09/04/2022 1:40 EDT Kansas City Royals at Detroit Tigers

casimir

24 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The first Tigers teams I was old enough to follow had Tettleton, Phillips, Cuyler, Kreuter. I don't really have a way to fact check, but I know that era was switch hitter heavy.

RIght, but Tettleton and Phillips were exceptions over a long period. Cuyler/Kreuter weren't regulars so I'm not really counting them.  Just as snapshots, the 68 championship team had none starting, likewise the 72 Divisional winner, 84 had one in Howard Baker who already had one foot out the door with Sparky (:classic_laugh:). 2006 was the first winning team I remember where SH played any major role, Guillen, Young, Santiago  (N. Perez was a SH but I can't justify calling his time with the Tigers a 'role'!).  But then by the 2012 WS team had only Ramon, and his role was minor.

The recent stretch with W. Castro, Grossman, Reyes, Candelario, Barnhart, Niko, is really unusual, for any team really. I think it points the to fact that Avila did not just take SH as they came along but had to be making an effort to pursue them to have collected so many contemporaneously.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, casimir said:

It’s tough to gauge right now without a GM in place.  The pros and cons are probably equal in weight.  I suspect he is brought back and they kick the longer term 3B decision down the road, but it’s just an uneducated guess.

The question in my mind is if you bring him back and he plays well do you trust he will continue to do well if you sign him to a multi year free agent contract ? I wouldn’t so for  me it’s non tender and move on. 

Edited by SoCalTiger

23 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

The question in my mind is if you bring him back and he plays well do you trust he will continue to do well if you sign him to a multi year free agent contract ? I wouldn’t so for  me it’s non tender and move on. 

I can’t see signing him to a multi year deal, but it all depends upon the language of the contract.  Even if he has a good 2023, he has an inconsistent track record.  So how many teams would look to sign him to a longer deal?  Right now, I would imagine a nominal 2 year guaranteed deal would be tough for him to find.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

I can’t see signing him to a multi year deal, but it all depends upon the language of the contract.  Even if he has a good 2023, he has an inconsistent track record.  So how many teams would look to sign him to a longer deal?  Right now, I would imagine a nominal 2 year guaranteed deal would be tough for him to find.

There's been some speculation that you could still nontender him and that he might still be available for more favorable terms afterward....

That might be a risk worth taking.

29 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

The question in my mind is if you bring him back and he plays well ...

I bring him back just to be able to cover 3B for 1 year. That's it. The same thing we did in trading for Barnhart. Just as a stopgap to cover a spot for a year.

If he does well, trade him at the deadline. That's it.

There's no signing him to another contract... as we've seen, not enough consistency and there's been a definite drop this year, on both sides of the ball. That's it.

For Jeimer.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There's been some speculation that you could still nontender him and that he might still be available for more favorable terms afterward....

That might be a risk worth taking.

So, just throwing out numbers, say he’s looking at $7M for next season via arb.  By more favorable, I assume you mean from the perspective of the Tigers?  So something like, I don’t know, 2/$12M with incentives attached?

Just now, casimir said:

So, just throwing out numbers, say he’s looking at $7M for next season via arb.  By more favorable, I assume you mean from the perspective of the Tigers?  So something like, I don’t know, 2/$12M with incentives attached?

It really comes down to what he demands on the open market.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'd rather the $7 mill for 1 year than anything on a multi-year.

Personal preference.

I tend to agree.  If they could attached a qualifier for the 2nd season, that might be different.

Speaking of Candelario, poor defense allows the lead run to score.  Is he reading this forum during the game?

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

I tend to agree.  If they could attached a qualifier for the 2nd season, that might be different.

Speaking of Candelario, poor defense allows the lead run to score.  Is he reading this forum during the game?

Then again...

Maybe he's looking for an early pathway out of Detroit...?

And a non-tender...?

Doesn't seem logical, but...

Honestly a great question for Ed or Microline, but what would be a reasonable AAV projection for Candy on the open market given his past and his results this year?

I know it's not $7mil, but just my intuition is that it it can't be much above $3mil AAV

Edited by mtutiger

I think Kreifl

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I bring him back just to be able to cover 3B for 1 year. That's it. The same thing we did in trading for Barnhart. Just as a stopgap to cover a spot for a year.

There's no signing him to another contract... as we've seen, not enough consistency and there's been a definite drop this year, on both sides of the ball. That's it.

For Jeimer.

Probably the general consensus opinion but for me it’s bye bye Candy. I’d rather let Kriedler stopgap third base with solid defense and hope he can hit  at the MLB level. If so you have third covered for awhile. 
Then spend the 7 mil towards something else. 

9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

... Probably the general consensus opinion but for me it’s bye bye Candy. I’d rather let Kriedler stopgap third base with solid defense and hope he can hit  at the MLB level. If so you have third covered for awhile. 
Then spend the 7 mil towards something else. 

That may also be the option. I don't know if the Org is there yet... I'm not, just yet...

But we'll see soon enough this offseason what their thinking is...

Edited by 1984Echoes

37 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

For Jeimer.

the problem is arb $. We are going to have to cut him loose to get out from under that and maybe someone offers him something before the Tigers do, but that's a risk I'd be happy to take. He isn't worth what an arbitrator is going to give him. Spend those $ somewhere else if some one else signs him.

I've been a long time advocate for Wilmer Flores on this board and feel he's an unusually good fit for their needs. And not just because his brother is one of the Tigers top prospects... because he can play both first and third fairly well and is would be their best hitter if he was on the team this year.

Best case scenario never happens. But he'd be a better stopgap than Candy 

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the problem is arb $

The money doesn't mean a thing to me.

And besides, I think it's going to be very difficult to spend our money this offseason...

We don't exactly resemble a "Go-To" location this winter.

At least not until this team/ new GM fixes a few things and we start back up to looking better on the field. I think it takes next year to recover Org value/ destination value...

Just my 2 cents.

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I've been a long time advocate for Wilmer Flores on this board and feel he's an unusually good fit for their needs. And not just because his brother is one of the Tigers top prospects... because he can play both first and third fairly well and is would be their best hitter if he was on the team this year.

Best case scenario never happens. But he'd be a better stopgap than Candy 

I would agree with this...

But how do you get him away from the Giants?

Even if he's a FA (I didn't check contract status)... the same question applies: how do you get him away from the Giants/ California... to come to Michigan?

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The money doesn't mean a thing to me.

And besides, I think it's going to be very difficult to spend our money this offseason...

We don't exactly resemble a "Go-To" location this winter.

At least not until this team/ new GM fixes a few things and we start back up to looking better on the field. I think it takes next year to recover Org value/ destination value...

Just my 2 cents.

I understand the angle about not caring what the owner spends, and I don't, at least wrt how it impacts ownership. But the reality is that as a fan, I also know that this owner has a budget, and if I want to see a good team, then I have to hope that the owner spends his budget effectively, because for most owners, and almost certainly this one, the budget is the budget, win or lose. And I'd rather have win.

Edited by gehringer_2