09/09/2022 8:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals

casimir

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Now 7-0 as the Tigers O has seemingly come to life near the end of this season...

And Wentz pitching a shutout so far...

Harbinger of next year... right?

😜

Wentz' first outing against Oakland lowered expectations a lot... he's pretty solid. Glad we are getting a chance to see it

Now 7-0 as the Tigers O has seemingly come to life near the end of this season...

And Wentz pitching a shutout so far...

Harbinger of next year... right?

😜

I once said on this site Wentz would be better than Manning. You and others correctly said I was wrong but it sure would be nice if he can make it all the same. Lots of good pitches tonight including the long forgotten curveball 

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I once said on this site Wentz would be better than Manning. You and others correctly said I was wrong but it sure would be nice if he can make it all the same. Lots of good pitches tonight including the long forgotten curveball 

I've always thought Wentz would make a good #4 or 5 at this level. 

So yes, I was always a supporter but...

No, I didn't (and don't) think he would be better than Manning.

But I'll take a 5th starter out of him if we can get it...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

Contract and service time rules can make teams (and fans) impatient with guys who need time to get their command together after a TJ. Some guys snap right back, but not all. I think sometimes if results aren't there immediately the temptation is to write guys off when they still have a shot at more improvement.

I've always thought Wentz would make a good #4 or 5 at this level. 

So yes, I was always a supporter but...

No, I didn't (and don't) think he would be better than Manning.

But I'll take a 5th starter out of him if we can get it...

I do think he's more of a 4/5 type, but it blows my mind how little people talk about Wentz in terms of next years rotation. He's kind of the forgotten man.

He's absolutely another piece who is in the mix...

Edited by mtutiger

Oh I've mentioned him multiple times...

As G2 points out though... it took him a little time to fully get back from TJ, including (or especially) the command & control part...

I know you have... my perception was that he was written off a bit after his ML debut, but that's not necessarily universal 

Glad to have some additional support...!

Yeah... he had a bit of a rough start.

But I won't put that on any of these rookies or 2nd/ 3rd year guys because they will all still have some Major League maturing/ growth curve to overcome. I sort of expect some foibles along the way... (well... not THIS level of issues that we've had to deal with, but... oh well... nothing we can do about it at this point except hope the issues diminish in a major way next year).

I have a good level of hope for next year... but it's heavily weighted towards all these young guys - Wentz included - being able to show some serious growth. That might take more than just one year to show up though...