Hutchibodlker

RedRamage

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ranking the top draft classes from the 2022 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Lions ranked 3rd. Kerby Joseph graded pretty well but there was strong competition at Safety this year. The Lions ranked 3rd without getting much from Williams which was expected and Paschal being injured. 

If Jamo turns into half of what his ceiling is we will end up with the best class by a wide margin.

The Jets are a team that's made for a veteran QB to walk into and succeed. I'm just leery about Brady. he's 46 at some point the decline is going to come and come quickly just like when Peyton Manning and Drew Brees suddenly fell off cliffs. I don't think Geno and the Jets would be interested in a reunion. I could see Derek Carr as a strong possibility. 

On 1/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, a great corner can do more than that - they also seal the ability to run wide and may even provide the occasional blitz. But any defensive player's impact is always also tied to the team. One DE's impact is largely driven by whether his line-mates are also good enough to make doubling him costly. Likewise the impact of a great corner is driven whether the other side of field is soft enough you never have to throw his way.

I still like having a great CB about as much as I like a great DE.

I think you have the DL thing a bit backwards...if the DL is good enough he forces a lot  double teams which frees up other pass rushers  (cf. Houston, James).  If he's really good..he just beats the double team.  Hutch is really good

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I think you have the DL thing a bit backwards...if the DL is good enough he forces a lot  double teams which frees up other pass rushers  (cf. Houston, James).  If he's really good..he just beats the double team.  Hutch is really good

but we are talking about a particular DE's stats/standing/talking head love. If he is drawing the double, other guys get the numbers, good for team, not so much for the player's image if you are just a casual fan counting sacks. Of course if he draws a double the whole line should preform better in aggregate, but even that won't happen if the other guys can't even beat their man solo - so no matter how you count things, Hutch will look better if: the team gets more sacks because the other guys can take advantage of him being doubled and he gets proper credit for that (which he still might not for people who don't look deeper), or he will get more sacks because other guys also draw an occasional double. In all cases, the better players next to him will make him look better too.

51 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I think Houston coming off the practice squad to average over a sack a game shows Hutch created a lot of opportunities. Cominsky had 1.5 sacks in 27 games in Atlanta and 4 in 14 with Detroit...sounds like he benefited from p!aging with Hutch

Exactly. And you know and I know Hutch is in part responsible for Houston's sacks, but Houston's sacks don't go on Hutch's Football Reference page and someone else who may not be as good will end up celebrated as the year's NFL sack leader, etc. That's where Hutch's 'success' in the most commonly given/media terms, suffers. You are referencing what he really does, but I'm referencing more the amount of popular credit/acclaim he is going to get for doing it. 

And the other effect is that if you can put better players next to him that break up those doubles more often, it's only human nature the you help increase his motivation knowing he's got a better chance to make a play, and probably cut down on his wear and tear also, so in the long run you still don't want to leave that guy out there on a island indefinitely as the only good player on his line.

Popular acclaim lead to ABBA selling more records than the Ramones.  That's the value I place on popular acclaim.

But I digress...you need a dominant edge and a shutdown corner.  We have the edge and we have a chance to get the other this year.

I 'm giddy

Edited by Shinzaki

19 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

We have the edge and we have a chance to get the other this year.

Yeah - I'm all on a good corner. And the other neat thing with a finding a shut-down corner is that it can bump each other guy in the secondary to an easier cover. Mulitplication by addition.

Edited by gehringer_2