09/04/2022 1:40 EDT Kansas City Royals at Detroit Tigers

casimir

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In honor of Chasfh nailing an ambiguity in the peeve thread this morning, I have to ask: are you wagering 7 different Tigers will each K at least once, or that the team will have at least 7 K?    🤔 :classic_wink:

I'm going for the team k's, now that I think about I say 10! lol

14 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So does Lester get a pension or some “retirement “ benefits for being on a MLB roster ? 

used to be you needed 43 days service time to get the 1st pension increment but so many things have been reworked since COVID I don't know if this site is up to date...

https://awmcap.com/blog/mlb-service-time#:~:text=The full pension consists of,valued at %245%2C750 per quarter.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Candelario with an E on a relatively easy throw to CastroH.  Just another straw on the non tender pile.

With all the holes, one can maybe see the argument to tender him if he were playing adequate defense.

But just too many plays like that this year on defense... I dont think he's worth tender money at this point.

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

With all the holes, one can maybe see the argument to tender him if he were playing adequate defense.

But just too many plays like that this year on defense... I dont think he's worth tender money at this point.

It’s tough to gauge right now without a GM in place.  The pros and cons are probably equal in weight.  I suspect he is brought back and they kick the longer term 3B decision down the road, but it’s just an uneducated guess.

• Thanks 1

I think one of the things that work in Candelario’s favor as of now is that the probable IF for next season, at least as far as incumbents go, is RHB heavy.  His SHB, although ineffective this season, probably works to in favor of bringing him back.  And in fairness, he has had success on the lefty side of the plate.

Similarly, this might be a reason to bring Reyes back as a bench OF.  His SHB breaks up the possible LHB heavy OF.

But that’s just one of the many variables heading into the off-season.  Again, who knows what new leadership will want to accomplish this off-season.  It might be more about improving the player development process of the organization for the long term and less about major league player acquisition for 2023.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

It’s tough to gauge right now without a GM in place.  The pros and cons are probably equal in weight.  I suspect he is brought back and they kick the longer term 3B decision down the road, but it’s just an uneducated guess.

I tend to agree, in that a new GM and front office can come in and give these guys kind of a clean slate. I wanna add one thing to this calculus, though.

It used to be arbitration contracts weren't guaranteed. You could give guys a tryout in March camp and cut them for severance pay. That's no longer the case as of the new CBA, and I could see more players getting non-tendered as a result.

Just now, casimir said:

His SHB, although ineffective this season, probably works to in favor of bringing him back

This would certainly be the case if the new GM is anywhere near as fixed on SH as Avila was. I believe Avila put more SH on the Tiger roster than all the GMs in the entire history of my watching the Tigers. He clearly had it bad for SH, even if they couldn't SH worth a damn. 

But given that we hope the new GM will not be an Avila clone, my guess is anyone new is going to be less fixed on SH than Al was.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This would certainly be the case if the new GM is anywhere near as fixed on SH as Avila was. I believe Avila put more SH on the Tiger roster than all the GMs in the entire history of my watching the Tigers. He clearly had it bad for SH, even if they couldn't SH worth a damn. 

But given that we hope the new GM will not be an Avila clone, my guess is anyone new is going to be less fixed on SH than Al was.

The first Tigers teams I was old enough to follow had Tettleton, Phillips, Cuyler, Kreuter. I don't really have a way to fact check, but I know that era was switch hitter heavy.