusable. Yes indeed they had a lot of bad luck. But other teams have bad luck too. Other teams have enough depth to survive bad luck. And while I wasn’t expecting Tork or Greene to have Tony Conigliaro rookie years, I was expecting more. This franchise has eroded my ability to care. If they sold the franchise to King Charles III he couldn’t do any worse than Chris has done because neither of them know much about baseball. 

• Like 1