09/04/2022 1:40 EDT Kansas City Royals at Detroit Tigers

casimir

45 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Even if he's a FA (I didn't check contract status)... the same question applies: how do you get him away from the Giants/ California... to come to Michigan?

Obvious answer is money. But the idea of playing behind his brother (theoretically possible as early as next year) is something the Tigers can give him that no other team will.

I doubt he comes here, but the pieces kinda fit regardless.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I understand the angle about not caring what the owner spends, and I don't, at least wrt how it impacts ownership. But the reality is that as a fan, I also know that this owner has a budget, and if I want to see a good team, then I have to hope that the owner spends his budget effectively, because for most owners, and almost certainly this one, the budget is the budget, win or lose. And I'd rather have win.

Again...

Who is going to be willing to take Detroit's money this offseason?

That's the very first question that needs to be answered.

Sign an All-Star FA 3B'man and of course Candy is non-tendered.

But what is the answer to the first key question: who is going to take our money this offseason to come play for the 2023 Tigers?

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Again...

But what is the answer to the first key question: who is going to take our money this offseason to come play for the 2023 Tigers?

Money talks in sports but out of all sports it seems to talk the most in MLB where guys seemingly aren't as considered with the talent around them as in other sports.  I say seemingly cause you don't nearly hear about guys demanding trades in MLB as you do in other sports and guys have gone to worst teams for more money which is something you don't see as much elsewhere.

We'll definitely have to overpay for any potential guy but if we offer more money than another team than there is no reason why we couldn't sign any FA if we chose to do so. 

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Again...

no doubt you want to have another answer before you cut a guy adrift - no argument you don't want to leave yourself with nothing, but that's what Ilitch is supposed to hire someone to do. One way to look at it is there are two levels of decision. The first is the decision that you want to move on from a player, then the second becomes, can you? If you find the answer to the 2nd question is "no" you may need to delay your execution of the 1st decision, but that doesn't mean you haven't committed to that course of action  - at least internally even if not publicly.

When we talk here on the forum, the issue of finding a player's replacement can be filled with too many imponderables to make much of a discussion. That's not always true, sometimes the choices do crystallize like they did around SS last off-season.  But I think in the main our discussions primarily end up revolving around the 1st question - should we make the decision to move on  - eventually, even granted that it may turn out not to be practical to accomplish in a given off season.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Money talks in sports but out of all sports it seems to talk the most in MLB where guys seemingly aren't as considered with the talent around them as in other sports.  I say seemingly cause you don't nearly hear about guys demanding trades in MLB as you do in other sports and guys have gone to worst teams for more money which is something you don't see as much elsewhere.

We'll definitely have to overpay for any potential guy but if we offer more money than another team than there is no reason why we couldn't sign any FA if we chose to do so. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think this answers G2 as well...

Show me the FA we sign to play 3B and I will personally go show Jeimer Candelario where the exit door is...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think this answers G2 as well...

Show me the FA we sign to play 3B and I will personally go show Jeimer Candelario where the exit door is...

I mean I'll believe it when I see it to but if there is a FA we want to play 3B and are willing to pony up the money there is no reason he won't sign here, guys go where the money at. 

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I've been a long time advocate for Wilmer Flores on this board and feel he's an unusually good fit for their needs. And not just because his brother is one of the Tigers top prospects... because he can play both first and third fairly well and is would be their best hitter if he was on the team this year.

Best case scenario never happens. But he'd be a better stopgap than Candy 

He’s a solid player for sure. 

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In theory there are but historically the team that offers the most money gets the player in MLB particularly if that team also has a guaranteed full time spot for said player. 

And there are many, many, many players who won't even CONSIDER Detroit for one reason or another.

I'm sorry... but you have to start there...

The player first has to be willing to consider the Tigers and that is NOT every player.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that we can just "buy" any player we want by offering the most money. It's not going to work like that.

So I'm going to fall back on what I said previously, and we won't find out the answer until Free Agency, but: find me the guy that signs with the Tigers to play 3B in 2023, and I'll show Candy the door.

Until then... he's the stopgap option, and I tender him for next year until and unless a different option commits. 

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I've been a long time advocate for Wilmer Flores on this board and feel he's an unusually good fit for their needs. And not just because his brother is one of the Tigers top prospects... because he can play both first and third fairly well and is would be their best hitter if he was on the team this year.

Best case scenario never happens. But he'd be a better stopgap than Candy 

I like the Wilmer Flores for 3B suggestion. 

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And there are many, many, many players who won't even CONSIDER Detroit for one reason or another.

I'm sorry... but you have to start there...

The player first has to be willing to consider the Tigers and that is NOT every player.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that we can just "buy" any player we want by offering the most money. It's not going to work like that.

So I'm going to fall back on what I said previously, and we won't find out the answer until Free Agency, but: find me the guy that signs with the Tigers to play 3B in 2023, and I'll show Candy the door.

Until then... he's the stopgap option, and I tender him for next year until and unless a different option commits. 

So what do they do?  Just sit on their cash and hope that Al Avila’s farm system suddenly pumps prospects up to the major league?  I got news for you, ain’t happening.

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In theory there are but historically the team that offers the most money gets the player in MLB particularly if that team also has a guaranteed full time spot for said player. 

No way the Tigers will sign Ordonez, Rodriguez, and Rogers.

Oh, wait, that happened, didn’t it?

1 minute ago, casimir said:

No way the Tigers will sign Ordonez, Rodriguez, and Rogers.

Oh, wait, that happened, didn’t it?

Yep or Robinson Cano would leave the freaking NY Yankees to sign with the then last place Mariners, or just this past year guys like Seagar and Semien leaving playoff teams to sign with the Rangers who have been bottom feeders about as long as the current Tigers.