Jump to content

Miggy contract the WORST in MLB history


AlKaline
 Share

Recommended Posts

You don’t give a 31 yr old large, somewhat overweight player nearly 300 million dollars. And it has been an utter disaster that set back this organization for years. 
Aside from missing over 400 games in the 9 yrs of the contract, Cabrera has been a .255 hitter the last 4-5 years with a pathetic 141 HR’s in the last 9 yrs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AlKaline said:

You don’t give a 31 yr old large, somewhat overweight player nearly 300 million dollars. And it has been an utter disaster that set back this organization for years. 
Aside from missing over 400 games in the 9 yrs of the contract, Cabrera has been a .255 hitter the last 4-5 years with a pathetic 141 HR’s in the last 9 yrs. 

The end of the contract is the reward for the meat of the contract. The money was spread out a couple of extra years knowing that the value of 10 million dollars was different from 10 million dollars 9 years later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's bad, but there's a lot of competition for bad MLB contracts. Off the top of my head here are some pretty bad contracts: 

Strasbourg, Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Anthony Rendon, Vernon Wells, Prince Fielder, and I'm probably forgetting a dozen pitchers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

It likely prevented them from resigning Scherzer and/or Verlander. No way to know for sure though. 

This was the team-killer, right here.

If Miggy's contract did indeed cause this ripple effect...

then, yeah, an argument could be made...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

It likely prevented them from resigning Scherzer and/or Verlander. No way to know for sure though. 

It seems like the Scherzer deal was more about a clash of egos.  Just from what I remember, reading through the tea leaves, there was some back and forth discussion about an extension and then an absolute about face that nearly included name calling from both sides.  It just seemed like a negotiation that never went anywhere and someone walked away from the table and that was that.

Verlander was just an awful trade that didn't need to be made.  But, bad GM did bad GM things, and here we are.

I don't think Cabrera's contract factored in either case.  That's not to say Cabrera's contract extension wasn't bad.  The extension started in what, 2016?  I estimated OPS+ for the time period, weighted by season OPS+ & season PAs, but it should be a reasonable guesstimate.

image.png.2787b10cb323649ac0be846c9ad9118d.png

Maybe its just me, but that 162 game average is unimpressive for the contract that he has.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe Scherzer was hell bent on becoming a FA just so he could do his job to help raise the bar for others, unless he got a very very good deal from the Tigers before.  But Ilitch probably didn't want to pay him more than Verlander, or Cabrera, and as a result got butt hurt when a player dare reject his "goodwill".  You don't say no to Mike Ilitch.  Doesn't matter if you are future HOFer's like Max Scherzer, Sparky Anderson, or Sergei Fedorov. 

So Mike made Dombrowski issue a press release to announce that negotiations broke off after they offered Max a huge deal.  Before the season.

Classy as always, those Ilitches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, casimir said:

It seems like the Scherzer deal was more about a clash of egos.  Just from what I remember, reading through the tea leaves, there was some back and forth discussion about an extension and then an absolute about face that nearly included name calling from both sides.  It just seemed like a negotiation that never went anywhere and someone walked away from the table and that was that.

Verlander was just an awful trade that didn't need to be made.  But, bad GM did bad GM things, and here we are.

I don't think Cabrera's contract factored in either case.  That's not to say Cabrera's contract extension wasn't bad.  The extension started in what, 2016?  I estimated OPS+ for the time period, weighted by season OPS+ & season PAs, but it should be a reasonable guesstimate.

image.png.2787b10cb323649ac0be846c9ad9118d.png

Maybe its just me, but that 162 game average is unimpressive for the contract that he has.

That's better than I thought.  He's still WAR-wise in the bottom rung of regulars over that period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

That's better than I thought.  He's still WAR-wise in the bottom rung of regulars over that period.

According to WAR, Miggy's last good year was in 2016, around a 5-win player.  Since then, he's been a -2-win player over the last 6 years.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing that made the Miggy contract so bad aside from his performance of course was the timing, they didn't need to give it to him, they still had him under control for 2 more seasons. Why not wait a year or even wait till free agency to see if he shown any chinks in the armor, another player(s) from the system broke out that could take his spot or if the overall franchise nosedived and you wanted to go into a full rebuild t? They signed him at his absolute peak value for peak value, nobody could've foreseen this type of collapse but he would've needed to perform at peak numbers through the whole contract to make it make sense from a dollars to production standpoint.

My theory has always been that Mr. I just didn't know how much time he had left and he wanted to make sure that he rewarded Miggy and that he retired as a Tiger cause if Mike were to die before Miggy's contract came up there was a strong chance that his son or new owner if team was sold wouldn't have paid him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The thing that made the Miggy contract so bad aside from his performance of course was the timing, they didn't need to give it to him, they still had him under control for 2 more seasons. Why not wait a year or even wait till free agency to see if he shown any chinks in the armor, another player(s) from the system broke out that could take his spot or if the overall franchise nosedived and you wanted to go into a full rebuild t? They signed him at his absolute peak value for peak value, nobody could've foreseen this type of collapse but he would've needed to perform at peak numbers through the whole contract to make it make sense from a dollars to production standpoint.

My theory has always been that Mr. I just didn't know how much time he had left and he wanted to make sure that he rewarded Miggy and that he retired as a Tiger cause if Mike were to die before Miggy's contract came up there was a strong chance that his son or new owner if team was sold wouldn't have paid him. 

I have a feeling that Scott Harris would not have made that deal.   I think he's gonna be more cutthroat. 

You need to decide - is it more important to constantly be good or worry who's hat someone will wear in the Hall Of Fame.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have a feeling that Scott Harris would not have made that deal.   I think he's gonna be more cutthroat. 

You need to decide - is it more important to constantly be good or worry who's hat someone will wear in the Hall Of Fame.  

Or how much do you have to bribe Rob Manfred to allow your guy to juice and play with a juiced ball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ben9753 said:

It's bad, but there's a lot of competition for bad MLB contracts. Off the top of my head here are some pretty bad contracts: 

Strasbourg, Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Anthony Rendon, Vernon Wells, Prince Fielder, and I'm probably forgetting a dozen pitchers.

Eric Hosmer...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

ntract to make it make sense from a dollars to production standpoint.

My theory has always been that Mr. I just didn't know how much time he had left and he wanted to make sure that he rewarded Miggy and that he retired as a Tiger cause if Mike were to die before Miggy's contract came up there was a strong chance that his son or new owner if team was sold wouldn't have paid him. 

IDK, I think it was more an ego gesture - "I am going to show just how much the Tigers are playing with the big boys on the coasts by writing just as big a contract as any they would..."

It's not like Cabrera was going to end up destitute on the street if his patron saint didn't take some special measures to take care of him - he was already a millionaire times over from the previous deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      185
    • Most Online
      119

    Newest Member
    roarintiger1
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...