09/17/2022 6:10 EDT Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers

casimir

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

One thing weird in the Soto situation is Dan Dickerson's conversation about him. Dan keeps acting like what's going on with Soto is some kind of mystery, when it's most obvious thing in the world: he's not throwing his slider effectively.

Arsenal aside and just looking at outcomes, he's above 5.0 BB/9 for his 4th MLB season.  Its fantastic that when its clicking, he's on.  But the walks are just too much.  13.1% vs 8.5% league BB% over his career.

To be completely honest, I'd be fine with nontendering him.  You just can't give up all of those free passes.  Or they have to be more willing to yank him quickly.  It seems like its pretty obvious whether its Jeckyl or Hyde after 2 batters.

47 minutes ago, casimir said:

To be completely honest, I'd be fine with nontendering him.  You just can't give up all of those free passes.  Or they have to be more willing to yank him quickly.  It seems like its pretty obvious whether its Jeckyl or Hyde after 2 batters.

two years out I'm beginning to think Hinch is a manager just a little too prone to playing personal favorites. If you have a set lineup of good players, that's not going to be a problem, but when you have a team where virtually every line-up spot is/should be up for grabs, I keep feeling like the approach is flawed.

Edited by gehringer_2

Agreed that Hinch "seems" like a very player friendly manager ala the NBA which might explain his reluctance to shut down harder on the Houston situation when there. However the trend is naturally going to be that way as salaries rise for players so does their influence. I'm sure owners don't want the manager "upsetting" their big investment also so it's a tough spot. I guess that's why Baseball managers main job is handling personnel rather than in game management.