Miggy contract the WORST in MLB history

AlKaline

I saw Sayles in the beginning of some lame movie. It was one that came on after one I had just finished. It was bad.  I just thought “that’s the writer from eight men out”. Wasn’t until later I learned his history and he was a legit independent filmmaker and writer.  He helped out with Apollo 13 and wrote something that eventually became ET. 

44 minutes ago, oblong said:

I saw Sayles in the beginning of some lame movie. It was one that came on after one I had just finished. It was bad.  I just thought “that’s the writer from eight men out”. Wasn’t until later I learned his history and he was a legit independent filmmaker and writer.  He helped out with Apollo 13 and wrote something that eventually became ET. 

Yeah, Sayles was, shall we say, eclectic?  The same guy that wrote Piranha, Alligator, and The Howling (which was a howl), also had a hand in writing the two classics you mentioned.  8 Men Out remains a favorite of mine no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 12:43 AM, AlKaline said:

You don’t give a 31 yr old large, somewhat overweight player nearly 300 million dollars. And it has been an utter disaster that set back this organization for years. 
Aside from missing over 400 games in the 9 yrs of the contract, Cabrera has been a .255 hitter the last 4-5 years with a pathetic 141 HR’s in the last 9 yrs. 

The Miggy re-signing, IMO, made sense at the time the deal was signed. The Tigers were still in the hunt for a championship, and I'm happier that one of the most productive hitters of the time was incorporated into that, rather than some "hi potential up side" recycling project signed on the cheap.   True, Miggy  has been little more than a circus side show as he  accumulates milestones....., but this organization has not been serious about contending for some time, so in an odd way I have found solace in the knowledge that the opportunity has not come cheaply to these penny pinchers.

Those of you still trying to make sense if the Verlander trade, save yourself the aggravation....it WAS a salary dump.Don't be seduced by the spin doctors...it WAS ALL ABOUT "cheap".  They would have traded Miggy too if they could have found a taker.

Hope this helps. 😜

20 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

The Miggy re-signing,...

Ironically, I would argue Cabrera was  the kind of hitter that signing to that age was more seasonable, and the truth is, he still has hitting skills - witness a 300 BA through half this season. Cabrera has been done in by injury to a much larger degree than 'aging out'. So in Cabrera's case, it wasn't to much that he was already 30, it's that *any* long term deal can go bad given injury. And the other weird thing with Miguel is that while he had the arm and ankle injuries put him on the dl, as far as I can remember, he's never even suffered an explicit acute injury to the knee that put him on the dl at the time. I guess it's more a degeneration issue.

You know? At the time I still had hopes we might snag a championship. And as such I would have been outraged if they had let Miggy walk.  So, I'm glad that our organization had the will to do what was necessary towards that end.

I don't think the current troops have the ballz to make anything like that happen today.

Hey, 4 consecutive division championships, 3 consecutive ALCS?  I'm just glad that I got to witness the golden age of Tigers baseball. It ain't never coming back. Not like that, anyway.